Clunking transmission sound

Jimmyw86

49 minutes ago, Jimmyw86 said:

Whenever it gets cold outside and I do a cold startup on my Edge, it makes a very audible clunking sound when I put it in reverse or drive. Is that normal? Also, I've noticed this vehicle blows out a lot of smoke when I do a cold start.

Sure its not just steam? Get a quick smell of the cloud it emits.. it should smell a little like stale chemicals but not burn the eyes or smell like gasoline. I have noticed that these engines have an aggressive warm up cycle and will hold idle pretty high to reach engine operating temp. When i remote start mine on a sub 10 degree day it fogs my yard so bad i sometimes cant see the car from the house. I'm guessing the turbo holds heat fairly well and at last shutdown on a cold day may condense alot of water in the upper exhaust system. It woudl get hot there fast and get converted back to steam during warm up. 

Steam is just what TGDI engines do on cold days.  My Focus ST did the same thing when starting out in the cold.  Starting mom's MKC and dad's Escape in the garage does the same thing.  The Edge is the same and the higher idle and sounding like a diesel at start and warmup is just the nature of the beast.  The clunk is probably just everything engaging, the transmission and the PTU and cold fluid.  I do not notice it but I am not paying attention to it either. 

7 hours ago, Jimmyw86 said:

Whenever it gets cold outside and I do a cold startup on my Edge, it makes a very audible clunking sound when I put it in reverse or drive. Is that normal? Also, I've noticed this vehicle blows out a lot of smoke when I do a cold start.

This thing definitely exhausts a ton warming up. I've had it clunk if I haven't let it warm up enough, especially if I give it gas too quick after shifting. It's been so cold here this winter things need extra time.