So is this more snake oil ?

vmaxbaby

I know tuning is the best way for sure because you get to adjust allot more parameters but the local dealer that would service the car I know it would be a fight if they saw I tuned it if I had to do warranty work.  And I know they have to prove it but it is just the hassle of going through it.  I like the point that it leaves no trace so if it goes to the dealer you take it off.   I think once my car has 3-5k miles on it I might take a chance on it and if I don't like it or it doesn't do anything I will ship it back.    Once I decide to pull the trigger on it I will of course post up my results if there is any because one thing about me I don't BS about products even if I buy them and they are crap I am not that person that says " Oh it is great you need to get one"  I will warn everyone off :) 

• Like 1

Sounds good bud!  Just please be careful, there is no way to monitor your timing or boost.  A car can feel the same with 6 more psi of boost, then once you grenade a motor (which many have done).  What the boost max usually does is trick the throttle/boost/timing tables to trick the car into bring boost in earlier.  This WILL grenade a motor, especially with the GT15 style turbos the sport/st has that are most efficient below 3000 rpm, and will easily build 26psi if not controlled.  I just dont wanna see a fellow member become a statistic 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, vmaxbaby said:

I know tuning is the best way for sure because you get to adjust allot more parameters but the local dealer that would service the car I know it would be a fight if they saw I tuned it if I had to do warranty work.  And I know they have to prove it but it is just the hassle of going through it.  I like the point that it leaves no trace so if it goes to the dealer you take it off.   I think once my car has 3-5k miles on it I might take a chance on it and if I don't like it or it doesn't do anything I will ship it back.    Once I decide to pull the trigger on it I will of course post up my results if there is any because one thing about me I don't BS about products even if I buy them and they are crap I am not that person that says " Oh it is great you need to get one"  I will warn everyone off :) 

If you run one these and its like most of the others, it does spoof the sensor and therefore the computer into changing some response to give an impression of higher performance( i say impression because  its not a uniform boost across the operating range, just off line throttle  responses). Fords biggest advantage in their computers controls is what is called "adaptive" strategy. The computer learns what is going on and continues to make adjustments, so that a car with 1K miles or 100k miles will still run and usually pass emission standards and give reasonable drivability. Often times after a change of plugs and coils on a high mileage vehicle it will take the computer several start run stop cycles to readapt, which frustrates the bejesus out of mechanics.

The point of this is  taking the over-ride out of the system for a quick trip to the dealer may result in poor performanc,e and while not throwing a code may show some out of whack parameters on a dealers machine.

Having dealt with computer tuners of all types since 1985 (last year of any carberated ford). I can tell you in the long run a true tuner of any brand that actually lifts out and stores your factory tune and replaces it with a custom tune will give you much more performance and enhanced drivability over the life of the vehicle. Many of the new tuners allow shift on the fly between several tunes (towing, daily driving, race act).

I'm no longer in the car biz, so i'm not promoting one brand over another.

Edited by BAYLENSMAN
  • Like 2

This only fools your Boost sensor, all other sensors (including knock sensor) remains unaffected i.e. ECU still manages all other sensors and AFR's. You will see the shape of the power curves on the dyno look virtually identical, just higher. With tunes, you will usually see the shape change completely change as the tuners remove boost limits/adjust timing etc. You can make much more power with a tune, but you can do just as much damage with a bad tune. 

At the end of the day, you pay to play. There is no such thing as a free ride :)

I had something similar on my Jeep CRD; that one plugged into the diesel rail (and I think one other sensor, cant remember, I am getting too old...) and adjusted the fueling, resulting in the ECU requesting more Boost to get fuel ratios right. The way we tuned that one was to increase boost incrementally till the car went into limp mode at WOT. Then we dialed it one step back. 50 000km no problems and that thing literally went up and down mountains. Before modifying the Jeep, we agreed that if we blow the engine, will will just get a new one. We knew the risk, we were willing to pay to play.

Called Flowmaster about this to get more info.  The sales guy was very knowledgeable about the device and he claims that the computer will adjust for fuel when the computer call for it at the level this adjust which is 3lbs of boost factory.  They have tested this for a year on different vehicles before they released it and according to him and to date nobody has called them about a blown engine.  Now if this did something like 10lbs boost than I would not walk away I would run away from this but for 3lbs I will roll the dice since the motor has a 60K warranty and the dealer can't tell it was ever on.  But having less than 300 miles on my car will wait for a while.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, vmaxbaby said:

Called Flowmaster about this to get more info.  The sales guy was very knowledgeable about the device and he claims that the computer will adjust for fuel when the computer call for it at the level this adjust which is 3lbs of boost factory.  They have tested this for a year on different vehicles before they released it and according to him and to date nobody has called them about a blown engine.  Now if this did something like 10lbs boost than I would not walk away I would run away from this but for 3lbs I will roll the dice since the motor has a 60K warranty and the dealer can't tell it was ever on.  But having less than 300 miles on my car will wait for a while.

Good luck!

On 6/14/2019 at 2:32 PM, vmaxbaby said:

Yip, like i said :)

Let us know how it goes.