Cracked Flexplate on 2015 Ford Edge

Our 2015 Ford Edge recently started a rattle noise when we start the engine. The noise goes away when we start driving and comes back again when we stop in a signal or take turns. We thought something not right. So, we took it to the dealership the next day. What dealership told us they think it's a broken flexplate and they gave me an estimate of 6,000$-8,000$ to fix that issue. The dealer asked Ford if they will cover the repair and Ford said they will only cover 1,450$. The edge has 66,000 miles on it, which is just over 6K miles from there 60,000 miles warranty. I have friends who work at Ford. After talking to them and reading a few other forum articles regarding this issue what I found out it is a very common issue for Ford, which is almost always a manufacturing fault. Ford even recalled certain run time Edge for that exact same issue. 

I asked my dealer why Ford is not covering all which is basically their manufacturing fault and they asked me to call Ford customer care directly. I just called them and they are basically blabbering the same thing saying we support what dealership recommends. If dealership thinks Ford will cover then Ford will otherwise just keep the receipt in case Ford decided to cover that in future. This is insane!!!!!!!!!!! FORD DOESN'T WANT TO TAKE RESPONSIBILITY OF THEIR OWN FAULT". They expect their customer to spend 5,000$ on a repair just after 4 years. Obviously a crack never happens suddenly. It probably started way before 60K miles. It's only large enough now to create a noise. A flexplate crack means there's something else wrong and ford should take responsibility for that. They can't expect their customer to pay expensive repairs on a new car. 

Should I take my car to a different dealership or a different repair shop to check? I can't afford 5,000$ repair. 

Edited by Kinza Khan

• 1 month later...

This is happening to my 2016 as we speak! My regular mechanic told me that there is no reason for a cracked flex plate except a manufacturer error. Why are the 2017’s being covered and not 2015-2018? They hold you hostage by not allowing you to have anyone else fix it by threatening the chance of a recall. Anyone else having this issue? I’m at 76,000 miles

• 2 months later...

My 2015 Edge is currently in the shop for this same issue.  They are telling us that if they just replace the Flexplate the same issue will occur in 20,000 miles.  Dealership reccomends replacing the small block which would run $7,800 or the whole engine at 8500.

Edge only has 64,000 on it.  I bought it used and have only put 12,545 miles on it in the last 18 months.

CarFax did show that the transmission was already replaced.  I am wishing I never bought the car.  Clearly this is a manufacturing defect.  The dealership called Ford and Ford said they would offer no assistance in repairs.  I am going to call Ford on Monday and see if I can get anywhere.  

Has anyone out there actually replaced the small block and still had issues?

I just went through this on my 2016, 76,000 miles. This is a recall on the 2017’s. My short block was replaced, I’m surprise they wouldn’t take it apart first to see if the short block needs to be repaired. This is a defect. I called Ford myself as recommended by the Ford dealership who had 3 other cases of the same issue, 2 were 2015’s. They said they would stand behind me. When you call you need to get a case number to investigated. It sounds like the dealership did not do this for you, a bit shady. Ask for a case and let the dealership know you know the 2017’s already have recall for this and that several 2015’-2018’s are having the same issue. Then report this to NHTSA, this is where we get enough complaints to get ours exalted. Also let the dealership know that you are reporting this as you have read their reports as well, I encourage you to investigate. I was calm and let them know my disappointment as I traded in my Ford to purchase a new Ford, the Ford company paid for 1/2, total price was $5700, and the dealership I purchased from threw in new spark plugs, oil change, and any other washers Etc that need to be replaced. I’m keeping the receipt in thoughts that it will be recalled eventually. Remember only the dealership should repair otherwise if it’s recalled and you received a new short box Etc from a non authorized Ford mechanic you will not get your $$ back. Good luck!

Edited by Lis

Engine on mine is a 2.0L Ecoboost.

My dealership had started a Case# with Ford.  Ford told the dealership they would not help with any of the cost. I also called Ford in regards to some Case# and got the same answer.  No Love.   I did use some of your tips Lis.  Thank you.

I told Ford I did not accept that answer and they have given me a new Case# and was told someone would call me back in one business day.  If given the same answer, I will try to keep escalating it and see what happens.  

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

We never did receive any help from Ford even after escalating our issue.  They told us to write to Ford Executive Offices.  I originally told my dealer about the SMS47576 after doing some research and they say that Ford Motor Company recommends replacing the short block or even better the long block.  Soooo disappointing.   We are going to just fix the flex plate and end up going car shopping.  I will report the issue to NHTSA and also write to Ford.  Why not.  Thank you everyone for your input.

• 1 year later...
On 10/27/2019 at 5:11 PM, Lis said:

This is happening to my 2016 as we speak! My regular mechanic told me that there is no reason for a cracked flex plate except a manufacturer error. Why are the 2017’s being covered and not 2015-2018? They hold you hostage by not allowing you to have anyone else fix it by threatening the chance of a recall. Anyone else having this issue? I’m at 76,000 miles

Hi Lis, or anyone else. My car is a Ford Edge 2017 model doing a rattling noise too... took it to the dealership and they told me it could be a cracked flexplate/problem with the short block. You mention that the 2017's are covered... can you share where you found that? 

• 4 months later...

I am now dealing with this on my 2016 Edge Titanium. It's been a while since I've posted. The Edge has been pretty trouble free up until now. I took a long trip and luckily for me it didn't start until I was almost home. The car ran smooth the whole way but noticed when I was heading home it was not shifting correctly. I also noted that it was also shifting oddly during the trip but did not have any noise at that time.

I brought the car into the dealer last week and am currently waiting for parts (they think tomorrow) but assuming I won't get it back for at least another week. Lucky for my I purchased the car 4 years 10.5 months ago so just eeked in the manufactures warranty. I did purchase the extended warranty because I knew it was a "FORD" when i purchased it and never expect much from them even though I really like this Edge, I am sad to know I will be unloading it soon. I still have an extra 2 years on my transferable warranty so that should be a good selling point.

I have seen that there is a lawsuit for the 2015-2018 Edge's pending for this issue that was filed in March 2021, Straub vs FORD MOTOR COMPANY if anyone is interested.  This would be a good case to track as it may give us some ammunition or even extend our warranties as well as give some of you a chance to get some money back who have had to do this repair outside of the warranty.  I found most complaints were around the 40-50k. If you went longer you may have had the issue but it wasn't loud enough for you to hear it.

Another clue is you will find the Transmission will not shift like it used to, I had notice that it was starting to happen during my trip but never heard a noise, but by the time I drove the 200 miles home it was making the noise.

The dealer is  hopefully doing the repair per the TSB. Either way if it happens again before I sell it I am still covered. what next the timing chain stretch? or the coolant leak into the engine...hmm.  Damn I really had hoped FORD got it right, but guess not.

• Thanks 1