ZFG 91 tune

az_edge_st

3 hours ago, az_edge_st said:

Anyone know the performance difference between 91 and 93 tune on the ST? Trying to determine if a 40 min round trip to closest station that sells 93 will be worth it? 

When I first got the LMS tune I got both  the 91 and the 93 tune, Most of  the time I run  the 91 tune . But on occasion I will use an octane booster and run the 93 tune. Now I have a Sport not an ST but my car response well to the 93 tune. Be careful and never run 91 gas with a 93 tune unless you address the octane 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, az_edge_st said:

Anyone know the performance difference between 91 and 93 tune on the ST? Trying to determine if a 40 min round trip to closest station that sells 93 will be worth it? 

I find it very hard to believe you will be ok with a 40 minute round trip for more than one or two fill ups. I don't think the performance gain would be big enough to justify it.

• Thanks 1

In a DI only setup the intake charge is injected directly into the combustion chamber, hence DI. If the additive is used in an engine that has port injection and DI together,r as in some cars,  then yes, it will clean the backside of the intake valve. The main thing here is that in order for the additive to clean the backside of the intake valve it must come in contact with the backside of the intake valve. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, WWWPerfA_ZN0W said:

that is the conventional wisdom yes.  call up Brian and have a chat. i am going by what he told me, i have yet to own a DI engined vehicle.

I'm curious about this, can you expand on this please? I think there is pretty solid evidence that DI engines do not have the ability to clean the back side (top side?) of valves, but if there is something else that prevents this build up, even in a non-port/DI combo, then I think it is worth discussing.

To be frank, I don't think anyone is going to just "take your word for it" or call Brian. I am not saying you are wrong or that you are a liar, but it's awfully hard to go on blind faith on this topic.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, WWWPerfA_ZN0W said:

that is the conventional wisdom yes.  call up Brian and have a chat. i am going by what he told me, i have yet to own a DI engined vehicle.

Kind of hard to clean something if the cleaner/solvent doesn't touch the dirty area. This would be like saying I walked past the hand sanitizer or the soap so my hands are clean.

• Like 2

Most of us that have DI and are worried about carbon / coaking of the backside of the intake valves have installed catch cans.As I understand the intake valve gets very hot in a DI engine because it does not get cooled or washed by the intake charge.  As blow by gases  and fumes from the crank case are recirculated back into the intake charge for smog reasons,   they collect and solidify on the backside of the hot intake valve.  The addition of a catch can can reduce the amount of contaminants entering the intake stream Thereby reducing the amount of buildup on the backside of the intake valve. 

• Like 1

not asking anyone to take what i say on blind faith, but instead to give you an avenue of research to explore.  i have done my research, some time ago, just didn't want to get into debates over it.

yes, i talked with brian and heard his explanation.  yes, i tried it in our 2010 Fusion Sport and noticed the additional timing it gained (averaging 3 degrees).  have had a few SHO owners try it out as well, especially those in California who don't have 93 fuel. it works, as far as boosting "octane".

the cleaning part, i don't have anecdotal evidence to share, and i said so above.  you guys with boosted engines have vehicles to experiment on and report back, if you so choose.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, WWWPerfA_ZN0W said:

not asking anyone to take what i say on blind faith, but instead to give you an avenue of research to explore.  i have done my research, some time ago, just didn't want to get into debates over it.

yes, i talked with brian and heard his explanation.  yes, i tried it in our 2010 Fusion Sport and noticed the additional timing it gained (averaging 3 degrees).  have had a few SHO owners try it out as well, especially those in California who don't have 93 fuel. it works, as far as boosting "octane".

the cleaning part, i don't have anecdotal evidence to share, and i said so above.  you guys with boosted engines have vehicles to experiment on and report back, if you so choose.

After reading a little on the website, I am interested in this product for the lubricity properties. I'll have to do a little more research, because while it all seems great, I am also getting all of my info from the guy trying to sell me something.

Thanks for sharing