21" or 18" Wheels

svlaming

So I plan on buying my first edge ST (2020) in the next few months once the 2021's come out my question is besides the apperance what are the pros and cons between the performance package wheels (21") and the standard 18" set up

Edited by svlaming
spelling error

Larger wheels (arguably) look better and the lower profile tire usually offers superior handling compared to a taller (more flexy) sidewall.  There's the upside.

Larger wheels also mean a lot more unsprung weight which can affect ride (which is already stiffened a bit by a lower profile tire).  The additional weight is also a negative factor for acceleration i.e. your 0-60 time will be marginally lower with the 18" wheel than with the 21" wheel. 
Someday when you have a few extra minutes, visit tirerack.com and compare the exact same wheel in both 18 and 21 inch sizes then compare the exact same tire (adding up to the same circumference) in both wheel sizes.  You'll find the difference can be 15 or more pounds per corner.

Edit to add: While you're there, price a 21" tire compared to the 18".

Edited by Gadgetjq
  • Like 1

The standard wheels on the ST are 20", not 18".

One more difference, 20" replacement tires are generally cheaper and easier to find than 21" tires. Also, 21" are more prone to damage due to the lower profile tires.

Edited by omar302
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Aside from the fact that a larger rim looks cooler than a smaller wheel, a larger wheel can help with handling and higher speed. Lower profile wheel is cheaper and is really the best choice if you do not want to spend more. 18" inch wheel is not a bad choice in my opinion.

On 6/9/2020 at 1:17 PM, svlaming said:

So I plan on buying my first edge ST (2020) in the next few months once the 2021's come out my question is besides the apperance what are the pros and cons between the performance package wheels (21") and the standard 18" set up

We just bought a 2020 Edge ST and window sticker has :

OPTIONAL EQUIPMENT/OTHER .

20" BRT MCH ALM WHL W/PTD PKT .245/50R20 A/S BSW TIRES,

There was no cost for this item. 

• Like 1