New owner - need mods

Hey everyone.  I’m the proud owner of a preowned 2016 Ford Edge Sport.  I’m coming off of owning a Mazdaspeed3 that had pretty much every modification other than a bigger turbo you could think of.  It was fun to work on but after I had kids it started to decline and I’m very happy with the stress free Edge, however the mod bug has definitely stayed with me.

I’m going to be getting the LMS tuner soon, but would love some stuff in the engine bay.  I came across this custom intake, has anyone tried anything like this?  I know how to get the filters, it’s just the metal tubing that would be the issue.

193CB369-688E-4454-A33F-5556CE4AEB68.jpeg

Welcome and congrats!  There have been a few attempts at this type of setup.  Since you are already a "modder" :)  you know leaving the filters open to the engine bay does not make for good performance.  It is basically a CAI from factory.

Xtra and snmjim would be the top of my list to follow regarding mods.  But definitely quite a few people have helped move this platform along.

• Like 1

On 4/14/2019 at 5:08 PM, SallySpeed said:

Hey everyone.  I’m the proud owner of a preowned 2016 Ford Edge Sport.  I’m coming off of owning a Mazdaspeed3 that had pretty much every modification other than a bigger turbo you could think of.  It was fun to work on but after I had kids it started to decline and I’m very happy with the stress free Edge, however the mod bug has definitely stayed with me.

I’m going to be getting the LMS tuner soon, but would love some stuff in the engine bay.  I came across this custom intake, has anyone tried anything like this?  I know how to get the filters, it’s just the metal tubing that would be the issue

Hello and welcome to the forum . I made a set of these a long time ago that even had a port for the stock sensor unlike the ones you show. At first I thought they were great but when tested fully they failed  big time. As long as I just went around the block and the engine was cold they worked fine. As soon as the car got warmed up the under hood temps were off the chart and the engine started throwing warning lights and had a huge loss of power.  The air under the hood is way too hot and thin for this type of intake. Been there done that :)post-46130-0-68519100-1493155568_thumb.jpg

Hope is not lost, things are in the works.:whistling:

Special_K and snmjim have set up a page that you should find very helpful.

https://www.fordedgeforum.com/topic/24317-the-ultimate-27tt-aftermarket-parts-thread/

Edited by Xtra
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, WWWPerfA_ZN0W said:

Welcome and congrats!  There have been a few attempts at this type of setup.  Since you are already a "modder" :)  you know leaving the filters open to the engine bay does not make for good performance.  It is basically a CAI from factory.

Xtra and snmjim would be the top of my list to follow regarding mods.  But definitely quite a few people have helped move this platform along.

Well that’s just the thing, with the speed 3 it didn’t matter if you did CAI or short ram. The turbo brought in so much air so fast that the engine temps didn’t seem to affect it that much. This car is clearly very different.

thanks for your input Xtra, I’m all about engine bling but not at the expense of performance, and I especially don’t want to start throwing codes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, SallySpeed said:

I’m going to be getting the LMS tuner soon, but would love some stuff in the engine bay.  I came across this custom intake, has anyone tried anything like this?  I know how to get the filters, it’s just the metal tubing that would be the issue.

Welcome to the small world of Edge. Just for size comparisons, say your mazda is supported by the aftermarket community with 1,000. parts, you just bought a vehicle with about 10 on the market and thats 10 with mom and pop shops, not big brand aftermarket support since 2015. Happy modding, wont take long to max it out.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Welcome to the small but fun world of the ford Edge sport world.  Xtra already posted the parts thread that i have created with the help of the community.  Please feel free to ask any questions we are all here to help and provide input for inquisitive minds. 

P.S. - Nick a quick glance at my not updated parts thread there is 32 aftermarket parts and about 8 that need to be added ;-)  not bad for a small world :-)

• Like 1

On ‎4‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 7:09 PM, SallySpeed said:

Well that’s just the thing, with the speed 3 it didn’t matter if you did CAI or short ram. The turbo brought in so much air so fast that the engine temps didn’t seem to affect it that much. This car is clearly very different.

thanks for your input Xtra, I’m all about engine bling but not at the expense of performance, and I especially don’t want to start throwing codes.

BTW the MZR platform is what i commonly mod, my personal speed 6 had 456hp on the stock bottom end and i helped Justin (freektune) and Bryan (BNR) test and introduce the S4 and S5 turbos.  Those things are straight up monsters.  Also the mazdaspeed stock k04 sucks about 35% more air than the stock 2.7 ecoboost BorgWarner 15 series, which heavily rely on cool air for power.

I helped Justin with his old setup in the silver MS3 before he got his new record breaking white one.  if you have any questions about either platform, feel free to ask 

• Like 1