2019 Ford Edge Titanium Paint Cracking and Peeling

TitaniumRob

Hi, 

I have a 2019 Ford Edge Titanium with less than 7,000 km. The paint has started to peel, bubble and crack throughout the panels of the car. I've seen areas of the paint splinter with hairline cracks into peeling within a matter of days. Has anyone experienced this? Initial communications with Ford indicate that this is not covered under warranty. 

The car is black.  I've taken the car into my local Ford dealer who sent photos to Ford Corporate. The service person was evidently biased that this wasn't covered. 

A few photos attached. The smudges in some of the photos are from my thumb. 

IMG_2691.jpg

IMG_2579.jpg

IMG_2581.jpg

IMG_2585.jpg

Edited by TitaniumRob

I definitely don't think it could be vandalism or brake fluid. Ford Corp. said that it's 'environmental etching', which can either be insects, insect droppings, bird excrement or sap. I wipe down the car when I see anything and there is damage where I haven't seen anything before. In any case, wouldn't this be beyond anything normal, such as staining? 

2 minutes ago, TitaniumRob said:

I definitely don't think it could be vandalism or brake fluid. Ford Corp. said that it's 'environmental etching', which can either be insects, insect droppings, bird excrement or sap. I wipe down the car when I see anything and there is damage where I haven't seen anything before. In any case, wouldn't this be beyond anything normal, such as staining? 

Had all of the above on numerous vehicles, including the edge, its not going to melt paint, cracking maybe, but melt never.

Looking at the photos, I'm not surprised that warranty was refused - there's no way that it a latent factory defect.

If an internet search revealed a few other owners with the same problem it could swing it just a little in your favor.

If it were me, I'd install surveillance cameras.

This photo looks to me like a chemical attack, and much like brake fluid does.

IMG_2579.jpg 

Hmm the only way I could see the cracking happening from the factory would be if the paint was over baked, but two things would usually occur with that: 1) paint would be darker (can't tell because it's black) and 2) it wouldn't be so localized (it would likely be very large patches or all over the vehicle). Is it just the top coat coming off or is the primer and ecoat coming off as well?

This has been seen before. As the paint is covered with clear coat, it would take a lot of chemicals to eat through and damage the paint. The real cause is a bad paint job, probably has a contaminate on the steel before painting. 

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/dozens-of-ford-vehicle-owners-fed-up-with-flaking-paint-problems-1.3261390

8 hours ago, enigma-2 said:

This has been seen before. As the paint is covered with clear coat, it would take a lot of chemicals to eat through and damage the paint. The real cause is a bad paint job, probably has a contaminate on the steel before painting. 

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/dozens-of-ford-vehicle-owners-fed-up-with-flaking-paint-problems-1.3261390

Personal opinion, the paint failures seen in that article are very different to what we see in this thread.

Well, one thing that is known to happen is if you impregnate aluminum with steel filings (through sanding the metal imperfections) then it can cause galvanic corrosion under the paint. However, I have not seen this issue happen this quickly. The article is from October 2015 and vehicles referenced were 2012's, which makes them most likely around 3 years old (depending on when they're manufactured). The edge in question is a 2019, which makes me believe it is around 1-1.5 years old. I have to agree with 1004ron, I do not believe it is the same issue.

• 2 weeks later...

Update: The damage on the car has gotten worse with new patches of bubbling/cracking/peeling on new panels,  which indicate it was not one instance of vandalism.I 've taken the car to a body shop that confirmed the paint is faulty. The Ford dealership I leased the car from are now in agreement and are fighting with Ford Corp to repaint the car. 

Edited by TitaniumRob

35 minutes ago, TitaniumRob said:

Update: The damage on the car has gotten worse with new patches of bubbling/cracking/peeling on new panels,  which indicate it was not one instance of vandalism.I 've taken the car to a body shop that confirmed the paint is faulty. The Ford dealership I leased the car from are now in agreement and are fighting with Ford Corp to repaint the car. 

On a side note - body shop said that there is evidence that the car has already been repainted (I got the car 'new') because there are dust specks in the paint that don't occur when the car is painted in the factory. Any comments on this and the impact on the warranty? 

Best of luck and Ford Corp.  will most often rely on the dealerships assessment, but not always.

If Ford Corp. see the comment in the dust in the paint, it is unlikely that they'll authorize any work because as you state, that did not happen in the factory and Corp. will leave it to you and the selling dealership to fight out.

Is it the selling dealership that you're dealing with now?

52 minutes ago, TitaniumRob said:

On a side note - body shop said that there is evidence that the car has already been repainted (I got the car 'new') because there are dust specks in the paint that don't occur when the car is painted in the factory. Any comments on this and the impact on the warranty? 

That doesn't mean a whole lot, it could've been repainted in the factory if there were issues with the initial paint job. While areas larger than 4" in diamater are not supposed to be repaired in the paint shop (should just be completely repainted) that doesn't mean it doesn't happen, or it could have been repaired after it was fully built, and there has been plenty of times in which they repaint large areas or entire body panels. And there's plenty of dust/dirt in the factory (even in a paint shop) that could've done this. The best thing you could do is pull the build reports (dealer can pull them but I cannot remember for the life of me what they're called, maybe they're QLS reports? I used to pull them all the time when I worked at the factory). It'll tell you if the vehicle was repainted or repaired in the factory.

Edited by dolsen