Do you recommend and alignment with new tires?

Jombi

I guess this is an academic question for most cars--but I've never had one before when I've replaced tires unless the size is significantly different.  Yet this one shop mandated a $130 alignment with the purchase/mount/balance of their tires, giving me the whole scare-story about wear and tear and even driving off the road.   

I don't see the sense--it's not like the stock alignment "compensates" for normal wear and then a new set of tires will now throw it off.  My Edge has 1000 miles and I want to put stock-size winter tires on it and that +$130 is a deal breaker.

Thanks,

6 minutes ago, JoeVic said:

I always get an alignment with new tires, but I have never replaced tires with such low mileage.  

If they are providing some sort of warranty or road hazard, I am sure they want to know they are starting with a good alignment.

Yeah, I can see the logic there...I was just taken aback because they led with the scare tactics.

"Jombi" if the tires that were on your car wore evenly (even if there must not be much wear after only 1,000 miles), you don't need  an alignment. Just have the winter tires installed and you're good to go. The alignment they want to sell you is just a catch to get more money from you probably because they want to recuperate on the "too good deal" they gave you on the tires. :rant2: If they refuse to sell you only the tires without the alignment, then run :arrive_alive:to another tire shop!

Good luck,

Claude.;)

• Like 2