Sunroof glass replaced....finally.

scorpionking0102

Good evening all,

I took the “hanger queen” into my local Ford dealership to have the cracked sunroof replaced. I held out as long as I could for Ford to find a laminate one like the one it was built with. I checked with Carlex aka Carlite and Ford asking why they made the decision to replace laminate glass with the tempered glass. The answer from Carlite was Ford made it stronger, lighter and “cheaper”. Everything I know about tempered glass, is it shatters into thousands of pieces. I don’t know about you, but I’m not a fan of getting shower of glass on my head.

When a leading consumer magazine did an article on unexplained panoramic sunroof explosions, which the Ford Edge was included, they also said laminate was a safer option. I checked the new Edge ST and it also has been replaced with a tempered glass made by Pilkington with a Ford logo.

I brought the sunroof home with me in hopes someone will start a class action lawsuit started to make Ford install laminate overhead for panoramic sunroof applications.

Now , at least, I can take her for a bath without the fear of a leak, hopefully. And get a coat of ceramic sealer.

• Like 1

Hi there, I'm in the transportation window industry and have tested both types extensively. Both have their pros and cons.

When performing FMVSS 217 push-out testing, laminated 6mm typically lets go at around 4-500 lbs of force application. 6mm tempered can exceed 1,200 pounds. Laminated is best for passenger retention and has the best impact absorption properties. Tempered is really tough but when it lets go it makes a hell of a mess as you well know.

Ford switched to tempered because it can handle a high degree of loading and twisting. It has superior tensile strength and will take a lot more abuse before it does let go. They probably went thinner too to reduce weight.

Tempered glass with film application is the ultimate though. That would be my choice.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The problem with tempered glass is it lets in much more wind noise!

Now I have to close curtain to not hear wind noise.

With laminated Carlex glass, it was MUCH MORE QUIET.

I think tempered glass is of much lower quality.

Do you guys think installing film over tempered glass might lower the wind noise it's letting into the cabin?

Maybe two films of different weight?

Edited by dcolak

Living in sunny So Cal I decided to tint my BAMR with Nano Ceramic window tint. Because the BAMR is already dark I used the lightest tint available . The advantage of Nano Ceramic window tint is the heat rejection and blocking of 99% of the suns harmful rays no matter the % . The BAMR is basically a complete glass roof and by adding the ceramic tint it helps keep the interior temps down, adds UV protection and strengthens the roof a bit. If you are still under warranty have the roof cleaned and serviced by the dealer at the very first signs of it slowing down or anything. You do not want to wait as it is not covered by extended warranties and the BAMR is known for having problems.  Keep up the service on it while under warranty to extend it's life and enjoy a trouble free BAMR.

Edited by Xtra
  • Like 2