Are TPMS stems/valves removed when replacing tires on rims?

Edgingage

Hello folks:

This may be kind of stupid question for many of you, but I don't know and need to ask:

When replacing the tires (like putting a new set of tires) on the rims, are the TPMS valves removed as part of the procedure?  I said it's kind of stupid question because for comparison I know the valve stems have to be lose and removed when changing the inner tubs in bicycle wheels lol, but the cars no longer used inner tubes (tires are now tubeless ;), do the TPMS valves/stems still need to be removed anyways when replacing the tires on the rims?

Sorry if my question is too stupid...  I just don't really know, ...and would really want to know for sure.

Thank you.

Edited by Edgingage

No. TPMS valves/stems don't need to be removed to remove/mount tires. I had my tires replaced without removing the stems, although the owners manual states to change the stems when installing new tires. Our local tire shops are not really well educated!!

Important: Remember to replace the wheel valve stems when the road tires are replaced on your vehicle.

• Like 3

Hello folks:

Thanks for making my question not an stupid one.

That's what I thought as well.  I remember replacing the tires before when I first got the Edge and I knew nothing about TPMSs (first car with TPMS for me), and I requested the shop to use short-stem valves when replacing the tires (as they normally put new valve stems when replacing regular tires).  They say "OK" (without looking at my wheels, just complacent with my request), but later they came out of the shop and asked me if I REALLY wanted the valve stems replaced because... they have TPMSs.  I said "Of course not!" lol

The reason for my question now in this thread it's because I'm ordering a new set of winter tires (from different service provider).  The guy giving me the estimate included a charge for "Passenger Valve Stem Service", as well as "Performance Passenger Road Hazard Warranty", among other charges.  I kindly asked him to take off the valve stem charges because my tires have TPMS (...I learned that lol) and I'm not going to replace them yet.  Here is his response:

"Valve stem service is required since we need to remove the valve stem and TPMS sensor from your wheel to change the tires. It covers any shop materials used (new stems, covers, or gaskets) along with the additional labour of moving your TPMS units."

I'm confused...  He said they "...need to remove the valve stem and TPMS sensor..."  This is an ISO-Certified tire dealer in the region (not a guy in the backyard...).

Could you folks please clarify for me if he's right?  Or I should keep arguing..?  I know there's not a lot of money to be charged for that service..., but I just don't like to pay for services not needed or not received.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and suggestions.

Edited by Edgingage

5 hours ago, Edgingage said:

He said they "...need to remove the valve stem and TPMS sensor..."  This is an ISO-Certified tire dealer in the region (not a guy in the backyard...).

Valve stem removal is NOT necessary. As @1004ron stated above, and I had tires replaced on my previous 2011 MKX & current 2016 Edge, the valve stems were not removed. But, the official statement is to replace the valve stems when installing new tires.

Edited by omar302
  • Like 3

I guess this supplier doesn't know well what/how is doing.  Below is his response:

"The valve stem service is a required part of our tire changeover and installation package.

It is not optional and (charges) cannot be removed."  (the brackets are mine).

I think I'm going back to my previous service supplier.  I don't think they charged me for that before, but I'm going to double check this time.

Thanks everybody.

Edited by Edgingage

I had tires replaced at Firestone once on a Chrysler.  They charged for new valve stems, $2 each.  I was like I don't think they had the right valve stems Chrysler TPMS on hand and of course I looked at the wheels and definitely not new ones on there.  They removed the $8 charge for them when I pointed it out.  Imagine how many customers don't catch this.  Nothing like a little extra charge for something not replaced.  It should be noted that some TPMS units do have valve stems that can be replaced as part of a service kit and still maintain the original TPMS unit. 

• Like 3