ST Oil Filter

James Costa

Hey all,

What brand or model oil filter have you all been using when doing oil changes on your 2019 Edge ST?  For some reason my local stores are not stocking anything that would appear to work with my car.  My work schedule makes it difficult to pop by a Ford dealer when they are open for a Motorcraft part.  If you have any information it might help me out, thanks.

James

1 hour ago, James Costa said:

Thanks Ron.  Amazon may be my best option.

These filters are both uncased, I've never dealt with these before, only screw-on oil filters.  Is there a trick to these?  Do they just drop into the oil filter cylinder that I'll remove from the car?

Autozone also stocks the Motocraft filter. - https://www.autozone.com/external-engine/oil-filter/motorcraft-oil-filter-fl2062/12446_0_0

Quite straight forward.

The cap might be bigger than your standard socket set includes.

The small O-ring is a little tough to get off and on, just be patient - I use a cloth or gloves to get traction on the O-ring, and don't struggle as much as he did in the below video.

Edited by 1004ron

I bought a Ronin Aluminum drain plug to make life easier down the line. They are expensive but i REALLY hate making a mess.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07H56TP4F/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Also the filter has a stem inside the housing. Be careful not to damage it and if it breaks don't ignore it. In general its a very simple process since the filter is on top of the motor and will have no oil in it. Change all the o-rings every oil change and change the plastic plug at least every other oil change. 

6 hours ago, Fingernip said:

I bought a Ronin Aluminum drain plug to make life easier down the line. They are expensive but i REALLY hate making a mess.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07H56TP4F/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Also the filter has a stem inside the housing. Be careful not to damage it and if it breaks don't ignore it. In general its a very simple process since the filter is on top of the motor and will have no oil in it. Change all the o-rings every oil change and change the plastic plug at least every other oil change

I don't have any mess issues with the plastic drain plug, and have a spare one on hand but still using the original after 2.5 years and 9 oil changes.

23 minutes ago, 1004ron said:

I don't have any mess issues with the plastic drain plug, and have a spare one on hand but still using the original after 2.5 years and 9 oil changes.

I'm glad you haven't run into any problems.. but I wouldn't brag too much about that since if it fails you potentially could void your warranty since you didn't change it. I believe Ford recommends changing it every time. I managed to replace mine without much mess using a large drain pan... until the wind blew and speckled me and my driveway with tiny drops of oil. The replacement plug never comes out and can be opened a little or a lot or re-closed without making any mess.. It has a barbed fitting to accept a flexible hose to drain it directly into a container. 

Edited by Fingernip

8 minutes ago, Fingernip said:

I'm glad you haven't run into any problems.. but I wouldn't brag too much about that since if it fails you potentially could void your warranty since you didn't change it. I believe Ford recommends changing it every time.

You're mistaken in your belief that Ford calls for the drain plug to be replaced at every oil change, ......... the dealerships don't change it at every oil change.

You face the same risk of warranty being void if the third party plug you're using fails.

Poll: I have yet to replace the oil drain plug  56%

Edited by 1004ron

6 minutes ago, 1004ron said:

You're mistaken in your belief that Ford calls for the drain plug to be replaced at every oil change, ......... the dealerships don't change it at every oil change.

You face the same risk of warranty being void if the third party plug you're using fails.

As long as the 3rd party part meets or exceeds the design intent of the OEM part the warranty is unaffected. the plug I'm using is never removed and uses a spring valve mechanism to open. The issue with the plastic plug is re-using the o-ring after removal and ensuring it locks in place every time. I do remember the same statement about the 3 o-rings on the oil filter cap also. they are to be changed every oil change.... I'm sure shops don't do that also. Its not in the owners manual or maintenance guide for some reason. 

51 minutes ago, Fingernip said:

As long as the 3rd party part meets or exceeds the design intent of the OEM part the warranty is unaffected. the plug I'm using is never removed and uses a spring valve mechanism to open. The issue with the plastic plug is re-using the o-ring after removal and ensuring it locks in place every time. I do remember the same statement about the 3 o-rings on the oil filter cap also. they are to be changed every oil change.... I'm sure shops don't do that also. Its not in the owners manual or maintenance guide for some reason. 

Yes, your third party drain plug is just as unlikely as the original plug to impact your warranty.

But your comment "I believe Ford recommends changing it every time" is not correct, and that is the only point I was making.

Edited by 1004ron

1 hour ago, James Costa said:

Thanks everyone for the great info.  I'll pick up a 27mm socket.  That drain valve looks pretty trick too.

It's not, take your time with with the original plastic plug and remember you don't need to extract it in one shot, you can ease it out and control the flow.

Edited by 1004ron

12 hours ago, akirby said:

If your aftermarket plug leaks and the engine seizes up there is no way Ford is going to cover that.

They likely wont cover it either way if you do the oil change yourself and cant prove the plug had a manufacturing defect. The no remove plug is less likely to leak since you don't need to disturb the o-ring.

14 hours ago, 1004ron said:

Yes, your third party drain plug is just as unlikely as the original plug to impact your warranty.

But your comment "I believe Ford recommends changing it every time" is not correct, and that is the only point I was making.

Until I can find the statement by Ford I cannot argue against that. 

From the 2019 Ford Workshop manual:

1. With the vehicle in NEUTRAL, position it on a hoist.
    Refer to: 
    Jacking and Lifting - Overview (100-02 Jacking and Lifting, Description and Operation).
  1. NOTE: Use a shop towel when removing the oil filter housing to prevent oil from spilling on the engine or accessory components.

1. Loosen the oil filter housing and allow the oil to drain out of the housing and down into the engine.
    1. Remove the oil filter housing and discard the oil filter element.
    1. Remove and discard the O-ring seals.
  1. NOTE: The drain plug should be removed and installed by hand, do not use tools.

1. Turn the oil drain plug by hand counterclockwise 120 degrees.
      Use the General Equipment: Oil Drain Equipment
    1. Pull the oil drain plug out of the oil pan.
    1. After the oil has drained, push the oil drain plug into the oil pan.
    1. NOTICE: Overtightening will damage the oil drain plug and possibly the oil pan.

Turn the oil drain plug by hand clockwise 120 degrees.

So new O-rings for the filter cover are required, but no need to replace the drain plug.

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Waldo said:

From the 2019 Ford Workshop manual:

1. With the vehicle in NEUTRAL, position it on a hoist.
    Refer to: 
    Jacking and Lifting - Overview (100-02 Jacking and Lifting, Description and Operation).
  1. NOTE: Use a shop towel when removing the oil filter housing to prevent oil from spilling on the engine or accessory components.

1. Loosen the oil filter housing and allow the oil to drain out of the housing and down into the engine.
    1. Remove the oil filter housing and discard the oil filter element.
    1. Remove and discard the O-ring seals.
  1. NOTE: The drain plug should be removed and installed by hand, do not use tools.

1. Turn the oil drain plug by hand counterclockwise 120 degrees.
      Use the General Equipment: Oil Drain Equipment
    1. Pull the oil drain plug out of the oil pan.
    1. After the oil has drained, push the oil drain plug into the oil pan.
    1. NOTICE: Overtightening will damage the oil drain plug and possibly the oil pan.

Turn the oil drain plug by hand clockwise 120 degrees.

So new O-rings for the filter cover are required, but no need to replace the drain plug.

Fair enough. My information was wrong.

I still much prefer the idea of not removing the plug or at least changing the o-ring every time. We would never re-use an o-ring in aerospace regardless of cycle life. To save the $5 or so on a new plug until it actually leaks then have to waste 6 quarts of oil just to change it seems silly to me. My co-worker gave me a bag of them when i told them i planned to service it myself he got them free from his dealership(former employer) when he bought his truck. The o-ring itself would have to be measured as it doesn't seem Ford offers it separately. 

2 hours ago, Fingernip said:

Fair enough. My information was wrong.

I still much prefer the idea of not removing the plug or at least changing the o-ring every time. We would never re-use an o-ring in aerospace regardless of cycle life. To save the $5 or so on a new plug until it actually leaks then have to waste 6 quarts of oil just to change it seems silly to me. My co-worker gave me a bag of them when i told them i planned to service it myself he got them free from his dealership(former employer) when he bought his truck. The o-ring itself would have to be measured as it doesn't seem Ford offers it separately. 

Doesn't the UPR plug also rely on an O-ring on the center part that's removed each time a service is done? - you'd need to change that internal O-ring each time -  it would have the same risk of leakage as the original plug, which judging from the lack of reports and my experience is very low.

Pneumatics  and hydraulics  use O-rings for piston sealing etc. which see a whole lot of usage and last ages.

Edited by 1004ron

26 minutes ago, 1004ron said:

Doesn't the UPR plug also rely on an O-ring on the center part that's removed each time a service is done? - you'd need to change that internal O-ring each time -  it would have the same risk of leakage as the original plug, which judging from the lack of reports and my experience is very low.

Pneumatics  and hydraulics  use O-rings for piston sealing etc. which see a whole lot of usage and last ages.

Probably.. I have the Ronin so it is not removed. Yes o-rings have been around for ages for sealing static surfaces. The problem is once they are disturbed after installation they become more prone to failure. Materials have improved to the point where they are reasonably reliable but in my field the cost of simply replacing them every service visit easily justifies the cost of replacement. Unscheduled service is extremely expensive and inconvenient.

I collect large and unusual o-rings at work and re-use them as rubber-bands/part protection and other non production functions. They have never even been in service... simply installed and the part removed.