Used Edge had cracked pano roof. Buy?

Looking at a super nice 16 Titanium that has the pano roof at a good Ford dealership.  Sales dude told me it was traded with a cracked roof and was totally replaced in their shop to the tune of ~$1500.  He saw this as a positive that it was all new, with new seals and gaskets, no worry about prior maintenance, done by Ford service, etc.  Me, I'm a worry wart and wonder if I should pass on it as I see it's an issue that's been raised here a bit.  

At minimum before committing one way or the other I'll be calling my insurance agent to see if my policy will cover.

Thoughts?  Thanks.

Good that everything was replaced, but why was it cracked in the first place.  Also, what warranty will they give on the replacement?  For me, if it was cracked because of a tree branch, etc, ok fine, but if they do not know or hand you a line and they say no warranty, I would not be comfortable with that.

Edited by Sage

If you like the car and the price is right don't let the roof stop you.  The problems you've seen with the BAMR are mostly due to lack of maintenance.  That's not really the fault of owners since there's no maintenance schedule or procedure mentioned in the owner's manual.    Can they be shattered by a rock?  Sure!  Just like your windshield so glass coverage is a good idea. 
By the way, the moon roof maintenance doesn't have to be complicated.  You'll find a how-to here along with a benchmark for testing that newly replaced roof: https://www.gadgetjq.net/edge/roof/bamr.html 

9 minutes ago, Sage said:

Good that everything was replaced, but why was it cracked in the first place.  Also, what warranty will they give on the replacement?  For me, if it was cracked because of a tree branch, etc, ok fine, but if they do not know or hand you a line and they say no warranty, I would not be comfortable with that.

Dealer doesn't know how it was cracked in first place. It was a local trade but they tell me the previous owner had no idea.  I asked here because I'm concerned it's a problem that could reoccur, due to a defect, body flex, or what have you.

I haven't asked them yet if there's any warranty on the new install, I will if I decide to move ahead.

2 minutes ago, Gadgetjq said:

If you like the car and the price is right don't let the roof stop you.  The problems you've seen with the BAMR are mostly due to lack of maintenance.  That's not really the fault of owners since there's no maintenance schedule or procedure mentioned in the owner's manual.    Can they be shattered by a rock?  Sure!  Just like your windshield so glass coverage is a good idea. 
By the way, the moon roof maintenance doesn't have to be complicated.  You'll find a how-to here along with a benchmark for testing that newly replaced roof: https://www.gadgetjq.net/edge/roof/bamr.html 

Thanks.  Your response backs up their suggestion that a new install is a good thing.  The car has 61k miles on the clock and it's a '16 so maintenance/neglect could very well be the cause.

I wouldn't worry about the roof panel that's been replaced, especially if it was replaced at a Ford dealership... It's no worse than a windshield which could have been replaced in the past. Also, I wouldn't worry about "body flex" as I've never heard of about that... at least not on a Edge.

Claude.;)

P.S: I find that 61k miles for a 4 year old vehicle is not exagerated...

Edited by 2FAST4U

2 minutes ago, 2FAST4U said:

I wouldn't worry about the roof panel that's been replaced, especially if it was replaced at a Ford dealership... It's no worse than a windshield which could have been replaced in the past. Also, I wouldn't worry about "body flex" as I've never heard of about that... at least not on a Edge.

Claude.;)

P.S: I find that 61k miles for a 4 year old vehicle is not exagerated...

thanks.  I would agree mileage isn't out of line, my point was that the car has been around the block enough that lack of attention to maintenance of the roof could've led to the cracking.

When we were looking to buy an EDGE the only lower safety rating area was "roll over" all others were excellent. I wonder if that glass roof plays into that. We bought a 2020 EDGE ST without a sun roof, which was good, as we did not want one. To OP, look around and drive a Sport, there was no turning back when we did. the twin turbo V6 is boss.