Black lug nut replacements - finally!!

txaggie

One thing I have not been happy with are the chrome lug nuts on the black wheels.  Well, after trying ones from Gorilla and McGard, I finally located ones that work very well.  The issue with the others is that under the lug nuts Ford machined the holes to smooth the mating surface.  This leaves a silver ring, and the Gorilla and McGard were too small in diameter and they allowed the ring to be seen.  I finally found a company in California - https://veritekperformance.com/ 

lug nuts - VPE-1415FMFOEBK

locking - VPE-NFD1415LKBK

Looks like they are made for a Mustang, but they work incredibly well.  

3EF8FC6F-2507-43CB-A543-07B9587286AA.jpeg

4E83A66E-DE71-4880-8616-145CB6B8DCEA.jpeg

• Like 5

2 hours ago, txaggie said:

One thing I have not been happy with are the chrome lug nuts on the black wheels.  Well, after trying ones from Gorilla and McGard, I finally located ones that work very well.  The issue with the others is that under the lug nuts Ford machined the holes to smooth the mating surface.  This leaves a silver ring, and the Gorilla and McGard were too small in diameter and they allowed the ring to be seen.  I finally found a company in California - https://veritekperformance.com/ 

lug nuts - VPE-1415FMFOEBK

locking - VPE-NFD1415LKBK

Looks like they are made for a Mustang, but they work incredibly well.  

Nice find, but how good would the black finish stand to tightening/loosening of the lug nuts or the use of impact wrenches. With the black finish, any scratch will quickly become visible, unlike a chrome finish.

6 hours ago, omar302 said:

Nice find, but how good would the black finish stand to tightening/loosening of the lug nuts or the use of impact wrenches. With the black finish, any scratch will quickly become visible, unlike a chrome finish.

Not sure, I guess we’ll see.  However, I had black lug nuts on black custom wheels for my Ford Explorer for 7 years and they held up, so I’m going with them. :)

• Like 1

• 8 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 9 months later...

The Veritek lug nuts scuff way too easily. I used them from January until yesterday, when I removed them. I switched to McGard lugs, although those are 4x the price. I can't comment on how they will hold up yet, but the finish on them looks much more durable. 

• Like 2

On 5/26/2021 at 9:59 AM, smjayman said:

The Veritek lug nuts scuff way too easily. I used them from January until yesterday, when I removed them. I switched to McGard lugs, although those are 4x the price. I can't comment on how they will hold up yet, but the finish on them looks much more durable. 

I would agree, that I have been a little disappointed with the scuffing and subsequent rust marks.  I'll be interested to hear what you think about the McGard, I found them to be too thin and there was a visible chrome ring around that showed.  The Veriteks were the only ones with a wide enough base to completely cover that ring, that's why I went with them.  And I tried McGard, Gorilla, and a couple others.