New light green coolant

My 09 MKX is in the shop today for several items, one being a flush and change of coolant. My 2009 came with orange and they are switching me over to the new light green coolant.

In-fact, they said that they are switching all Ford/Lincolns over to the new coolant when a flush is due.

They told me they don't even have any of the old stuff on hand any more.

Asked what happens if someone needs topping off before the change and they said the new light green (it actually looks kinda yellow) is compatible ALL old coolants. They just use that.

your mkx would have come with GOLD, not orange tho it may have an orangeish appearance as time passes.

i hope they did not put the new YELLOW in there, as it is not Ford supported.  if upgrading the coolant, it should be SPECIALTY GREEN, which is quite dark.

if you actually had ORANGE, then yes, it could be flushed and YELLOW could be deployed instead.  Just be aware that YELLOW has no use history to back its' reliability.

7 minutes ago, WWWPerfA_ZN0W said:

your mkx would have come with GOLD, not orange tho it may have an orangeish appearance as time passes.

i hope they did not put the new YELLOW in there, as it is not Ford supported.  if upgrading the coolant, it should be SPECIALTY GREEN, which is quite dark.

if you actually had ORANGE, then yes, it could be flushed and YELLOW could be deployed instead.  Just be aware that YELLOW has no use history to back its' reliability.

I could be wrong but I think that ORANGE is for GM vehicles... but not Ford.

Claude.

Ok, was back in yesterday and brought it up with the service assistant. Apparently its now called "gold". Not yellow, not light green, ... "gold". Only coolant Ford is going to recommend for ALL cars. Supposedly compatible with ALL existing Ford coolants. Mentioned that Ford used to have a gold years ago and he acknowledged and said "this is the new gold". (Whatever).

WHAT?  Your guys are WAY confused.  There is no UNIVERSAL coolant from Ford as yet.  And YELLOW is compatible with ORANGE but only if ORANGE is flushed out first, or added to ORANGE in small quantities.

https://www.fcsdchemicalsandlubricants.com/Products/List?cid=10

Dealers aren't necessarily the authority on everything.  Sadly.

• Like 2

Yea, I know. But asked several questions (talked to two different service agent, mgr) and got basically same answer. 

New coolant is universal, not same ad old stuff and is the only coolant Ford recommends. Only coolant they stock.

Next time you're into your local dealer, ask them about this. (This dealer has been fairly good in the past). 

Anyway, they did switch me over the new stuff. Cost enough. Said they did a full flush.

Seems I read somewhere (may have been in another forum) where someone else was switched over to the new stuff, and was questioning it.

Edited by enigma-2
  • Like 1

I would rather trust the official notice from Ford Corp. than a few guys at the local dealership.

Did you see the link I attached to another thread on the same topic, and the PDF included?

www.fcsdchemicalsandlubricants.com/quickref/FCSD%20Motorcraft%20Yellow%20Antifreeze-Coolant%20Backward%20Compatability.pdf

Version 2  August 2020

Backward Compatibility/Use of Motorcraft® Yellow Antifreeze/Coolant with/in place of Motorcraft® Orange Antifreeze/Coolant and Motorcraft® Specialty Green Engine Coolant with Bittering Agent

Ford Engineering has approved the use of yellow-colored Motorcraft® Yellow Antifreeze/Coolant (Ford specifications WSS-M97B57-A1 and WSS-M97B57-A2) to service all Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury vehicles factory-filled with the following antifreeze/coolants:
• Orange-colored Motorcraft® Orange Antifreeze/Coolant (Ford specifications WSS-M97B44-D and WSS-M97B44-D2)
• Dark green-colored Motorcraft® Specialty Green Engine Coolant with Bittering Agent (Ford specification WSS-M97B55-A)

Important: Do not use Motorcraft® Yellow Antifreeze/Coolant to service Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury vehicles factory-filled with any other Motorcraft® antifreeze/coolant. In the case of these vehicles, Motorcraft® Yellow Antifreeze/Coolant is not compatible and therefore is not approved for use. Continue to service these vehicles using only the correct recommended antifreeze/coolant.
Service Information for using Motorcraft® Yellow Antifreeze/Coolant with/in place of Motorcraft® Orange Antifreeze/Coolant and Motorcraft® Specialty Green Engine Coolant with Bittering Agent

Topping off, Draining and Refilling:
• Motorcraft® Yellow Antifreeze/Coolant can be used to top-off or entirely replace (drain and refill) antifreeze/coolant in vehicles factory-filled with Motorcraft® Orange Antifreeze/Coolant and Motorcraft® Specialty Green Engine Coolant.

Flushing:
• Flushing the cooling system is not required prior to entirely replacing (draining and refilling) Motorcraft® Orange Antifreeze/Coolant or Motorcraft® Specialty Green Engine Coolant with Bittering Agent with Motorcraft® Yellow Antifreeze/Coolant if the cooling system is not contaminated.

Normal Scheduled Maintenance:
• Follow the factory-fill antifreeze/coolant change-out intervals in the Scheduled Maintenance section of the vehicle’s Owner’s Manual.
o Example: A 2019 Ford Escape factory-filled with Motorcraft® Orange Antifreeze/Coolant that is topped-off/replaced with Motorcraft® Yellow Antifreeze/Coolant must adhere to the antifreeze/coolant change-out intervals in the 2019 Ford Escape Owner’s Manual’s Scheduled Maintenance section - “initial replacement at six years or 100,000 mi (160,000 km), then every three years or 50,000 mi (80,000 km)”.

Screen Shot 2020-09-07 at 8.17.02 AM.jpg

This is what it looks like mixed 50/50

IMG_5765.JPG

Edited by 1004ron
  • Like 2

I'm certain they drained, flushed and refilled with the new yellow coolant.

As I had the "other" yellow in my mkx, makes me wonder if they made a mistake? 

Believe I'll drop by and show them this pdf.

Edit, I looked up the original coolant and it was gold. Wonder if it wouldn't be a good idea to put a label on the coolant bottle indicating that the coolant has been changed to tbe new yellow? 

Edited by enigma-2
  • Like 1

When I did my wife's 2015 Mustang, I fully drained the Orange and filled with the new Yellow, no flush.

I ordered the concentrated Orange on Amazon and when the Yellow arrived I was about to return it when I read on the S550 Mustang forum that there's been a change.

Genuine Ford Fluid VC-3-B Orange Concentrated Antifreeze/Coolant - 1 Gallon

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BNVK14U/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s02?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Notes: WARNING: MFR INDICATES THIS IS A CA PROP 65 ITEM, ORANGE CONCENTRATED ANTIFREEZE / COOLANT - GALLON
  • Like 1

7I'm following up on this. Called Lincoln and got the local service manager involved. They also brought in the Ford Area Aervice rep.

They sent me a copy of the most current PTI for the 2009 MKX dated 08/23/2030 showing that new yellow is spec'd as a replacement for original gold and green. (This was specific to the 2009 Lincoln MKX). 

Area service rep (out of Michigan) wasn't certain if the other bulletin (the one 1004ron attached) and will check with Ford Engineering tomorrow. 

Local dealer did use a full flush and cleaner (acid base) and distilled water so I doubt that there would be any negative reaction, but we'll see what Ford Engineering says.

Thanks for adding the bulletin, you stired up a real fuss going all the way to Ford Enginereing. 

• Like 2

OK, I see where Ford updated their compatibility document in August (prev doc was from July 2020).  So YELLOW is basically "universal" for the Edge/MKX/Nautilus platform.

https://www.fcsdchemicalsandlubricants.com/quickref/FCSD Motorcraft Yellow Antifreeze-Coolant Backward Compatability.pdf

FCSD Motorcraft Yellow Antifreeze-Coolant Backward Compatability.pdf

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

When I discussed this with my service manager, he said they were told that Ford wants to go with this new coolant exclusively.  He also told me this was the only coolant they new stock. Whenever an older vehicle comes in for a coolant change they switch the vehicle over to this.

I think that you can use it to top off existing coolants, but not all. Would have to check on this , but I thought he said something about the early coolants (meaning gold) not being compatible.  (Think that's why they did an acid wash and full flush on mine).

• Like 1