20" wheels

hjl1949

Has anyone taken a close look at the 20" chrome clad wheels? It certainly looks like there is two pieces, the aluminum wheel with a chrome covering. I have had a 2008 MKX for 3 months and some one at a gas station told me to take a close look at the wheels. The chrome part can be flexed slightly. I am not sure what that part is made of. A relative bought a 2008 Navigator with very similar looking wheels but they are one entire piece. On the MKX the option price is $895, the Navigator is $1495. Are the wheels sold in two pieces? And could the chrome covering considered a hubcap, a $895 set of hubcaps???

• Like 1

Has anyone taken a close look at the 20" chrome clad wheels? It certainly looks like there is two pieces, the aluminum wheel with a chrome covering. I have had a 2008 MKX for 3 months and some one at a gas station told me to take a close look at the wheels. The chrome part can be flexed slightly. I am not sure what that part is made of. A relative bought a 2008 Navigator with very similar looking wheels but they are one entire piece. On the MKX the option price is $895, the Navigator is $1495. Are the wheels sold in two pieces? And could the chrome covering considered a hubcap, a $895 set of hubcaps???

Yes, it's a separate piece that's added on but it's definitely not a hubcap (it's not removable). It was done this way to keep the wheel lighter (real chrome clad wheels are HEAVY) and also to avoid the inevitable pitting of real chrome wheels. This is the first application of this type of wheel and there are some problems but they're all covered under the warranty.

• 2 weeks later...

Is anyone else having this problem???

I have an '08 Limited - These 20" wanna be chrome wheels are a plastic finish over a steel wheel. What do you get when you mix plastic and steel? What I got was a NOISE MAKER!!! This is the 2ND set of wheels they have put on my crossover in less than 5K miles of owning it! When you are slow rolling like when your car is being brought to you at Valet Service its sounds horrible!! It sounds like when you were a kis and you put a card in your bikes spokes or ran over a coke can or played on your PLASTIC hotwheel - it sounds like it is falling apart and CHEAP! I am HOTT!

Is anyone else having this problem???

I have an '08 Limited - These 20" wanna be chrome wheels are a plastic finish over a steel wheel. What do you get when you mix plastic and steel? What I got was a NOISE MAKER!!! This is the 2ND set of wheels they have put on my crossover in less than 5K miles of owning it! When you are slow rolling like when your car is being brought to you at Valet Service its sounds horrible!! It sounds like when you were a kis and you put a card in your bikes spokes or ran over a coke can or played on your PLASTIC hotwheel - it sounds like it is falling apart and CHEAP! I am HOTT!

It's a known problem, but this wasn't done to be cheap. Real chrome wheels are heavy and subject to pitting over time. The chrome clad wheels are lighter and supposed to last longer. This is the first wheel of its kind so naturally there are initial problems. I'm sure they're working on the problem and will make new wheels available as soon as possible. In the meantime let the dealer replace them as often as necessary.

It's a known problem, but this wasn't done to be cheap. Real chrome wheels are heavy and subject to pitting over time. The chrome clad wheels are lighter and supposed to last longer. This is the first wheel of its kind so naturally there are initial problems. I'm sure they're working on the problem and will make new wheels available as soon as possible. In the meantime let the dealer replace them as often as necessary.

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I have an 08 limited and I am going in to get my 4th replacement for these rims. They continue to bubble and look horrible. I hope they get these sorted out before my warrenty runs out.(good thing i paid for the extended)......

Seeing that this is a known issue, wouldn't the problem be covered even after the warranty expires? I would definately make this case if ny warranty were close to expiration.

Seeing that this is a known issue, wouldn't the problem be covered even after the warranty expires? I would definately make this case if ny warranty were close to expiration.

A known issue does not equal and extended warranty. If they had a recall that would be different. But this is not a recall and therefore the warranty would not extend past the bumber to bumber or 3/36.

A known issue does not equal and extended warranty. If they had a recall that would be different. But this is not a recall and therefore the warranty would not extend past the bumber to bumber or 3/36.

Correct, but I have seen exceptions or special allowances in situations like this, especially if it's a documented problem during the warranty period.

Correct, but I have seen exceptions or special allowances in situations like this, especially if it's a documented problem during the warranty period.

They do have after warranty assistance. But that is something the dealership has to be involved with, and they are not likely to do it if you are not a good customer since they have to have some participation in it.

They do have after warranty assistance. But that is something the dealership has to be involved with, and they are not likely to do it if you are not a good customer since they have to have some participation in it.

I was also talking about a special factory extended warranty, not just AWAs. They've done this several times on specific parts with specific problems such as the ignition coils on the 2003 Lincoln LS.

I was also talking about a special factory extended warranty, not just AWAs. They've done this several times on specific parts with specific problems such as the ignition coils on the 2003 Lincoln LS.

That does happen, but not often. And being the the wheels are not a safety issue I do not expect to happen. The only way I can see that happening is a class action suit or something like that, that forces them to do it.

Well, shucks! My first post to something other than the welcome area and it is a negative one. Crud!

I too found some "wobbliness" along the permiter of the rims last night while clay barring the rims. The first one isn't too bad, but I'm not one to settle for less than pefect results when the goods cost more than $1000. Has anybody found a good way to get Ford to replace each defective rim with a perfect one on the first try? If so, please enlighten all of us on how you did it.

Thanks!

BP

holly replaced rims 4 times! crap... my 20s are pitted like crazy, they are going to look like crap very soon... and the dealer will just replace them no prob!? were do you live!!! dealers around here will give you a million excusses before they even consider replacing anything!!!

I was very choked to see that these are plastic covered wheels, guess these will be my winter rims and i`ll get some REAL rims for summer...

• 3 weeks later...
My 20 inch wheels continue creak like old plastic. I've had 2 replaced and the new ones were worse sounding than the old. Will Ford replace these with a subsitute wheel? Replacing these wheeels with same design gives same problems.

Mine aren't making any noise yet. My MKX was built 04/08 maybe they've tweaked them. One concern I have is if the plastic is loose won't that affect the balance of the wheel?

I have had one replaced already due to chipping, peeling and I had only 600 miles on it. I am now having all four replaced due to discoloring (brass color showing up). I do not anticipate those lasting as well. There was an Edge in the showroom at my dealership that had the brass discoloring on the wheels already. At least the dealership does not give me any issues with replacement. They did tell me that the wheels are on back order. Has anyone asked their dealership if they can swap out wheels for different ones instead of constantly getting chrome clad replaced because nothing is going to change...the design is flawed.

• 2 weeks later...

NOT TRUE at all, I also have a '03 Dodge 1500 with factory 20" wheels and they are "Chrome Clad" aluminum wheels. They look great after 120,000 miles. My '08 Edge Limited wheels look fine so far, but the click noise that comes from them when making a slow speed turn is horrible. Been to the dealer 4 times. 1st time dealer gives me the vehicle back and says 3 techs can't find a thing wrong. Drive the vehicle in a circle in front of service manager and he hears the noise from the wheels. They take the vehicle back in, 2 days later they find a order from Ford that this is a problem and Ford is working on it. 2 weeks later they call me back in to replace 4 wheels, I take vehicle in and after having it for a day, I pick it up with nothing done. Dealer says Ford says not to replace wheels, that Ford is making a new wheels to replace the old ones. Dealer calls me to come in to have the wheels replaced 3 weeks later, take vehicle in but they are the original style replacements. Sorry don't want another set of defective new wheels. Tommorrow dealer says new wheels are in and they are regular chrome wheels. I look on the Ford site for accessories and they have a 20" chrome wheel for $3400 for the set. Sorry I don't like the look. So tommorrow I should have a set of 20" chrome aftermarket wheels on my Edge because that's the only way I am taking my Edge back home. Is this a joke or what? We have a lemon law here in Florida(don't know if it's nationwide) and I am at my 3 strikes, so my dealer is out for the count. But what good is it? My Edge only has 2500 miles. Unless I could get an '09 out of the deal.

NOT TRUE at all, I also have a '03 Dodge 1500 with factory 20" wheels and they are "Chrome Clad" aluminum wheels. They look great after 120,000 miles. My '08 Edge Limited wheels look fine so far, but the click noise that comes from them when making a slow speed turn is horrible. Been to the dealer 4 times. 1st time dealer gives me the vehicle back and says 3 techs can't find a thing wrong. Drive the vehicle in a circle in front of service manager and he hears the noise from the wheels. They take the vehicle back in, 2 days later they find a order from Ford that this is a problem and Ford is working on it. 2 weeks later they call me back in to replace 4 wheels, I take vehicle in and after having it for a day, I pick it up with nothing done. Dealer says Ford says not to replace wheels, that Ford is making a new wheels to replace the old ones. Dealer calls me to come in to have the wheels replaced 3 weeks later, take vehicle in but they are the original style replacements. Sorry don't want another set of defective new wheels. Tommorrow dealer says new wheels are in and they are regular chrome wheels. I look on the Ford site for accessories and they have a 20" chrome wheel for $3400 for the set. Sorry I don't like the look. So tommorrow I should have a set of 20" chrome aftermarket wheels on my Edge because that's the only way I am taking my Edge back home. Is this a joke or what? We have a lemon law here in Florida(don't know if it's nationwide) and I am at my 3 strikes, so my dealer is out for the count. But what good is it? My Edge only has 2500 miles. Unless I could get an '09 out of the deal.

What, exactly, is NOT TRUE at all? It's a known problem and they're trying to fix it. Have a little patience. It's not like the engine died or the radio doesn't work.

so if this is a "known problem" will there be a recall or do we need to have defective ones before they are replaced?

Hi MKx. :D You will need to have "defective" ones. There will be TSB's concerning the issue (already are), but there will not be a "Recall".

Recalls are usually reserved for more serious issues, not usually for what is only a "Cosmetic" issue.

A problem like this will be handled on an "as needed" basis. In other words, if your wheels peel or the cover is loose and they make noise, you bring it to the Dealer and they will replace them under Warranty.

Good luck. :beerchug:

• 3 weeks later...
Hi MKx. :D You will need to have "defective" ones. There will be TSB's concerning the issue (already are), but there will not be a "Recall".

Recalls are usually reserved for more serious issues, not usually for what is only a "Cosmetic" issue.

A problem like this will be handled on an "as needed" basis. In other words, if your wheels peel or the cover is loose and they make noise, you bring it to the Dealer and they will replace them under Warranty.

Good luck. :beerchug:

I'm a lucky one too. My rims still look good, but the clicketty noise is so bad EVERYBODY asks me what's wrong !

Talked to Ford Canada: they acknowledge but won't say anything except that engineering is working on it. My dealer's inquiry through his channels make him think this won't be resolved this year.

According to my dealer, Ford Canada have stopped shipping those rims. So you can't even 'try' to get a new set hoping you'll be lucky this time.

What gets me is how come so few owners apparently complain about this. Is it that they don't discuss it on the Internet or that there are only a small % affected ? I'd bet on the first option.

I'm a lucky one too. My rims still look good, but the clicketty noise is so bad EVERYBODY asks me what's wrong !

Talked to Ford Canada: they acknowledge but won't say anything except that engineering is working on it. My dealer's inquiry through his channels make him think this won't be resolved this year.

According to my dealer, Ford Canada have stopped shipping those rims. So you can't even 'try' to get a new set hoping you'll be lucky this time.

What gets me is how come so few owners apparently complain about this. Is it that they don't discuss it on the Internet or that there are only a small % affected ? I'd bet on the first option.

That's exactly what were we told last time we were in as well. Ford has instructed the dealerships (at least in Canada) not to replace any more of the rims, and that there is a solution being worked on. Our Service Manager was under the impression that this would be solved in the last part of this year. He told me to poke him about it end of October if we hadn't heard anything about it before then, and he would try to find out the current status. Looks like I'll be asking him this week to see if he can find any scoop on this....

We're tired of the loose marbles sound... especially over rough roads... people keep looking at us... :huh:

-S

I don't have these wheels, but probably wouldn't notice the noise, since I never drive with the windows open & always have the radio on. Perhaps, this is why so few complaints?