Strong gasoline smell - outside

Edgingage

Hello folks:

I need to pick your brains and/or experience with the following, please:

Lately, I'd say after the last 3-4 fill-ups, I feel very strong smell of gasoline outside the car; nothing inside, no gas smell inside with the windows up and the climate on or off.  The second last fill-up I even took the car out of the garage thinking of a hazard for explosion (I have the heating furnace room right underneath the garage floor).  Of course after it happened first time I've been extremely careful when I fill up, making sure there is none spill whatsoever.  The thing is that I can't see a single drop of gasoline running down anywhere visible, and no gas spot on the garage floor either.  I'm very puzzled, ...and very worried (I'm a smoker, unfortunately; ...but not in the garage anymore).  Ah, the strong smell is not only inside the garage, I can feel the same strong smell outside if I stand close to the car, around the rear or the car (not so much smell around the front).  I opened the lid of the capless fuel entry (or whatever is called; I can't remember the proper name now but you know what I mean), and I can't feel enough gas smell coming directly from there, if any.

Has anyone smelled something similar before?  Any hints of a potential problem somewhere?  Where should I look, check for signs of trouble?  It's not in my mind, it's real, it's now happening repeatedly (at every fill up) but never ever before, outside or inside the car.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Edited by Edgingage

the canister and vent valve are located under the cabin, protected by a shield.  i believe on the driver side, but you'd have to verify.

the purge valve is on the firewall, i think it unlikely this is the problem, tho.

The fuel filler neck and hoses connected to the fuel tank can also be culprits, altho much less frequently.

• Thanks 1

WWWPerfA (and all) something I forgot or would like to clarify: the smell lasts only for about a couple of days right after filling up.  By the day 3rd or 4th at the most there is not any perceptible smell at all.  Just in case this info helps to pinpoint or narrow down what I should check first before I start to disassemble/replace things that I have no experience doing.

Thanks a lot again before hand for your time and advise.

Edited by Edgingage

could be multiple reasons, such as venting of overpressurization, or leaking fuel that has gathered and finally evaporated.  if you can narrow down the location where the smell is strongest that will help.

Location of the canister/vent valve

https://www.autoblog.com/2016/01/08/symptoms-of-a-bad-or-failing-fuel-filler-neck/

^ about filler neck issues

Edited by WWWPerfA_ZN0W
  • Thanks 2

Hello WWWPerfA (and all):

Thank you once again for your time, directions and advise.  Now I know where to look/check closely next time I fuel up.  Million thanks!

The smell comes for sure from around the rear part of the vehicle.  It seems to me like it smells stronger from around the fuel cap side.  I'm going to try to further narrow down the location for the smell.

I haven't gotten yet any check engine pop up or any other warning in my dash board/cluster panel or in the Information section.  I haven't noticed either a vacuum noise from the fuel cap (I'm going to pay close attention next time) or have had a shut off gun when fueling in.  As such, I'm going to leave the solenoid valve replacement down in my check list, as well as the filler neck, but I'm going to check first on canister and vent both hoses.  If I don't find them plugged, I'm going to replace the solenoid valve.  I'm going to eventually replace the EPV in the engine compartment firewall as well; I think I can do those now that I know what they are and where they are lol (thank YOU!).

From the video, it looks to me like the canister/solenoid valve are located on the same side of the fuel cap.  Please correct me or confirm if you can.

I don't know how old that video is, but that car looks awesome at the bottom!  Mine is all rusty, Canadian winter roads are car killers!  I just had to replace the rocket panels because they didn't pass the annual safety inspection (MVI).  Maybe this could be another "hint" to narrow down where/what the problem may be...

My goodness, how many "little" things to keep a car running...  Kudos to car engineers, ...well, actually, kudos to people like you!

Thank YOU!

Edited by Edgingage

• 1 year later...

Tagging on to this about a 2013 Limited Edge.  We gassed up yesterday and I noticed that the pump clicked off at 3/4 of a tank.  Got out and tried to add more, but kept clicking off.  Left the station and the gauge gradually and eventually went to a full tank, never has done this before so I wrote it off to just being cold out.

Today I went out and the garage smelled like gas.  Checked for codes, none found.  Car starts and runs fine.  No gas smell inside the car, only at or near the rear near the gas door area.   No black smoke on startup either. 

Late here, so I will jack it up tomorrow.  Any thoughts would be appreciated.  Car has 79K on it.

Thanks,

Ed

• 3 weeks later...

This happened to me few years ago and an engine light. Definite gas smell in garage. Dealer tracked it to a split vacuum hose. Said it was on back side of engine (why it took so long to change. Under warranty so no charge). Tech told me they use a  smoke machine to find leaks. They hook it up and watch where the smoke leaks out. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 years later...

I would like to revive this, we are at this issue again.  We replaced the full canister assembly and still have the smell.  (Ford part new) It only happens though if we let the nozzle fill and then click off.  We have tested this by only adding say 5-6 gallons of gas and not letting the nozzle do its thing upon full.  We get no smell when we put a limited amount in.  The smell is always back by the drivers side rear tire. 

I pulled the wheel well and could see evidence of the day initial over spill when using the nozzle at the station to do a complete fill.  But nothing wet on the filler neck. No codes or dash lights either.

Thoughts?

Edited by edc