'18 Ford Edge Intelligent Access Programming Problems

So I wanted to get a new key for my Edge, I bought a matching one on Ebay that said it would work with my car and after following the programming steps the key only starts the car if it is in the special slot and none of the buttons work. I have verified that the battery is new and working. Does anyone know of any fixes or any steps in programming that specifically program the buttons? Thanks. 

Yes, there are 2 frequencies. 902MHz & 868MHz if I remember correctly. Do both remotes look the same & have the same number of buttons? If so, the FCC numbers should match if they are of the same frequency. I don't if is is possible for a remote with a different frequency is possible to still start a vehicle from the back up slot, though it makes sense since you can still use it in the slot even without a battery.

Is the other frequency like 315mhz by any chance, other websites showed remotes without the remote start button at that frequency. I got a remote without the remote start while the others do, I PM’ed the seller before buying and they assured that all IA keys should be cross compatible but it appears that’s other sites show radically different frequencies. Forscan is also showing a DTC now 

As far as I know, with remote start, the frequencies are 902 or 868. Non remote start might be 315 or 433 (if they are similar to older vehicles).  Do both keys look the same and have the same number of buttons? 

Found this post in ForScan with the same DTC.

Also attached is the 2015 DTC chart if it helps.

B1218 is mentioned there:

image.png.c2a8a66247fc328862cea1beb0f7fa7b.png

Locks, Latches and Entry Systems.pdf

https://myaccount.carandtruckremotes.com/cyc/search/searchv1.php?searchyear=2018&searchmake=Ford&searchmodel=Edge

I have gotten two remotes from this sight.  One for an SEL and one for an ST.   

Programmed both following the owners manual.  Have had absolutely no issues at all.

Not sure who you used or how much you paid, but the listed products were well worth it.

Compatibility requires both FCC ID and chipset match. There are often different FCC IDs or chipsets within the same model/year depending on trim and even which factory the VIN came out of. Once you're certain you have the correct replacement part, it's best to have an equipped locksmith do the reprogramming to your specific vehicle.

The thing is I have a VCM 2 and IDS so when I get another key in I would need to clear my PATS because I reached the max, but ford went off and decided that for their newest cars you are REQUIRED to be a licensed locksmith to access PATS on IDS. It absolutely boils my blood that I have the tools and means to program my keys but I have to pay some greedy locksmith 200 bucks for reprogramming. It’d be nice if there was some pushback on this policy but I guess not. It just sucks how anti-consumer everything is getting.

5 hours ago, colinc755 said:

The thing is I have a VCM 2 and IDS so when I get another key in I would need to clear my PATS because I reached the max, but ford went off and decided that for their newest cars you are REQUIRED to be a licensed locksmith to access PATS on IDS. It absolutely boils my blood that I have the tools and means to program my keys but I have to pay some greedy locksmith 200 bucks for reprogramming. It’d be nice if there was some pushback on this policy but I guess not. It just sucks how anti-consumer everything is getting.

Things like that are changing because of hacked software (Non-licensed) and programs developed in direct violation of reverse engineering agreements.  You either have to be a licensed locksmith or dealer code access.  You can't even read the door keypad code on newer model years.

Edited by jmr061

8 hours ago, colinc755 said:

I think the online subscription is to also keep track of who added keys to which vehicles, otherwise anyone with those tools can program new keys to customer vehicles with no control. At least this way there is some sort of traceability.

I have no problem creating a log in or anything like that. Ford clearly put blockers in place to keep the average joe out which to me is absurd. The way ford has it all the locksmith can just name their price for clicking 2 buttons on a computer, this is a task that I am perfectly capable of doing. It takes away any competition and it forces the consumer to spend money. Maybe that makes sense to some but to me I think that I should be able to program keys to the car that’s in my name and in my garage, the fact that ford thinks they can just out of nowhere take that away is egregious. Who’s to say that accessing modules at all isn’t this way in the future. 

2 hours ago, colinc755 said:

I have no problem creating a log in or anything like that. Ford clearly put blockers in place to keep the average joe out which to me is absurd. The way ford has it all the locksmith can just name their price for clicking 2 buttons on a computer, this is a task that I am perfectly capable of doing. It takes away any competition and it forces the consumer to spend money. Maybe that makes sense to some but to me I think that I should be able to program keys to the car that’s in my name and in my garage, the fact that ford thinks they can just out of nowhere take that away is egregious. Who’s to say that accessing modules at all isn’t this way in the future. 

There are thousands upon thousands of licensed locksmiths and Ford dealers - plenty of competition.   And they allow you to program your own keys as long as you have 2 and haven't exceeded the limit.

It's a security measure.  Why should anybody be able to program new keys?  What would stop a mechanic with bad intentions from adding their own key to yours and then stealing the vehicle?  Why is that "absurd"?

Well anyone who would want to steal my car would need to be able to turn it on, have a VCM, and 10 minutes to access PATS (the old method). Was theft through pats programming really such a problem before, because I haven't heard of that where I am from. My point is if I have a VCM and I paid for IDS legit why should I also have to be a locksmith as well to work on my own car. To your point of bad mechanics stealing cars, there already exist tools that are able to add keys without going through fords stupid server, so I would imagine any mechanic in the business of stealing cars would use that rather than IDS. The locksmith that came to my place used one of these sketchy tools, so even he did not go through fords stupid method. So really this does nothing in terms of security except for locking out DIY'ers from being able to access a function on their cars. Why is it a '14 edge with keyless ignition can be programmed the old way but the '15 plus with keyless cant? Is there data to support that '14 edges are stolen more often than '15s? Not likely. All of my problems would be solved if Ford offered some method of vetting that would allow me to do this to my car, I will jump through any hoop as long as it isn't "owning a business with million-dollar insurance." I bring this up because right to repair is a big deal right now and this makes ford guilty of withholding repair information/ software. It is totally artificial competition to make me pay 200 bucks for some guy to click 2 buttons. I don't need him/her to waste their gas to come out, I don't want them hooking their shady computers up to my car (because of the stupid requirements), and I don't want to pay their insane price.  

• Like 1

19 hours ago, colinc755 said:

Well anyone who would want to steal my car would need to be able to turn it on, have a VCM, and 10 minutes to access PATS (the old method). Was theft through pats programming really such a problem before, because I haven't heard of that where I am from. My point is if I have a VCM and I paid for IDS legit why should I also have to be a locksmith as well to work on my own car. To your point of bad mechanics stealing cars, there already exist tools that are able to add keys without going through fords stupid server, so I would imagine any mechanic in the business of stealing cars would use that rather than IDS. The locksmith that came to my place used one of these sketchy tools, so even he did not go through fords stupid method. So really this does nothing in terms of security except for locking out DIY'ers from being able to access a function on their cars. Why is it a '14 edge with keyless ignition can be programmed the old way but the '15 plus with keyless cant? Is there data to support that '14 edges are stolen more often than '15s? Not likely. All of my problems would be solved if Ford offered some method of vetting that would allow me to do this to my car, I will jump through any hoop as long as it isn't "owning a business with million-dollar insurance." I bring this up because right to repair is a big deal right now and this makes ford guilty of withholding repair information/ software. It is totally artificial competition to make me pay 200 bucks for some guy to click 2 buttons. I don't need him/her to waste their gas to come out, I don't want them hooking their shady computers up to my car (because of the stupid requirements), and I don't want to pay their insane price.  

The same reason why my 2004 Crown Vic had a single double sided metal key and my 2019 Edge has a multi function key FOB.  It's called advanced technology.

Normally I would agree with that argument but ford did not advance the technology at all. The keys themselves still use the same encryption and still operate at the same frequencies. There are actually videos of hackers sending out signals to trick these new ford's into unlocking and remote starting. Like I said in my previous post there are still hack tools that can access PATS so this is no advancement in security. What ford did was make a conscious effort to lock people out of programming keys on their own ford branded scan tools. There was no need to do this other than locking out DIY'ers. I have to say I am quite shocked that so many people on a car forum are ready to defend the fact that they now have to pay someone to click buttons on a computer. Are you guys a part of the locksmith union or something? :) 

• 2 years later...