Love our 2010 Edge but Maintenance Costs Have Been High

Mary Ann

We have had our Ford Edge since 2010 (190,000 km) and have spent approximately $22,000.00 on regular maintenance (we also bought the extended warranty which is not included in this cost).  Included in this amount, is the cost of a replacement hood and labour.  The 10 year rust protection plan we bought said it wasn’t covered because I waited too long to have it repaired, even though we’d had it rustproofed.  Unfortunately my husband took ill at the time the first signs of rust were pointed out to the dealer, and the car was put on the back burner for a year before I got to the repair shop for their final assessment.  The plan did however, cover full replacement of the tailgate due to rust, a year or two later.  At that time, the repair shop told me the warranty should have covered the hood too.  

What I’m trying to find out is whether the cost of the maintenance seems high to other Edge owners?  There’s nothing I can do about it now, however we are looking for a new vehicle in the next few months and as much as we love our Edge, we find it to be one of the most expensive cars we have had to maintain.

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

For that kind of money (even in Canadian $$) you could have purchased two more 2010 models to use for parts!
A 2010 Edge hood on eBay sells for about $500.  If it needs paint matching maybe double that so call it $1000.  Like aKirby I'm thinking a decimal point skidded to the right a few notches.

Edited by Gadgetjq

No, I did not miss a decimal point. So I’ll take that to mean it’s been VERY EXPENSIVE.  Thanks

I didn’t list everything, just the items that wouldn’t be regular maintenance.  You’re close with the hood, $1225.00, and no, no new motor.  Ford did the maintenance for 7 years, and I’ve had a garage do regular maintenance for the last 3 years. 

16 minutes ago, Mary Ann said:

No, I did not miss a decimal point. So I’ll take that to mean it’s been VERY EXPENSIVE.  Thanks

I didn’t list everything, just the items that wouldn’t be regular maintenance.  You’re close with the hood, $1225.00, and no, no new motor.  Ford did the maintenance for 7 years, and I’ve had a garage do regular maintenance for the last 3 years. 

So other than wear items like tires, brakes and fluid changes and the hood replacement - what else was done?   How much did you pay for the maintenance plan and how much did you pay the garage for service?

That is WAY too high.   4 sets of tires should be less than $5K CAD.   Regular service should only be $200/yr at most.

There was front end work done a few times, transmission flushes, brakes, etc.  Sorry I don’t have all the details at my fingertips right now, but I do have all the invoices which I thought I’d add up just to give us an idea.  We were very surprised, and as I say, now really thinking about the next vehicle we purchase.  

I have 145,000 on my 2007 and have done brakes, Tires, Mobile 1 oil changes, Brake flushes, coolant flushes, Transmission flushes, windshield wiper changes. and many other maintenance items and I'm sure  I am nowhere near what you have spent.  (that would also be including the water pump for $1700)  I would take a hard look at the dealership and their prices and their willingness to unnecessary service that they suggest and not Ford.

If you have a good private trusted mechanic use them. Only use the dealer for recalls.  I used the dealer only for the gas tank recall and the Takata airbag recall.  When they did the gas tank they suggested all kinds of "necessary" lol service items.

• Like 2

We did all of the above, along with brake cleanings, new brakes, AC compressor, suspension control arm and left lower ball joint assembly, both steering tie rods, right lower control arm assembly with ball joint, both front inner tie rod ends, right front wheel bearing with bearing assembly wheel, 6 summer tires, 4 winters, a serpentine belt and tensioner, right front axle/tone ring, left front inner tie rod assembly, multiple alignments, and the new hood which I had mentioned earlier.  This plus the regular maintenance program.  I’ve rechecked my math 3 times and unfortunately this is the total.  We switched from Ford after 7 years to a small garage that was recommended to us, but the costs are still crazy.  I can remember hitting one pothole, but am otherwise very good about going around them.  We now do our own cabin filters because it is so easy to do and much cheaper.  Unfortunately with the mechanics of the car, I have to trust someone else.  Thanks for your input.

• 1 year later...

$22k (Canadian) does seem a little high. Assuming an 80% exchange rate that equates to $17k US ÷ 11 years = $1,500/year. The average cost for a 2010 Ford Edge is $611/year here in the US. That's around $770/year CN.

A lot of people don't keep their cars in tip-top shape (or act as their own mechanic) which allows them to get by for much less. But assuming you take the car to the dealer, have all recommended maintenance performed and still carry full coverage insurance, those numbers really aren't out of line.

As for rustproofing, I've never had good luck with these services. In-fact, I actually believe that they make the situation worse. I have a 2009 MKX and zero rust. (Other than the driveshaft and suspension parts). I just run it throjgh the local car wash once a week. Washes off the salt and dirt, major cause of rusting.

I also have a full Lincoln PremiumCARE extended warranty on my 09. Just good protection on an old(er) car (PTU, water pump, struts and ball joints, etc.). Nice to take it in for an oil change, have the service rep come out, slowly sit next to you and tell you you need a new PTU and various suspension parts and you say "ok, where's my loaner"? Or hit a curb and blow a tire in a downpour, call Lincoln and have a tow truck come out and change the tire. All while I sit in the car warm and dry. Or the free car washes or free loaners or the other goodies that's included. 

• Like 1

Wow! The "Wedge" that my wife bought new in late 2014, has prolly cost us, maybe 2000.00. It is an SEL AWD, and most of that was a new set of tires, (the OEM pirelli's lasted almost 80,000 miles,) 1 new battery, and oil changes every 6000 miles, (Mobil 1 0w-20) I did coolant, tranny flushes myself, as well as plugs, and filters. IMO, it's not the Brand, it's the greedy dealer!

I said it, Canadian Ford (st)ealers...

On 3/5/2021 at 6:16 PM, enigma-2 said:

As for rustproofing, I've never had good luck with these services. In-fact, I actually believe that they make the situation worse. I have a 2009 MKX and zero rust. (Other than the driveshaft and suspension parts). I just run it throjgh the local car wash once a week. Washes off the salt and dirt, major cause of rusting.

Glad to hear your experience.  I have had the same bad luck: after many rust "proof" treatments car all rusted out.  I just had to redo both rocket panels after many Krown treatments...  No luck for my cars.

In her case, the problem is not the warranty, she had it; her problem is the Ford stealer.  If she buys a new Ford she'll be faced with the same ...overcharged extra bills, unfortunately.

Edited by Edgingage