Only Drivers Door will Lock/Unlock w/Intelligent Access

I have a 2018 Edge Sport that I have had since new. I used to be able to lock and unlock using the handle of any door with the intelligent access system. Just recently I can only do this with the drivers door handle. If I try this with any of the other three doors it will not lock pressing on the ribbed area or unlock with my hand inside the handle. Is there a setting that I may of accidently changed that only allows this? I have looked through the owners manual, but cannot find anything reference making only the driver door work when using the intelligent access system. I just want to make sure I am not missing something before going to the dealer for a possible repair. Thanks.

I am having the same issues, it is intermittent for me.  I am thinking 2018/19 are the same setup.  My ST is still under warranty and I have an appointment tomorrow to have it looked at. I will let you know what they say.

Edited by Sage

Ok, the tech could not duplicate the issue, but he worked on it for about 1 1/2 hours.  The tech and advisor stated if it happened again, to bring it back and he will check all the scanners/sensors(?) in all the doors to see if he could find the issue.  That will take a good part of the day, so they will get me home and back when they are done.  

I know it will happen again, just a matter of time.  If any of you figure out out is going on, please post what was found.  If I find out anything, I will post that info. As normal, would not do it when at the dealer.

Yes, I have read that too about the moisture, as I have been doing some google searching on this issue and have seen on just about all of the forums for the different Ford models, people discussing this same issue with their handles. I did see one other post on I believe either an Explorer or Expedition forum, that a weak vehicle battery could cause this issue too. They said that if the system identifies that the vehicle battery is weak, one of things it does to conserve power is to turn off the sensors in all of the door handles except the drivers door. I don't know if that is it or not, but it makes sense. While I believe that my battery is probably ok if i drive it enough, my Edge does sit unused sometimes for several days, and even up to a week. I will have to pay attention to if this happens only after the vehicle sits for a while. 

^^^^ Good point on the battery, as my ST sits most of the time.  When I do drive it, it is for short drives. Now I am thinking of getting a new battery, or tender, or getting with the dealer on this possibility. ^^^^ 

Edited by Sage

35 minutes ago, akirby said:

If it sits for more than a week get a battery tender.  Otherwise get a ctek charger/conditioner and throw it on there a couple times a month.

I ordered a battery tender/auto charger this morning.  Still might consider putting in a new battery, as mine is 27 months old and now it may not be up to specs since it sits a lot.

I put one of my ctek chargers on my Edge, (I have a couple of old cars that I use them on over winter), and when it showed the battery was fully charged I removed it and checked the doors and all of them were working. I have recently needed to drive my car more, and I check the other handles each time I'm out and so far they work every time. Maybe there is something to the handle sensors in the "secondary" doors turning off if the battery is weak?

Got my ST back from the other dealer.  Basically they told me there are no codes and could not duplicate the issue.  When I asked them if they would test the battery, they said there was no reason too.  I have already made an appointment with a local mechanic to test the battery. He will also add the pig tail to hook up my battery maintainer, no extra change. Could not pass up that offer.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
22 minutes ago, Perblue said:

Did this fix it? I'm currently having this issue on my 2019.

It has been two weeks and no issues so far.  I will feel more comfortable in four weeks if everything is still working as it should.  I will post an update around the middle of February.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Sage said:

Ok, I am at 22 days since replacing the battery in my ST. So far my door locks are working as they should.  

I just had mine replaced yesterday on warranty. It kept saying low charge on battery even after 2 5 hour trips the past week and a half. Also yesterday as soon as I parked it and got inside I received a message that it went into deep sleep. So took it in and sure enough the battery failed testing. After replacement the locks work and it no longer is smelling like it's running rich.

So I guess if you aren't leaving your edge parked for extended periods of time and all but the driver's door doesn't work it's likely your battery is dieing.

Ok, this will be my last update since I replaced the battery 30 days ago.  I have not had any further issues with the door locks.  Whenever I parked at the same/different locations, I locked and unlock from different doors each time getting out and back in.  I also have purchased a battery maintainer and keep it plugged in when parked(my ST sits a lot).  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Shiprock

Thanks for this thread.  2019 ST and the driver's door only works for me now.  Makes sense and I'll try to charge up the batter with a tender.  If that doesn't work, I'll post.  Otherwise, it sounds like this would be the solution.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Pispa
On 1/14/2021 at 4:11 PM, Sage said:

Got my ST back from the other dealer.  Basically they told me there are no codes and could not duplicate the issue.  When I asked them if they would test the battery, they said there was no reason too.  I have already made an appointment with a local mechanic to test the battery. He will also add the pig tail to hook up my battery maintainer, no extra change. Could not pass up that offer.  

There is a hook inside the door trim panel that is pushed out so it will not detect the key fob, if your passenger door vibrates while on high speed then that could be the issue too and low battery disables most of the car sensors even giving you the old chime when you turn on the car.

• 1 year later...

Glad you guys posted this info. I've been wrestling with this for a few months. My '19 Edge is at the dealer now. They told me Intelligent Access only works with the driver door, and I shut that down immediately.

Anyway, I thought it might be correlated with rain and moisture, but that didn't seem to match when it would start and stop working. The battery, however, is far more likely. I don't drive much anymore and have been away for >7 days twice in the last six weeks. I would have never thought about it being the car battery, so they are testing it now.