Engine replacement options for the 3.5L ?

jocojim6996

• 1004ron changed the title to engine replacement options for the 3.5L ?

Welcome to the forum, sorry to see that your first post is about a problem. 

Off the top of my head I believe the tranny is standard from 2010-2014.  Your generation edge was available with 3 engine options:

2.0I4  Ecoboost 

3.7 V6 Duratect engine(Edge Sport)

and of course your original 3.5 V6

Personally I would go with the standard engine or the 3.7. you should be good to go with some small changes in programing to account for oil pressure and or small differences between the 3.5 and 3.7. 

HTH Good Luck.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, WWWPerfA_ZN0W said:

Any VCT based 3.5/3.7 is a plug n play motor for your 2010.  The 2.0 did not appear in the Edge till 2012.

So Edge, MKX thru 2010.  Taurus, Flex, MKS, MKT, etc thru 2012 (switched to Ti-VCT in 2013).

Mazda CX9 2007-2010 3.7

Thanks for the clarification Perf

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I am looking at local salvage yards for drop-in replacement engines, and I'm trying to find an authoritative list of compatible donor cars. I don't mind switching out some accessories or sensors as long as the thing is otherwise plug-and-play. I saw a post somewhere where someone said not to trust car-part.com as far as compatibility, so now I'm scared!

I have a subscription to the Ford service manual site that expires tonight, but even there I don't see anything that says "this engine was used on 200x-20xx Edge/MKZ, and 200x-20xx Sable, etc." There's a local yard that has an engine from an 2009 Sable with less than 90k, and it doesn't cost as much as the others that are listed as coming straight out of an Edge, from the same yard. So I'm curious why that would be the case, since generally the prices of the engines seem fairly related to the number of miles on their chassis'. When I compare the specs of both engines, they are all identical (all the engine/piston/rod and head/cam/valve specs). Any help or advice is appreciated.

There are really only two different versions of the FWD based 3.5L, the iVCT and the TiVCT.  The 07-10 Edge used the iVCT.  The difference is the TiVCT has twin variable camshafts, the iVCT only has one.  You can see the difference in the one vs two sensors on the valve cover.  

Other models that used the 3.5L IVCT include the 08-12 Taurus (and Sable), the 09-12 Flex, the 08-12 Fusion Sport and various Lincolns though some of them used the 3.7L version, which could also be used in your Edge.  The F150, Transit and Mustang have also used versions of this engine, but since they are RWD based it would likely be more effort to get those to work properly though probably possible.

• Like 2

• 1004ron changed the title to Engine replacement options for the 3.5L ?