2011 3.5 with stutter or miss

wlepse

I have done some searching here but didn't come up with too much on the NA 3.5 and this issue. I did see someone state they may have had a clogged injector and injector cleaners helped. But here is what we have going on.

Truck has about 150k on it and a little over a year ago a coil pack went bad and we had code. I replaced the bad coil pack and installed new plugs. The problem was gone. Then I started to notice a weird stutter or miss. It almost always happens under partial throttle, when it is happening we can get right on it and it seems to go away. I think it is more prevalent between 40-50mph and possible happens more on tip in or out on the throttle. I have tried forcing it to happen a lot on a drive hoping a code would be thrown but nothing comes up, not even a pending code in FORSCAN.

I have tried injector cleaning and I did not see a change. Maybe it needs a stronger cleaner, so if someone has a suggestion I will give it a try.

Short of the injector cleaner working, does anyone have any ideas? I hate to shotgun parts but I almost feel like that is my only choice at the moment. I was thinking with 150k on the clock I am due to replace O2 sensors so I was going to start there. Then maybe coil packs and plugs. Possibly MAF sensor, but what kills me is I think this should be throwing a code no matter which one of these is causing it. So has anyone had something similar?

Codes only set when event thresholds are met/exceeded.  A certain number of events in succession are considered normal for any parameter being monitored. If the problem is intermittent, that can make it harder to catch.

MAF sensor codes set rather quickly, as you can see by disconnecting the sensor and driving off.  Fun times lol.

If "normal" FI cleaner does not work, I usually turn to BG 44K. yes, MAF and TB cleaning are great ideas. Keep in mind that your 2011 MY has been susceptible to throttle body failure, so maybe inspect and clean the TPS as well. Not expensive/difficult to replace if so desired.

O2 sensors don't normally fail on this powertrain, and in the absence of codes or data log showing lazy/unresponsive sensors, would not change them out at this point.  Instead check knock counts to see if the knock sensor is at issue.  RARE on this engine, have seen a few on the 3.5 EB engines due to wire chafing not actual sensor failure.  Check fuel pressure also, a weak fuel pump or fuel pump control module can prompt issues.

It is possible at the speeds you are stating the torque converter is at issue.  When did you last drain/fill the transmission? It should be done at a minimum every 5/60 interval from mile 0.  If it is due, i suggest doing a 4x D/F with Valvoline Maxlife Full Syn ATF (red jug).  If that makes a difference, add in a tube (or two) of Lubegard Shudder Fixx.  Catching the issue early on means better longterm "fix".

As long as there are no rattles or problems with power loss, most likely the issue is very correctable.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 3/11/2021 at 10:09 AM, wlepse said:

I have done some searching here but didn't come up with too much on the NA 3.5 and this issue. I did see someone state they may have had a clogged injector and injector cleaners helped. But here is what we have going on.

Truck has about 150k on it and a little over a year ago a coil pack went bad and we had code. I replaced the bad coil pack and installed new plugs. The problem was gone. Then I started to notice a weird stutter or miss. It almost always happens under partial throttle, when it is happening we can get right on it and it seems to go away. I think it is more prevalent between 40-50mph and possible happens more on tip in or out on the throttle. I have tried forcing it to happen a lot on a drive hoping a code would be thrown but nothing comes up, not even a pending code in FORSCAN.

I have tried injector cleaning and I did not see a change. Maybe it needs a stronger cleaner, so if someone has a suggestion I will give it a try.

Short of the injector cleaner working, does anyone have any ideas? I hate to shotgun parts but I almost feel like that is my only choice at the moment. I was thinking with 150k on the clock I am due to replace O2 sensors so I was going to start there. Then maybe coil packs and plugs. Possibly MAF sensor, but what kills me is I think this should be throwing a code no matter which one of these is causing it. So has anyone had something similar?

I have the same problem with my ford edge a guy told me it was my torque converter flap or something but my car drives fine just the stuttering between 40-50mpg.Then I had another person tell me it’s the computer that he had the same problem and he changed his computer and it drove perfect for 4 months then started back doing the same thing. I’m lost if you have figured anything out please let me know and thank you

My 2011 Edge with 165K miles had a very similar issue last fall.  My wife was complaining that during highway driving there would be an occasional shudder/miss on long hills.  I would test drive it and it would run fine.  I told her that it could be caused by so many things..... and that I could fix it, if and when it threw a code! 

It took about a month, but finally....  a code!  Bad coil! Of course it was back on the firewall $@&#%!!!, so I figured it was a good time to replace all 6 coils along with the plugs while I've got it torn down, especially given the mileage. 

Problem solved

In your case, if one coil already failed, aren't they all at their end of life? 

They say "no banana is older than the rest"

Edited by pedro2u
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

so 2 of the 6 CarQuest Coils I replaced last fall have since failed in 4 months.. Advance Auto replaced them under warranty. but what a pain.  I spoke to my local Indy about coil failures, and his experience is he's seeing the same rate with OEM and the aftermarket coils lately

2 hours ago, pedro2u said:

so 2 of the 6 CarQuest Coils I replaced last fall have since failed in 4 months.. Advance Auto replaced them under warranty. but what a pain.  I spoke to my local Indy about coil failures, and his experience is he's seeing the same rate with OEM and the aftermarket coils lately

I like to stock up on them from the junk yard, but they have become about the same price as some mid level new ones. In well over 1 million miles on cars with COPs I have had to replace 2, they went out from a coolant leak that filled spark plug wells and killed them. Otherwise I have a nice assortment of 10-12k mile take offs for vehicles I no longer own, so I only grabbed 3 for my 3.5. My 2000 Grand Marquis still had 7 OEM 21 year old 330,000 miles ones, and a Mustang one from someone that thought they needed bright yellow ones so I bought the set from them. Much better than counterfeit ones off Amazon or eBay or ones with the wrong connectors and splicing or making them work.

I broke the mount on one in my 3.5, and it came with one of the connectors in bad shape, but so far still good, but only at 130k miles.