Extended Service/Warranty: to buy or not to buy

luxpow

My original warranty on 2016 Edge Titanium (fully loaded) will expire in a couple of days.

I am thinking of not getting an extended warranty/service plan.

Am I making a mistake. What would I be missing ?

How much does an extended warranty cost approximately ?

Many thanks in advance for your reply !

Edited by luxpow

Thanks guys !

As luck would have it, my battery just died. 

Quite strange given the car hasnt completed 3 years yet. California weather is not that harsh either.

So new question, does the bumper-to-bumper warranty on 2016 edge cover battery as well ?

The warranty docs dont mention battery anywhere (neither in covered nor in not-covered)

• 3 weeks later...

We just bought the '16 Edge two weeks ago. My son spotted it on a dealer lot while scanning AutoTrader and thought we might be interested. Nice clean 'snow bird' vehicle that had never seen Ontario's salt or winter driving. Had 48,000 Kms on it when we bought it.

Selling Dealer pushed the Extended Warranty with a disclaimer that it had to be in place before the warranty expired this August. However, two Dealers in Ontario sell the Premium CARE Ford Extended Warranty at literally wholesale, and without restrictions as to timing, or mileage. Considering the quote that the selling Dealer gave me was way too high, this was a refreshing discovery. And, there is the element of how difficult it was to find the true cost of an EW ... the numbers were all over the map, no MSRP to be found. Like the Universe was saying 'You don't need it"

So right now, I'm leaning toward not buying the warranty and seeing what happens next ... if I never have to fix anything significant, then the cost to buy the warranty will have been saved and applied to future repairs. 

When you consider that we've never bought an extended warranty on any vehicle, home appliance, or heating / AC system we've ever owned I think we have a handle on this.

(I have a '78 Dodge, and a '91 Isuzu in the garage and we just sent our 21 year old '99 Pontiac Montana van to the scrap yard after several systems failed at once).

Ya, we keep them a long time, but don't go far with them.

Thoughts, Anyone?

3 hours ago, 2016 Edge Titanium AWD said:

When you consider that we've never bought an extended warranty on any vehicle, home appliance, or heating / AC system we've ever owned I think we have a handle on this.

I always decline all extended warranties and take my chances.    If you try to pick and choose you will never pick right. 

The 2.0L EB is a reliable engine and I've not heard of any common transmission failures.  A steering rack is kinda pricey, but it can be done a lot cheaper than people who quote dealer prices for it.  If it's AWD, the PTUs are a problem and do fail at high rates, although your 2016 should have a drain plug and simply changing the fluid every 30K miles or so avoids nearly all issues with them.

• Like 1

No, the PTU is still there.    Not sure why you got that from that thread.    They have revised it over the years, but it's still there, and still a problem.  It's at least serviceable with a drain plug though, which is key.    The older ones had no drain plugs and Ford said they were "good for life", which was a complete joke.  

• Like 1

One can buy the ESP after the 3yr 36K warranty expires. One would need to have it inspected by a dealership and then submit the form stating that the vehicle is in good health and free of any pre-existing issues that one would claim under warranty. 

The warranty will cost more than if it was purchased during the 3 yr/ 36k warranty period. 

Edited by onyxbfly

On 6/29/2019 at 4:57 PM, 037 said:

Www.floodfordesp.com 

Get your quote, buy it, pass it on. 

7/100 0 deductible with lights set me back 2k on a Lincoln. Dealer confirmed they saw it in their system as Premium care, best you can get. 

Is Flood Ford the discount dealer of choice for ESP or are there others.

Getting an '18 Fusion Hybrid in a few days and want the ESP Price in my pocket before I do all the paper work.

Thanks

1 hour ago, bcultra said:

Is Flood Ford the discount dealer of choice for ESP or are there others.

Getting an '18 Fusion Hybrid in a few days and want the ESP Price in my pocket before I do all the paper work.

Thanks

Its a dealer with the cheapest up front no hassle ESP rates. Make sure you get the premium care and I suggest no deductible so you don't have to ask your self twice before taking car in. 

52 minutes ago, 037 said:

Its a dealer with the cheapest up front no hassle ESP rates. Make sure you get the premium care and I suggest no deductible so you don't have to ask your self twice before taking car in. 

If you do the math, you are better off with a deductible until you get to like 4 visits or so.  Given most people do the 100K warranty, and the power train is good until 60K miles, I don't see more than 3 or 4 visits being needed in the last 40K miles for most people.   Maybe one or two, and in that case you'c come out ahead with the lower upfront ESP price and higher deductible.  

My car is 2 years old, it has seen the dealer 6-8 times. I'm not playing deductible games to save $400. If I bought a Honda, sure. With a Ford... Let them fix it until they paid it 3 times over. 

But that's just me, I like things to be predictable and planned. 

• Like 2

It's not a game- it's just math.   It costs more to get the lower deductible.  You have to visit the dealer for warranty service a certain number of times to re-coup that extra money paid up front.  The number depends on the ESP plan type and deductible you chose.   It's still 100% predictable and planned- you pay the deductible and Ford pays the rest.   

Do you have a $0 deductible on your car insurance?   Extended warranties are just insurance policies.  

You're not going to have 6-8 visits on an extended warranty.  You'd trade it before you got that far.

Personally I just don't understand the approach of "I'd like to spend thousands of dollars up front for something I may never use at all just so I don't have to spend hundreds down the road or an occasional few thousand dollar repair."   I typically keep vehicles 5-6 years and on those vehicles I've saved well over $10K by not buying any extended warranties.  I've only had a few small repairs.  Even if I had to spend $4K tomorrow I look at it as I'm still $6K ahead.  But I guess some people just can't stand the thought of an unexpected repair bill and don't mind wasting thousands of dollars.

Now if you can't afford a large repair then you should get the extended warranty but finance it with the vehicle so you're only paying a few dollars per month.   That makes sense.  But if you're paying $2K cash for a warranty you can certainly afford to pay for a repair.

/soapbox

• Like 1

I am not saying what I did works for everyone, happy for all to do their own math. Part of the reason for my warranty purchase is also to preserve car value when I do sell it. I barely keep cars over 2 years. It's also insurance if I decide to keep it longer. 

Akirby, I am glad your vehicles are that dependable, my luck with current vehicle has been a bit different, 20k+ of options alone mean a lot of things can break and they are all 1k parts. 

1 hour ago, 037 said:

I am not saying what I did works for everyone, happy for all to do their own math. Part of the reason for my warranty purchase is also to preserve car value when I do sell it. I barely keep cars over 2 years. It's also insurance if I decide to keep it longer. 

Akirby, I am glad your vehicles are that dependable, my luck with current vehicle has been a bit different, 20k+ of options alone mean a lot of things can break and they are all 1k parts. 

Once again, it's a math problem.  Ford knows how often parts will fail and how much they cost.  That's already factored into the cost.  If they were losing money they'd stop selling them or raise the price.

If you want the lowest cost, insure yourself for anything you can afford to repair or replace.   For everything else get the largest deductible you can afford.

If you don't care about costs then do whatever makes you feel the best.

• Like 1