Unreliable Motorcraft Battery

MikeRinaldi

My name is Mike, and my 2018 Ford Edge Motorcraft Battery (2nd battery after 50,000 miles) loses its 12volts after a third or fourth rainy damp night. Four months ago, dealer could not find a parasitic draw. Upon recharging by AAA, battery works well for two-to-four months, and then dies. This has been occurring since the second Motorcraft battery was installed in January, 2020.

Any thoughts?

Edited by MikeRinaldi

You seem to drive a lot, so it's not a lack of charging-while-driving.  Do you use the battery a lot while the engine is off?  Are the terminals tightly clamped on?  Are you leaving anything plugged in, such as a dashcam or another device that draws power even with the engine off?

What size battery is currently in your Edge?  One workaround is to get the biggest battery possible, but it would just take longer to die off. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, MikeRinaldi said:

Upon recharging by AAA, battery works well for two-to-four months, and then dies

I don't think there's been enough diagnostics to determine that it is what's implied in the title of the thread, and a load test at Autozone will confirm the true status of the battery.

Sounds like an issue with the vehicle.

Please consider adding you location and Model / year to your profile signature - https://www.fordedgeforum.com/settings/signature/

• Like 2

Do yourself a favor. Go buy a smart float charger like Battery Tender or Battery Tender Jr. I had similar issues with batteries (2) on my Edge, but since starting to use my Battery Tender when I know I will not be driving it for several days, or even after a long drive. It is interesting to see how long it takes the Battery Tender to indicate that the battery is fully charged after driving it on fairly long trips. (as indicated by a solid green led on the charger) I offer this as a possible fix for your complaint only if there are no outstanding charge / discharge issues that may exist. Over the years I have discovered that these vehicles a voltage hogs!

Battery Tenders (1280x944).jpg

• Like 3