It is Possible/Probable To Add AC Outlet To Non-Equipped Edges!!!

So after some thinking I did some investigation on my 2018 Ford Edge Titanium 300A to see if it was possible to add an AC outlet to the rear console of the car. As it turns out, it is actually pretty easy to do so. In these vehicles the outlet functions off of a DC/AC converter that is found underneath the passenger seat. In my Titanium (can't speak for other trims) the spot where the inverter should be was totally intact and Ford left over a wiring harness for it. Sometimes Ford's laziness really comes in handy :) . This connector is fused and connected to the BCM so from what I can tell all I would need to do to add the outlet would be to buy an inverter, outlet wiring harness, and outlet trim. Now this may cost in the ballpark of 300 dollars, which some may say is too much for an inverter. The good news however is that this solution is completely stock and requires no splicing. I will continue to post updates about this project as well as all of the factory manual material I used in case anyone else would like to attempt this project. If anyone has done this before it would be extremely beneficial if I could have the part number for the wiring harness from the inverter to the outlet. If and when I finish this I plan on morphing this post into a how-to guide just like my factory remote start guide. If anyone has any input or questions I will try to stay up to date on this post!  

Note: Due to the 4mb limit I have placed all of the files in this drive link: (https://drive.google.com/open?id=1tUEdKOAMkMWUPQuIsCPs791ccQLHqlTE

• Like 1

Well yes as I said some may say that going aftermarket could be cheaper. For me at least, I know my way around a pick and pull as well as online retailers so getting the parts at a good price won't be hard. Looking at the large gauges of wire used in that area, it seems like it would be a good idea to leave the ford wiring intact. It also looks like the inverter is meant to have some sort of communication with the BCM so that is another reason I would say that stock here is probably better. Although for anyone that is into aftermarket mods, having a fused 12v line as well as a ground in the cab is pretty handy. 

• 5 weeks later...
12 hours ago, enigma-2 said:

Like to ask, what good is it anyways? What exactly do you need 120 volts ac in a car? (Just curious why you would spend $300 for one).

Charging a laptop, powering a video game system or home dvd player, small hair dryer, fast charging a tablet, etc. etc. etc.

On 6/29/2020 at 2:33 PM, akirby said:

Charging a laptop, powering a video game system or home dvd player, small hair dryer, fast charging a tablet, etc. etc. etc.

My laptop charges from the power outlet, video game system (in a car????), home DVD player (yea it's great to watch a movie while stuck in traffic, besides my MKX has a DVD player in the apim), small hair dryer (ummm, ok, but they do make 12 volt hair dryers), fast charging a tablet - most tables limit the charge whether on 12 volt or 120 due to heat.

Point is, it's just a gimmick. If you need 120 volts, buy an inverter and plug it in your power outlet. I really can't think of any good reason to need one in this day and age. 

On 6/29/2020 at 2:34 PM, akirby said:

The 2021 F150 has a built in generator with multiple outlets in the bed.   Very useful on construction sites.

From what I see nowadays, most everyone I know uses a small Honda genset and Dewalt 20 volt cordless tools. (Genset recharges the battery packs). And not just construction, around my neck of the woods, most farmers carry a genset. It's just gotta be more convenient than dragging a truck around....

1 hour ago, enigma-2 said:

From what I see nowadays, most everyone I know uses a small Honda genset and Dewalt 20 volt cordless tools. (Genset recharges the battery packs). And not just construction, around my neck of the woods, most farmers carry a genset. It's just gotta be more convenient than dragging a truck around....

What drags the genset and tools and you around?   The truck!!

Edited by akirby

1 hour ago, enigma-2 said:

My laptop charges from the power outlet, video game system (in a car????), home DVD player (yea it's great to watch a movie while stuck in traffic, besides my MKX has a DVD player in the apim), small hair dryer (ummm, ok, but they do make 12 volt hair dryers), fast charging a tablet - most tables limit the charge whether on 12 volt or 120 due to heat.

Point is, it's just a gimmick. If you need 120 volts, buy an inverter and plug it in your power outlet. I really can't think of any good reason to need one in this day and age. 

Lots of folks with kids use laptops, DVD players and video game systems in the car,

As for buy an inverter and plug it in that’s exactly what this is, just OEM vs, aftermarket.

Just have to let it out, Ford, with all of its wisdom, has equipped their Ford vehicles exported to our region (those optioned with it) with the AC outlet with the US plug style & 120v, even though we use the UK plug style and 240v. And they do have a UK plug 240v inverter because the Edge sold in UK has them.

On 7/1/2020 at 2:09 AM, omar302 said:

Just have to let it out, Ford, with all of its wisdom, has equipped their Ford vehicles exported to our region (those optioned with it) with the AC outlet with the US plug style & 120v, even though we use the UK plug style and 240v. And they do have a UK plug 240v inverter because the Edge sold in UK has them.

See?  Ford "does" have a sense of humor. 

• Haha 2