Canoe on roof, where to tie it in the front?

2 hours ago, billfl said:

If my eyes don't deceive me, in that picture, there is a plastic/vinyl protector on the rope that touches the hood

it still sitting on the clear coat, which will create friction, which will induce marring and scratching to the paint and the heat will possibly create premature clear coat failure

17 hours ago, Nick Halstead said:

it still sitting on the clear coat, which will create friction, which will induce marring and scratching to the paint and the heat will possibly create premature clear coat failure

16 hours ago, Chipster said:

Bill, you mention that the canoe only weighs 50#. Don't forget the wind load while in transit may double that. Those foam blocks will turn into sanding blocks with the least bit of grime between them and the vehicles clear coat.

thanks for the concern. I transported it with blocks on the roof of my Mustang for years. Not a lick of problems and that is a Ford as well, and I'd hope the 2 stage finsih that Ford uses today is at least of similar quality.

• 9 months later...

Make a set up tie down strap loops that you can flip out from under the hood when needed.  Take a piece of strap (the kind from a ratcheting strap), aboout 8-12" and double it over.  Heat up a nail while holding it with a pliers.  Now melt a hole near the cut end of the strap with the hot nail. The nail will melt the nylon with out fraying and weakening the strap.  Open your hood and remove a fender bolt up near the back of the hood.  Insert bolt through strap and reinstall the bolt under hood.