2019 Ford Edge ST Towing

I am looking at towing with my Ford edge ST.

It has the class 2 towing package with the 2" rec.

Per the OEM's standard:

Max towing capacity: 3500 lbs.

Max tongue capacity 350 lbs.

I need to get wiring and brake controller for the 4 pin to 7 pin so I can control the electric brakes on a camper.

My questions has anyone on here haul a camper before with their edge? if yes, what kind of camper?

I am looking at hauling a camper with a dry weight of 3000 lbs, and I am not adding and fluid and bring a max of 200 lbs of cargo.

The GVWR of the edge is 5700 lbs.

Any helps or details would be great.

Thanks,

Joe

31 minutes ago, enigma-2 said:

Thank you for sending this.  My Ford ST already has a class 2 towing package on with the 4 pin connector.  I need to rewire it with 4 pin to 7 pin so I can use electric brakes on the camper.  I have already bought that kit off amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002Q80GS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

My main concern is towing a 3200 lb camper.  I don't want to exceed my tongue capacity or damage my vehicle. Any help would be great?

Thanks,

Joe

I think the main reason Ford rates the Edge like this is over caution. The main concern is hill towing and large front area. Over heats the tranny. 

If your cautious, not fast take offs from scratch and avoid steep hills, shouldn't be any reason you couldn't exceed 3,500 lbs. somewhat. 3,200 should be safe. 

Just to be safe, follow the towing maintenance schedule for your car. On mine, for towing, I'm required to rotate tires and change oil every 5,000; change transmission fluid every 30,000 and PTU every 60,000 (I'm already changing every 30k anyways).

Unless I drive through Georgia. Then i can only change my oil on days where a full moon occurs on the third Thursday of the month from dealers where the location begins with a "f" or "a". And then, I'm not alliwed to eat or drink while the car's being serviced. (It's late, I'm tired)

12 hours ago, enigma-2 said:

I think the main reason Ford rates the Edge like this is over caution. The main concern is hill towing and large front area. Over heats the tranny. 

If your cautious, not fast take offs from scratch and avoid steep hills, shouldn't be any reason you couldn't exceed 3,500 lbs. somewhat. 3,200 should be safe. 

Just to be safe, follow the towing maintenance schedule for your car. On mine, for towing, I'm required to rotate tires and change oil every 5,000; change transmission fluid every 30,000 and PTU every 60,000 (I'm already changing every 30k anyways).

Unless I drive through Georgia. Then i can only change my oil on days where a full moon occurs on the third Thursday of the month from dealers where the location begins with a "f" or "a". And then, I'm not alliwed to eat or drink while the car's being serviced. (It's late, I'm tired)

Enigma, thank you so much.  Yes on my edge I have completed the general maintenance for oil change and trans fluid.  My edge only have 34 k mile son it. Also I just got new tires roughly a month ago.(265/40/R21).  

I live in Michigan, and traveling roughly 3 hrs  north, and if you know Michigan its pretty flat :).

You have any knowledge of exceeding the tongue capacity any?  

EDGE ST is 350 lbs.  I think I would be 375 lbs?.

Thanks.

Too much weight causes hard steering and from my experience, over steering. 

Normal hitch weight should be between 10% and 15% so 375 is still within the limits. (May push you headlights higher though (think getting flashed).

One thing you could consider is the use a weight distribution hitch, but I don't know of any that are class II. Why don't you call "etrailer" at 800-940-8924 and talk to them. (Experts).

• 4 months later...
On 4/6/2021 at 7:04 PM, jjerisk said:

Thank you for sending this.  My Ford ST already has a class 2 towing package on with the 4 pin connector.  I need to rewire it with 4 pin to 7 pin so I can use electric brakes on the camper.  I have already bought that kit off amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002Q80GS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

My main concern is towing a 3200 lb camper.  I don't want to exceed my tongue capacity or damage my vehicle. Any help would be great?

Thanks,

Joe

So I tow my Can Am Spyder from Arizona to Washington on an open trailer 3 weeks ago and it did just fine. When I get back to  Arizona I have a Kawasaki KRX 1000 waiting for me. It is going to be heavier and I think I will install electric brakes on the trailer. Could you give me a run down on the brake controller you are using and the wiring that you had to do? Thanks Chris

Edge trailer in Wells, Nv.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hey @Snoking. A little late but I use this brake controller towing my camper: Curt Echo Wireless Trailer Brake Controller. Going wireless avoids having to mount a controller inside. There aren't too many places to mount one that's within reach without it looking ugly. Just have to run a power wire from the battery to your 7-pin. I used this kit: Universal Installation Kit for Trailer Brake Controller - 7-Way RV and 4-Way Flat - 10 Gauge Wires. I went 10 gauge because of the long run from the battery.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I resolved the towing issues today. Dealer gave me more than we paid for the ST 15 months ago and 2K off MRSP on this F150. I guy really needs a pickup truck! It has the 12" sync 4 screen, co-pilot 360, 10speed with the 2.7L 325/400 and many other things the Edge did not have including more conformable seats. Quieter and smoother on the road. 

PXL_20210903_223435580.jpg

Edited by Snoking
  • Like 3