2017 ford edge wind noise

Question what thin pipes are you talking about? I have a rattle when driving faster than 60mph it does not happen when someone is sitting in the passenger side though so sort of an odd issue. Going to bring it in to have it looked at when I get my first oil change but if I can figure it out first I can tell them what to replace or tighten.

Thanks Sergio, that makes sense as sometimes it does sound more like it's underneath the seat. I will have to look at those.

At first I thought maybe it was the ebay splash guards I got they actually fit pretty good and even had EDGE stamped on the back too! I took them off and still l have the noise so putting them back on later.

We've been hit with a lot of rain lately so will have to wait for a good dry day to get under the car and take a look.

I'm having the same problem. I've replaced the tires, checked the alignment, and balanced the tires. Still have lots of road noise. It's driving me crazy. The dealership is no help, I've taken it in several time, and when they drive it they can't hear or feel anything. They make me feel like I'm imagining things. Really disappointed in this cars. Glad I'm not the only one with all this noise!!!!

I wouldn't give up on the Edge. Rattles can be a pain but I would take a rattle over broke down on the side of the highway. It's actually pretty mild if I turn the radio to regular listening volume I don't hear it, but I know it's there. Sometimes when they uses these plastic rivets and lower grade ties things can come lose over time. I had a rattle in my Mitsubishi found and fixed it. No doubt I will track this one down too.

It's funny how you can hear a noise all day long take it to a dealer or mechanic and they don't hear a thing....lol maybe they work around so much noise they are deaf. There are stethoscopes with long tubes made just for diagnosing rattles and noises maybe suggest they use one, or better yet take the service manager for a ride and tell him when and what you are hearing. That way he can better relate the sound to the technician.

Even though there are some minor flaws here and there I wouldn't trade the ride and comfort of my Edge.

If you are getting a lot of wind noise check the door alignment on both sides, also I have heard that the weatherstripping on the Edges can be off and simply replacing or adding to this will help. Don't have that problem though.

Michelin are a great choice!

I am just going to let it go. I think it's just the way it rides. My husbands Dodge Ram truck drives smoother than mine though. Thankful I only leased the Edge for three years. After that I'm going with something that has a smoother ride. I love everything else about the Edge, it just rides like a truck. Starts about 45 mph, and also makes a irritating noise. I'm just going to live with it!!!

Well if it's still under warranty I would take it back in until they fix the wind noise problem I hear a few people that get this have the weatherstripping replaced and it's better.

If you don't like the way it rides then it's just not the car for you. To me going from a small feel every bump in the road SUV to the Edge is like going from a Pinto to a Limo....lol.

My thought though is if you really can't stand it put it up on one of those lease transfers sites and let someone else take over the lease. Couldn't hurt.

• 2 weeks later...

I have 20s on my edge. I'm just going to put up with it. If there is a problem, it will break sooner or later. Tired of messing with the service department. Personally I think it's a cheaply made vehicle. I'll do a little more research next time. Just had an edge before and thought they would ride the same. The 2017 should be better than the 2014. Guess I was wrong.

• 1 month later...

Well finally got the car in for the first oil change still only 6300mi on it but taking a few long trips soon so had it done already.

The dealer realigned the doors on the passenger side. I had noticed they were off slightly and the noise seemed to come from that side along with wind noise at higher speeds. The body shop guy seemed to think if the doors were readjusted it would help and it did. Less wind noise and feels a lot more solid on that side. Not to mention they did a great job!

If you are getting a lot of wind noise check the alignment of the doors between the back of the front door to the front of the back door. if there is a skew have them readjust the doors it may help.

• Like 2

Good morning all. I just purchased the 2017 Ford Edge titanium and let me tell you all that it has been a nightmare. It started with the driver side door not closing on first attempt. I thought it was strange so I overlooked it for the moment. Until I got it home and noticed that it wobbles when it's opened. Then the wind noise started. And my lift gate hatch seemed to pop when it opened. So after further evaluation of the SUV I also noticed that the right rear tire was tilted inward. So I took it to the dealer. This is what they have done to this truck: realigned the driver door, resealed the windshield, removed the rear bumper cover and adjusted the lift gate lock. It still catches when opening. Added weather stripping to the front right quarter panel for the wind noise, aligned the tires and I'm still experiencing the vibration. The right tire is still tilted inward and the wind noise has returned. Oh and last but not least. The paint is starting to bubble around the right front quarter panel at the headlight. So I was asked to bring it back into the shop to check the tire issue only. I did that and according to the computer there is nothing wrong. But the computer can't see a tilted tire!

So nothing was done. So I called ford motor company to put in a complaint for GA lemon law. So now I have to take it back to the dealer for the third time to correct all of these issues. Very disappointed in my choice of vehicle.

Funny that you said it may have been damaged in transit and repaired. A little bird told me that things like that happen all the time and the new unsuspecting buyer is never told this and it's never reported via car fax. So you end up with a $45,000 SUV you hate because of dishonest people and dealerships. It's a darn shame, because it's a beautiful SUV. Thanks for sharing positive feed back. Greatly appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...

That really sucks. I had a friend who purchased a Ford Fusion who had to use the lemon law here in California. Though it was for engine issues. They purchased the vehicle back from him after a lot of bickering back and forth. Be ready to argue your case and document all the times you bring it in for the same issue.

It's kind of sad when something like this happens. It doesn't give faith in what could be a great product! I have had imports all of my life with the exception of my first car/truck and that was a Ford F-250 supercab, it was a boat to drive but safe.

Edited by haedgy

Question what thin pipes are you talking about? I have a rattle when driving faster than 60mph it does not happen when someone is sitting in the passenger side though so sort of an odd issue. Going to bring it in to have it looked at when I get my first oil change but if I can figure it out first I can tell them what to replace or tighten.

Follow up. I guess it was just muffled more when people are in the car. I found the source of my problem.

The large pressed felt/fiber cover under the middle of the car had 1 lose push pin and one missing push pin in it. so it was flapping around but only after hitting about 55-60MPH. I was able to push the loose pin back in for now and then secure it until I can get it into the dealer to replace the missing pin and the one that I think is broken or just not in correctly. I don't know if the one pin came out or it was just never there to begin with but the lose portion was on the passenger side.

This cover is one unit that goes from the passenger side to the drivers side if that makes sense. Either way I have to get that fixed or it will probably just shake loose again.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Follow up. I guess it was just muffled more when people are in the car. I found the source of my problem.

The large pressed felt/fiber cover under the middle of the car had 1 lose push pin and one missing push pin in it. so it was flapping around but only after hitting about 55-60MPH. I was able to push the loose pin back in for now and then secure it until I can get it into the dealer to replace the missing pin and the one that I think is broken or just not in correctly. I don't know if the one pin came out or it was just never there to begin with but the lose portion was on the passenger side.

This cover is one unit that goes from the passenger side to the drivers side if that makes sense. Either way I have to get that fixed or it will probably just shake loose again.

Thank you, haedgy!!!!! I've had a high speed rattle that's been driving me crazy for nearly a year (dealer could find nothing). After reading your post, I checked the fiber cover, did a bit of improvising to hold it tight, and the rattle is finally gone. Again, Thank you, sir!!!!!!!!

• Like 1