2016 Edge 2.0L How to Remove Battery

oskar27

Perhaps there is a procedure on how to remove the battery on the 2016 Edge (searching the web I found non) but as silly as it sounds I can’t see how it is done safely. As you can see on the attached picture, the negative post is located at the back end of the battery and to remove it, which as far as I know it’s the first to do, there is a free space of about 2” above the cable which is hardly enough to remove any of the 3 bolts I see on that post.

The owners guide describes a procedure to reset the electronics after battery removal which is fine but there is nothing about the battery removal

Anyone has done it or knows where I can get the procedure?

2016 Edge Battery2.JPG

I've seen a Youtube of someone removing this battery. When you remove the hold down in the front, you can then slide the battery towards you, making the negative terminal accessible.

I haven't actually done this, but I also have a 2016 and expect to be doing this soon, so I'll be interested to hear from someone who has actually changed the battery.

remove the top of your airbox & remove it from the intake tube.  Disconnect the hold down, the disconnect the positive battery cable & wrap the end in a rag or something non conductive.  Then slide battery forward enough to remove the negative battery cable.  Slide old battery out & replace with new one.  Do the steps in reverse to reinstall new battery.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, lildisco said:

remove the top of your airbox & remove it from the intake tube.  Disconnect the hold down, then disconnect the positive battery cable & wrap the end in a rag or something non conductive.  Then slide battery forward enough to remove the negative battery cable.  Slide old battery out & replace with new one.  Do the steps in reverse to reinstall new battery.

That bold part - the risk of the wrench coming in contact with anything grounded while doing that step will have disastrous results, and the reason behind removing the negative first.

I haven't done this on my Edge yet, but if at all possible I would try and shift the battery forward to allow access to the negative terminal.

• Like 1

I agree, regardless how careful you are, the possibility exist to have a disaster if you first remove the positive terminal.

I haven’t remove the battery yet but when I do I may discover that without disconnecting the positive cable first you can’t have proper access to the negative post. In that case I don’t know what I will do.

I remember in old cars, 60’s and 70’s, when you removed the positive cable first you used to get sparks! (some times). In that case if the same happens now these sparks if they happened can burn a lot of sensitive electronics.

Attached is the procedure from the service manual. It does specify negative cable first. Though I did not change it, but when disconnecting the battery for any reason I would just remove the positive cable, no ground is close to it anyway. Nothing happened, guess I was lucky and should reconsider how I do it next time.

Battery R and I.pdf

Battery Disconnect and Connect.pdf

• Like 2

Those of us that tow our edges behind MH disconnect battery for towing as required by Ford. There is a kit from Roadmaster towing to install a latching relay operated  by a push button switch for battery disconnect. I just installed one on my ST.  They disconnect the positive cable since the negative is so difficult to reach.  They have been making this kit for quite a while.  I am not concerned at all disconnecting the positive cable, but of course no wrench on battery terminals everytime.

https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories-and-Parts/Ford/Edge/Roadmaster/RM-766.html

4 hours ago, dajo2012 said:

Those of us that tow our edges behind MH disconnect battery for towing as required by Ford. There is a kit from Roadmaster towing to install a latching relay operated  by a push button switch for battery disconnect. I just installed one on my ST.  They disconnect the positive cable since the negative is so difficult to reach.  They have been making this kit for quite a while.  I am not concerned at all disconnecting the positive cable, but of course no wrench on battery terminals everytime.

https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories-and-Parts/Ford/Edge/Roadmaster/RM-766.html

Good idea but expensive one if you only want to service the battery

12 hours ago, oskar27 said:

Very good info provided including the .PDF files. I will also have a look on removing the cowl & wipers.

Had to do that on daughter's escape to replace the purge valve - ended up being a lot easier than I expected.  I think it was only 2 bolts (one per side) and 2 nuts (one per wiper) and it just lifted off.  Only takes a few minutes.

• Like 1

Omar302 seems you have a knack finding the right docs, thanks

akirby I looked in mine and yes I only have 2 bolts too but looking at the docs omar302 sent it looks like it is more complicated.

When the time comes I will have a closer look at all options

• Like 1