2019 Edge ST Tailgate Panel Removed

Hi guys,

Just wanted to make a post on what the tailgate looks like with the panel removed.  I wanted to tint my tail lights and you have to remove the tailgate panel to access the lights on the tailgate.  I tinted the lights with VHT Night Shade

I uploaded a video to youtube that shows all the pieces.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0mzrgMb9OyI

For this job you’ll want panel pullers, a 7mm socket, a 10mm socket, pliers, and a flathead screwdriver.

Your first step is to pop off the handle cover using panel pullers or the flathead screw driver.  Once the cover is off there are two 7mm screws you’ll need to take off.

Then you can go around the outside of the panel and start pulling it off.  It comes off really easy.  There is one wire going to the door close button, just detach that.

Once the panel is off I suggest starting with the drive side light.  There are 5 nuts that need to come off.  Those are size 10mm nuts.  The passenger side is the same except the upper outboard bolt has a bundle zip tied to it.  Carefully cut the zip tie (NOT THE BUNDLE), and then there is a plastic piece that you need to pull off with some pliers.  Then you can access the last 10mm bolt.  Each light is connected to a connector which is easy to disconnect.

The side lights are easy to take off.  There is one bolt hidden by a plastic cover.  Once the bolt removed it takes a bit of force to get the light assy off, and there is one connector.

Video again

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0mzrgMb9OyI

Enjoy

BEEFNUTS

IMG_5111.JPG

• Like 5

On 3/27/2020 at 5:13 PM, Beefnuts said:

Not too dark.  I just wanted to smoke them a bit.  I don’t want to be so dark another driver couldn’t see me in bad weather or fog. 

The state law is the red must be visible. I doubt they’d pull anyone over for that around here anyways.

If the first picture is "after" then you sure nailed it without going too dark - looks good.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

That's what I heard also,but you actually had it completely apart to verify.saved me a lot of  unessary work.my backup camera is terrible in my new 2019 SEL ,I have a 2007 SEL with aftermarket head unit built in with led reverse lights and it's perfect backing in to the same spot.wicked bright! Ya! I'm from Boston!

• 4 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Lunar_ST said:

have you figured out how to remove the black plastic center panel that runs between the tail lights? I need to get that off in order to get the rear FORD emblem off apparently. 

Not sure, but I thought the rear Ford Emblem was mounted with double sided tape, something along the 3M type? with tabs to help with alignment. 

Edited by Sage

15 hours ago, Sage said:

Not sure, but I thought the rear Ford Emblem was mounted with double sided tape, something along the 3M type? with tabs to help with alignment. 

Not on 19s. I have tried to use the fishing line, and although there was some Adhesive holding it on edges, there is definitely two mounting points towards the middle. I tried to use a plastic pry tool with no avail. I’m convinced I have to remove that panel to get the emblem off. I will know tomorrow when i disassemble it all  

On 5/1/2020 at 7:44 AM, ONEDGE16 said:

based on the parts picture, it doesn't look like it's bolted on, but for sure those pins would prevent running a fishing line Or floss across to remove the adhesive.

Emblem - Ford (FL3Z-9942528-B).jpg

Those two long pins actually have 10mm nuts that’s screw onto them and hold the emblem on. I removed the rear finally. Here is a vid of the removal 

• Like 2