Edge Low Speed Surge/Buck - Transmission

Toby99

Same with mine but at slower speed, 15 -20 mph.

I took my 2019 Edge in again.  Dealership had the vehicle for a month.  Was told TSB 21-2389 was done.  I never asked for a ticket so I don't know if that is true.  Still have the issue.

Also asked to check the bouncing tach at each shift and the sensitive throttle pedal.  Still have both of those issues.

My throttle is only sensitive with the tune installed. Now I’m stock and it’s a dead throttle to me hah. 

the tach has always bounced when shifting since day one for me. It’s like the 8 speed is a 16 speed. 

the hiccuping is what really irks me. I have an appointment on the 21st for a bunch of maintenance stuff and checking everything before my 3/36 is up in June. 

Really tired of it. My house has a 'U' shaped driveway. When I leave and am going down a steep grade (+15%), the transmission will sometimes not shift into 2nd (or 3rd). At the bottom of the 'U', most times I'll come to a complete stop, then a HARD shift into 2nd (or 3rd?). Clunks. Just waiting for the tranny to drop out! I'll sometimes try to trick it by pressing on the accelerator, no real change except to chirp the tires. So for now, Neutral until the end of the driveway which is lower than my start.

I have gotten every TSB (like others, not really sure they do it). The dealership always puts 'Unable to reproduce'... They can't seem to get the Clunk from Park into Reverse. This is worst when I put in Park then need to Reverse to adjust a parking spot.

Car is paid off and I have an extended warranty through Ford until 9/2025 so not really worried (PremiumCare $0 deductible). I drive less than 5k/yr so it was very reasonable. If the car market was normal, I'd be trading/selling since the warranty can be transferred.

28 minutes ago, bobyellow said:

If the car market was normal, I'd be trading/selling since the warranty can be transferred.

Normal or not, I'm ready to sell. I have ~40K miles on my 2019 Edge and the same bucking issues we're all reporting here. Here's my question: How should I characterize my vehicle to prospective buyers? Yeah, I know, "as is", but do I point it out? If a potential buyer mentions it, do I just tell him/her that it's covered under the powertrain warranty?

29 minutes ago, 52K said:

Normal or not, I'm ready to sell. I have ~40K miles on my 2019 Edge and the same bucking issues we're all reporting here. Here's my question: How should I characterize my vehicle to prospective buyers? Yeah, I know, "as is", but do I point it out? If a potential buyer mentions it, do I just tell him/her that it's covered under the powertrain warranty?

Tough call and I wouldn't want to be the buyer. Get the most recent TSB done and hope no surges during a test drive!

• Like 1

Glad they were able to diagnose it.

The reset they did to my vehicle is so far flawless. Love it. Will be buying it at end of my lease in June. 33,k so far. Love it.

Its a shame we all had to do through this.

I bet that my next Edge EV (when it comes out) will be better then this.

GLTA

Rafeek

Edited by rafeeki

Had a thought as to why are vehicle issue has not been resolved.

Last time I picked up my Edge the technician mentioned he does not get paid unless the vehicle is fixed.  Didn't think much about that statement since we were still discussing the vehicle's problems.  Is that a correct statement or maybe varies with dealership? 

If true, the techs know Ford is not providing a valid fix so they don't spend any time diagnosing the problem or attempting a fix. Ford hasn't provided one.  Why waste time on a job that will not be fixed and see no payment for the time spent. 

Hi everyone,

I purchased a used 2020 Ford Edge SEL in February with a very low 10,000 miles on it. I traded my '15 Escape in. It's a beautiful car, has everything I wanted.

But I fear I am having the same transmission issue as many have mentioned here. It took me a couple of weeks to really get a feel for the car - I wish it was something I'd noticed on the test drive. How convenient... ?

Anyway, I've had to take it for service for something else under warranty (new blind spot sensor) and asked for transmission guy to assess as well. I reported my experience - jerky, hesitant from 0-40 mph, seems to really struggle to find 3rd gear. When I drive in "sport" mode just to see where it's having the most trouble, sometimes it just revs in 3rd.  The transmission seems "noisy" to me too, in that it intermittently makes a light "buzz" sound right before it shifts. 

As I expected, they called and said they did not experience any of this, and that there were no error codes, so "it's fine." They also said "the bulletin" refers to harsh upshift and "that doesn't really fit." The only bulletin I was referencing was  21-2389.  

Now, I know it's a different car from my old Escape, different transmission, different everything! But I'd expect a newer, more expensive car (with only 10k miles) to drive better, smoother than the old car. But it doesn't. 
I'm not sure what to do as they are telling me it's "normal." I've had a ride in the exact same car (it's the Dealership shuttle) and although I'm not the driver, I can tell it does not have this same behavior. 

I'm not sure what to do. It is still under warranty - but if they don't feel it has this issue, is this not something they will investigate further for me? If I want them to reprogram the PCM as the bulletin suggests, would they then charge me out of pocket for that? Or just refuse? I don't want to go to another dealership, but I may have to. It is getting frustrating having to go entire days without a car while they look at it (the blind spot issue has taken 4 visits so far). 

Any recent experiences escalating to Ford? 

I feel so sad, because it's only been a couple of months and I am constantly worried about this and if I'm going to hate this car and have buyers remorse. It's like I am always wondering what *else* is going to happen. ?

Any experience or ideas appreciated. 

On 5/1/2022 at 7:57 PM, ca40lin3 said:

Hi everyone,

I purchased a used 2020 Ford Edge SEL in February with a very low 10,000 miles on it. I traded my '15 Escape in. It's a beautiful car, has everything I wanted.

You cant give up. This is a wonderful car once all is straightened out.

When u go back just tell them something is wrong with the transmission.... Don't give them any tsb number. They'll figure it out...

Edited by 1004ron
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, rafeeki said:

You cant give up. This is a wonderful car once all is straightened out.

When u go back just tell them something is wrong with the transmission.... Don't give them any tsb number. They'll figure it out...

Thank you. I wonder if I should try at another dealership. The first one has already decided it's fine.  ?

I want so much to love my car, I don't even feel like it's mine yet because I've just been getting things fixed that the selling dealership should've... 

Hoping for good news and to hear that others have been successful. 

2 hours ago, ca40lin3 said:

Thank you. I wonder if I should try at another dealership. The first one has already decided it's fine.  ?

I want so much to love my car, I don't even feel like it's mine yet because I've just been getting things fixed that the selling dealership should've... 

Hoping for good news and to hear that others have been successful. 

I suggest you stick with the same dealer ship and request that you ride along with the technician with you driving would be best so u can simulate the condition or not. I had mine corrected. It took less than the one hour I normally wait for an oil change. They said they had to follow a tsb that was out. I may have referred to it in my post here about a month ago.

In your case I would NOT go in telling them what to do. Just tell them what's the matter with it.

Don't forget you have a 50,000 mile drivetrain warranty on it. 

Best

Rafeek

Edited by rafeeki

• 2 weeks later...

Same here.  28k miles.  No change.  Problem persists.

I'm on the phone with customer service.   Same response as always.  "CS can't provide any technical support.  Need to take the vehicle to the dealership service department."   Asked to speak to a supervisor.  Was transferred to a survey.  After answering the questions, phone disconnected.

Update:

Dealer has replaced the torque converter, rear brakes, oil change, and are currently awaiting a replacement EGR valve which should arrive today. I'm not sure if there was an actual issue with the EGR or if they are playing it safe.

I look forward to getting more than 21.5 mpg mixed again.

Icy,

Looked at your video.  Did you see the tach bounce at each shift or at a steady speed?  I asked my dealer service to looked at that specific issue.  They claimed they could not duplicate issue.  How did you get your service department to diagnosis the torque converter?

1 hour ago, Toby99 said:

Icy,

Looked at your video.  Did you see the tach bounce at each shift or at a steady speed?  I asked my dealer service to looked at that specific issue.  They claimed they could not duplicate issue.  How did you get your service department to diagnosis the torque converter?

this was at a steady speed. And they said they plugged in their computer and it failed the torque converter. I wish they would just diagnose the old fashioned way. 

Granted the tach did not bounce like that in the beginning but just kind of surged at steady speeds around 40mph on a flat road. I guess it got worse to the point where the torque converter ultimately failed. 

26 minutes ago, Toby99 said:

Thanks.  Mine will bounce at each shift.  As rpm increases and the tach/engine reaches the shift point, the rpm will drop, then increases about 300 rpm, then settles back down.  Does it all the time at each shift.

mine did that since day one. Acts like a 16 speed instead of 8. I wonder if that’s torque management and is normal. Have to admit the Edge is the first vehicle I’ve seen that does this and assume it’s normal. It does the same in manual shifting too. 

Much like the earlier posts on this issue, my 2019 SEL has started the low speed shudder shifts.  Took it to the dealer (under warranty) and they kept it for over 3 weeks.   After much “evaluation” they’ve diagnosed it with a defective torque converter and low fluid.   They described the problem as :   Defective Torque converter causes fluid to overheat…fluid then pushes out through the electrical connector seal (apparently where the ecm control wires go) and then trans is low on fluid, which exacerbates the shudder symptom.

Parts on order… they returned the Edge and said it was ok to drive until they get parts.

Expected arrival of parts is 2-3 weeks.

Edited by 1004ron
Moved to existing thread on the same topic

Ugh, really starting to hate this car.  For me the shuttering and jerkiness is usually very noticeable when it's hot outside and the A/C is on.  As I live in NY, it's been behaving itself for the last few months, but I really only use the car to go back and fourth to work, 95% city driving, and have just under 13,000 miles in less than 3 years.

Was running some errands and driving a bit more than I usually do, then the shaking/jerkiness started, then occasionally, when stopped at a stop sign, put my foot on the gas, and no response,  eventually the car starts moving as it should and seem fine while in motion.  Stop and pick up food, left car running for 3 min, get back in, burning smell.  Check whole car, can't see anything smoking, doesn't seems like it's coming form the vents, put on temperature gage, holding steady in the middle.  Was only 2 miles from home, started moving, look in my rearview and see smoke coming from the rear, pulled over, can't see where it's coming from and had stopped.  It was raining and there is a bit of road construction by me, so figured something got on the bottom and was burning off.  Got home, engine temp, still fine.  Looked under car, under hood, can't see/smell anything wrong.  Of course there are no warning lights on at all. 

Next day, it's warm out, remote start car for 5 min, go out, burning smell again, open door-"LOW COOLANT LEVEL", press ok, ENGINE OVER TEMP/TURN OFF VEHICLE", again, after 5 min of idling(it was sitting in the sun).  Shut off car and just had it towed.  Dunno if the jerkiness and this are related, but it makes me hate & resent this car.

It's leased, up in September, and due to the world we live in now(far different from when leased in 2019)/ my incredibly low mileage, I kind of have to purchase this car and use the equity to get something else(buy out is under "24k and can prob get somewhere around 30k on a trade-in).  I'd like to purchase it, keep for a couple of months and trade in on a used luxury model(another brand), but I can't deal with this crap.  I don't like breaking down in a car with less than 13K miles on it.

Sorry to ramble, very frustrating.  Will keep you posted..

IMG_2760 (1).jpg