Engine overheating

Inno

It's helpful if those posting a question/problem would offer some details.  In this case, which engine? 
If you have the 3.5L you're probably in big expensive trouble after driving 'two' radiators worth of coolant into the oil pan.  If it's another engine you might be dribbling coolant as you go but you'd probably notice that (by smell alone) or you've sprung a leak in your heater core and your carpet is soaked with coolant (again, you'd smell it).

So, which engine and, as already suggested, check your dipstick.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Gadgetjq said:

It's helpful if those posting a question/problem would offer some details.  In this case, which engine? 
If you have the 3.5L you're probably in big expensive trouble after driving 'two' radiators worth of coolant into the oil pan.  If it's another engine you might be dribbling coolant as you go but you'd probably notice that (by smell alone) or you've sprung a leak in your heater core and your carpet is soaked with coolant (again, you'd smell it).

So true.

I don't bother making any attempt to use my diagnostics crystal ball if the poster can't make the effort to provide basic information such as "checked for fluid on my garage floor and driveway, but nothing", or "some white exhaust smoke when starting".

• Haha 2

If the oil stays clean, the question would be whether the radiator fans are working correctly.  If they are, then unless you have a rare situation like a leaking hose or rusted thermostat housing, it will be the water pump.  The coolant leaks out from the weephole in the valley of the block on the passenger side.  So if that area is wet/green, you know you have a water pump issue to deal with.  There is another weephole on that side of the block, above the alternator, and it can leak out of there as well.

How to check the weephole in the valley of the block

18 hours ago, PaulSchott said:

Check your oil for coolant.  If it looks like chocolate milk don't drive it.   If you're lucky it's not the water pump.

Did it leak on the ground or did it just disappear?

There's nous leackage. And I Havel changed the water pump 3 months ago. 

16 hours ago, Gadgetjq said:

It is 3.5L and there's no leak. The coolant is drained out after the warning alarm,  not before. When the engine is hot it push the coolant out. 

18 minutes ago, Inno said:

It is 3.5L and there's no leak. The coolant is drained out after the warning alarm,  not before. When the engine is hot it push the coolant out. 

In that case it's almost certainly the fans.  With the engine running put A/C on Max and both fans should be on.  If not replace the fan and controller as a unit with Motorcraft parts (not Dorman).

• Like 1

14 hours ago, 1004ron said:

So true.

I don't bother making any attempt to use my diagnostics crystal ball if the poster can't make the effort to provide basic information such as "checked for fluid on my garage floor and driveway, but nothing", or "some white exhaust smoke when starting".

You Are right. 

I have choosen 3.5L section to post. This is why i didn't give this info. 

The two times it happen, the vehicle was not moving. I just stopped(with engine on) to make a call. The third time, the vehicle was moving but slowly (arround 20mph)I was preparing to turn. 

There's no any leakage. The coolant will only go out after the alarm is popped out. 

Pls use you diagnostics crystal ball now and help. ??

26 minutes ago, akirby said:

In that case it's almost certainly the fans.  With the engine running put A/C on Max and both fans should be on.  If not replace the fan and controller as a unit with Motorcraft parts (not Dorman).

Do you have the part number? 

This is a classic case of not getting enough information to make a diagnosis in the beginning. At this point I'm going with bad thermostat. It's typical to have coolant boil out if the vehicle isn't moving if the thermostat is stuck shut or partially shut. Go the easy route first though and check the fans.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Inno said:

You Are right. 

I have choosen 3.5L section to post. This is why i didn't give this info. 

The two times it happen, the vehicle was not moving. I just stopped(with engine on) to make a call. The third time, the vehicle was moving but slowly (arround 20mph)I was preparing to turn. 

There's no any leakage. The coolant will only go out after the alarm is popped out. 

Pls use you diagnostics crystal ball now and help. ??

Others beat me to it, but if it only overheats when there's very little to no forward speed of the vehicle, then it's most likely the cooling fans which it relies on for the air flow when stationary or very slow moving.

7 minutes ago, Gadgetjq said:

This is a classic case of not getting enough information to make a diagnosis in the beginning. At this point I'm going with bad thermostat. It's typical to have coolant boil out if the vehicle isn't moving if the thermostat is stuck shut or partially shut. Go the easy route first though and check the fans.

My theory is the thermostat would cause the overheat at speed as well, not only stationary.

On 10/17/2019 at 3:42 PM, Gadgetjq said:

Boil out! Thanks for the? words!