New 19' Edge Titanium owner Impressions

Drunklahey

I've only had the car now for a couple weeks and except for a few dislikes I love this car.  Looking for feedback as too why Ford clearly messed up on a few things IMO.

- No beeping sound for Blind Spot Monitoring.  Our Hyundai would make a beep sound if it sensed you were changing lanes with a car in your blind spot.  Not something I rely on alot since I'm pretty good at checking my blind spot but it saved me a couple times.  Whats the reason for no audio warning ?

- Driver seat not low enough.  I like my seat as low as it can go.  I'm only 5'11" but I find I have to duck my head getting into the car, not good.

- No express rear windows and they don't go down all the way.  Wasn't that like a child proof feature cars had back in the 70's and 80's was shocked to see it on a 2019 vehicle.  Also why no express up/down rear windows like I have in my Fusion ?

- No ambient light in back seat.  Again, my Fusion has the interior ambient light option and it lights up the floor of the back seat.  Nothing on the Edge WTF.

I think Ford has gone on a bit of an de-contenting program of late. 2 horns went to one horn, no more hood insulation and engine cover now are some of the omissions that come to mind.

My Sorento had a number of features my Lincoln does not have and visa versa. In the end there's always some compromise involved.

I test drove the Edge ST and the Titanium and came away thinking that they were very solid and quiet which are two qualities my Sorento had in spades.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Drunklahey said:

- No beeping sound for Blind Spot Monitoring. 

- No express rear windows and they don't go down all the way.  Wasn't that like a child proof feature cars had back in the 70's and 80's was shocked to see it on a 2019 vehicle.  Also why no express up/down rear windows like I have in my Fusion ?

- No ambient light in back seat.  Again, my Fusion has the interior ambient light option and it lights up the floor of the back seat.  Nothing on the Edge WTF.

It's interesting some manufacturers think the audible warning is the way to go while others use a visual cue.  You'll notice your Edge turns a warning light on in the mirror if there's another vehicle in your blind spot.  If your turn signals are activated that light begins flashing at you.  Some designer probably figures if you're looking at the mirror before making a lane change you'll notice the stepped up warnings.

Lack of express rear windows is curious in an otherwise very well equipped vehicle but maybe it's considered a safety feature?  Or, again, a designer (or focus group) determined the rear windows are very rarely rolled down anyway and a driver can certainly hold a button for ten seconds to open/close them.   Hey, it hasn't been that long since we had to reach back and roll the darn things up and down with a crank!

My '16 Ti does have mood lighting in the rear.  It's tucked up under the back of the front seat so it illuminates the back seat floor area.  Maybe it was deleted for '19?  Just for grins check your ambient light control to be sure it's turned all the way up.

Cheers!

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, handfiler said:

I think Ford has gone on a bit of an de-contenting program of late. 2 horns went to one horn, no more hood insulation and engine cover now are some of the omissions that come to mind.

My Sorento had a number of features my Lincoln does not have and visa versa. In the end there's always some compromise involved.

I test drove the Edge ST and the Titanium and came away thinking that they were very solid and quiet which are two qualities my Sorento had in spades.

Yes I forgot about the horn to add to my list.  However I can live with that its barely used.  I did also notice no hood insulation which I thought looked weird.

14 minutes ago, Gadgetjq said:

Lack of express rear windows is curious in an otherwise very well equipped vehicle but maybe it's considered a safety feature?  Or, again, a designer (or focus group) determined the rear windows are very rarely rolled down anyway and a driver can certainly hold a button for ten seconds to open/close them. 

There is no rear one touch windows on the Edge only to reduce cost. Ford has them on some other vehicles and all (most) Lincolns. Even the Euro Edge has them.

And one more item to add to the decontented list is the small drawer to the left of the steering wheel.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Gadgetjq said:

It's interesting some manufacturers think the audible warning is the way to go while others use a visual cue.  You'll notice your Edge turns a warning light on in the mirror if there's another vehicle in your blind spot.  If your turn signals are activated that light begins flashing at you.  Some designer probably figures if you're looking at the mirror before making a lane change you'll notice the stepped up warnings.

Lack of express rear windows is curious in an otherwise very well equipped vehicle but maybe it's considered a safety feature?  Or, again, a designer (or focus group) determined the rear windows are very rarely rolled down anyway and a driver can certainly hold a button for ten seconds to open/close them.   Hey, it hasn't been that long since we had to reach back and roll the darn things up and down with a crank!

My '16 Ti does have mood lighting in the rear.  It's tucked up under the back of the front seat so it illuminates the back seat floor area.  Maybe it was deleted for '19?  Just for grins check your ambient light control to be sure it's turned all the way up.

Cheers!

Yes I see the light come on in the mirror I'll have to get used to that the Hyundai did both.  I don't get how any designer with any sense would think an audible warning isn't necessary when you check your blind spot your side mirror is only one of three spots your checking so your not always looking at your mirror.

Agreed the lack of express rear windows is curious.  Probably some rarely ever use it but with young kids in the back seat I use it regularly.  And its not like Ford doesn't already do it in their other vehicles I had that feature in my 13' Fusion and now in my 17' Fusion.  Same buttons basically the exact same interior and dash.  And your right were spoiled now, not that long ago we were manually cranking our windows up and down.

My ambient lighting is set to the highest level.  Its the same with the express windows, Ford felt the need to put these options in a Fusion but not a fully loaded Edge...

2 hours ago, Drunklahey said:

Yes I see the light come on in the mirror I'll have to get used to that the Hyundai did both.  I don't get how any designer with any sense would think an audible warning isn't necessary when you check your blind spot your side mirror is only one of three spots your checking so your not always looking at your mirror.

Agreed the lack of express rear windows is curious.  Probably some rarely ever use it but with young kids in the back seat I use it regularly.  And its not like Ford doesn't already do it in their other vehicles I had that feature in my 13' Fusion and now in my 17' Fusion.  Same buttons basically the exact same interior and dash.  And your right were spoiled now, not that long ago we were manually cranking our windows up and down.

My ambient lighting is set to the highest level.  Its the same with the express windows, Ford felt the need to put these options in a Fusion but not a fully loaded Edge...

If you're already looking by turning your head (which you should always do regardless) then you don't need any type of extra alert.   The light is an extra layer of safety.   I would not want an audible alert personally, but I wouldn't mind if it was an option.

What I do not like is Honda's solution which is to activate a camera in the center stack display.   That is far too distracting to look at and interpret while driving.

• 1 month later...
On 2/27/2020 at 3:59 PM, akirby said:

If you're already looking by turning your head (which you should always do regardless) then you don't need any type of extra alert.   The light is an extra layer of safety.   I would not want an audible alert personally, but I wouldn't mind if it was an option.

What I do not like is Honda's solution which is to activate a camera in the center stack display.   That is far too distracting to look at and interpret while driving.

I do a shoulder check everytime but also look at the rearview and side mirrors so I'm not always looking at the side mirror to see the light on.  Shoulder checks aren't 100% especially in certain vehicles.  I don't like audible alerts myself but for that rare time it sounds and avoids a potential accident its worth it IMO.  At least have the option to turn it on or off like you do with lane keeping, which I turn off.

Agreed having the center stack display activated would be a big distraction.  Didn't know Honda did that.

2 hours ago, txaggie said:

Rear windows can't go down all the way because of lack of space where the rear wheel well intrudes into the bottom of the door.  This eats up the space needed for the full size window.

Good to know thanks.  Still strange you don't see that on alot of vehicles anymore.