2019 Edge ST Temporary/Compact Spare Tire

MendoFred

Hello. I recently purchased a 2019 Edge ST and found that it does not have a compact spare tire.

Is this standard for the ST models due to the 21" wheel size ?  I also have the performance brake package.

I take several road trips to remote areas and don't want to get stuck without a spare.  Thanks.

Fred

34 minutes ago, onyxbfly said:

If the lack of a conventional spare tire concerns you, go to a junk yard and get a 18" spare from any 15-18 edge sport. The the 345mm rotors are the same between the ST and the Sport.

My 2017 Sport has a 21" emergency spare and my front rotors are 345mm.

What's behind the suggestion to go with an 18"?

57 minutes ago, akirby said:

Your mini spare has a 21” wheel?  That would certainly solve the caliper clearance issue.

Now you've got me doubting myself and will need to confirm and take a photo when I get home.

It's been many months since I checked the pressure on it and found it way under inflated. 

Mine is the same as the one seen in the below thread - I'll confirm actual size later today.

4 hours ago, 1004ron said:

My 2017 Sport has a 21" emergency spare and my front rotors are 345mm.

What's behind the suggestion to go with an 18"?

IIRC your emergency spare is 18"  I may be mistaken and it could be 19" Your spare comes out 21" including the rubber.  I don't  have access to my sport at the moment or I would go check.  Either way the spare from the sport is an acceptable alternative to the mobility/inflation spare kit. 

The OP has an ST with the performance brake package and he inquired about the spare tire. It was suggested that a regular spare will not clear the brakes.

The only difference between our brakes and the ST performance brakes are the "special compound pads"  The rotors and calipers are the same albeit the calipers are painted red.

If the Op wants a regular spare instead of the emergency inflation kit then he can get a spare from a edge sport.

Edited by onyxbfly
  • Like 1

I have a 2019 ST with the 21” and brake package.  I bought a spare tire off of eBay that works perfectly.  The actual listing says that it is for the Edge.  Fits in the well and works on the fronts just fine.  I am having issues linking to the actual item but look up seller blacklabtire1 on eBay. It was about $150 shipped and came in less than a week.

Mod edit:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/SPARE-TIRE-18-INCH-FITS-2015-2016-2017-2018-2019-2020-2021-FORD-EDGE/324352421036?fits=Model%3AEdge|Make%3AFord&hash=item4b84e92cac:g:q7UAAOSw2Z9a804c

Edited by 1004ron
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, 1004ron said:

There I was all these years assuming that I had a 21" spare wheel in the trunk, and as others have pointed out its an 18".

The OD is significantly smaller than the 21" wheels, so if I was to use it I'll limit the speed and distance to avoid damage to the differential.

Exactly about the difference in the OD, just driving around the neighborhood to make sure no issues with rubbing etc, and it was pretty wild on the front.  I think in a really bad situation, I would make sure that it was only on the back.  (And thanks for edit!!)

• Like 1

Yes, I don't like the idea of  using the 18" emergency spare, and taking another look at it this evening I decided that I'm going to keep one of those Puncture Plug kits, and a small 12v compressor that I already have, in the ample space in the area where the existing spare is kept.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07MR5FX8M/?coliid=I28AFU02Y7FK60&colid=7FQZRUTL8DOG&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

71mqrsYfprL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

1 hour ago, 1004ron said:

Yes, I don't like the idea of  using the 18" emergency spare, and taking another look at it this evening I decided that I'm going to keep one of those Puncture Plug kits, and a small 12v compressor that I already have, in the ample space in the area where the existing spare is kept.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07MR5FX8M/?coliid=I28AFU02Y7FK60&colid=7FQZRUTL8DOG&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

71mqrsYfprL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

I have had one of those in my Edge since I brought it home. :)  

When I  hit a curb and blew out the sidewall on my right front, I just called Lincoln and they sent out a tow truck. He changed my tire in the driving rain. (No cost). Did have to buy a new tire, but that's life.

Can't repair a blown sidewall with an inflator or patch kit. (I do carry a Ford inflator and goo kit, but have no plans to ever use it).