Can Instrument Cluster Screens Be Updated?

Hey guys, i was wondering if it is possible to have the screens on the instrument cluster updated on a 2019 Edge to reflect the 2021 Edge model.

I've noticed on the right screen that Ford has added the Fuel Range as a permanent display, which i like. They also removed the time from the bottom right corner, and it looks like that screen accent is now all blue, just as the left screen instead of the colors changing between Entertainment, Navigation and Phone. (See picture attached of the updated info screens)

Im thinking of asking my service advisor if this is possible. Any thoughts?

ehesltikrzjqfj0xd8wr.jpg

It is good that they made some improvement, but was hoping they'd just use the 2016-2019 MKX style cluster. For your question, I highly doubt a dealer would be able to upgrade it. It probably will require flashing the 2021 Firmware on the older cluster which dealers wouldn't/can't do.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, ben senise said:

that cluster is on a 2021 which is Sync 4. from what i understand, you can't upgrade Sync 3 to Sync 4.

i doubt it but maybe Ford could release an update to Sync 3 that includes that feature.

Or, Ford might simply hold out on doing so, to convince consumers to 'upgrade' their cars. A shame really. But... 

The cluster is the biggest disappoint I have with our 2020 ST. Their engineers should be sent out to rent FCA products with their 8.4" uconnect and 7" EVIC (AKA cluster) that one can taylor to their likely. On the RAM we just sold I had to virtual gauges, one from boost and one for exhaust brake HP. Had a whole list of things I could put their like transmission temps etc. There was an area in the four corners where you could put things. Sample attached. The boost and tranny temps are virtual gauges. When in Nav on the center stack was running then a lane selection color mini map/drawing would show up on this display pictured when switch from one interstate to another.  

Dash.jpg

46 minutes ago, Snoking said:

The cluster is the biggest disappoint I have with our 2020 ST. Their engineers should be sent out to rent FCA products with their 8.4" uconnect and 7" EVIC (AKA cluster) that one can taylor to their likely. On the RAM we just sold I had to virtual gauges, one from boost and one for exhaust brake HP. Had a whole list of things I could put their like transmission temps etc. There was an area in the four corners where you could put things. Sample attached. The boost and tranny temps are virtual gauges. When in Nav on the center stack was running then a lane selection color mini map/drawing would show up on this display pictured when switch from one interstate to another. 

Ford already does that to maintain their competitive edge over FCA products.

Edited by handfiler

20 hours ago, omar302 said:

It is good that they made some improvement, but was hoping they'd just use the 2016-2019 MKX style cluster. For your question, I highly doubt a dealer would be able to upgrade it. It probably will require flashing the 2021 Firmware on the older cluster which dealers wouldn't/can't do.

I agree, Ford should have had the MKX style cluster in the Edge's, they look a little better than what we have now.

12 hours ago, ben senise said:

that cluster is on a 2021 which is Sync 4. from what i understand, you can't upgrade Sync 3 to Sync 4.

i doubt it but maybe Ford could release an update to Sync 3 that includes that feature.

I am aware that Sync 4 comes with the 2021, but i would think that the cluster and infotainment system don't correlate in terms of displaying the fuel range since the only thing you can control from the right cluster display is the radio. Most of the vehicle information is done from the left, barely anything from the infortainment

Hello all. I am kind of new here, but wanted to share this with anyone who may be interested. I reached out to Robert Ingle (through FaceBook) as he has done these MKX swaps for many many Fusions. I was so impressed with his work, that I reached out to him to help me with one for my 2016 Edge Sport. Here is what I received. The cluster was out of a 2016 MKX that only had .5 miles on the odometer as it was totaled by hail damage before it ever left the dealership. He was able to source the mask and cluster as well as "reverse engineer" the firmware and graphics pack to work with my car. All I did was send him my VIN and the current mileage, he did the rest. Literally plug and play, EVERYTHING (adaptive cruise, lane keep, etc) worked as it should and I could not be happier. I'll admit that I dropped about $700 all in, but he was even able to get the Ford Performance and Edge graphics installed. Some of my costs were for the software engineering, but now that he has that part figured out, they may not cost quite as much. He mentioned having a few masks for our cars left if anyone is interested in a true "turn-key" solution to adding an awesome IPC upgrade If interested, you should search to him on Facebook under his name.

IMG_8331_a.jpg

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, niceonept said:

Thanks. That's interesting. I assumed all Edges had the same cluster as this, in my 2018 ST-Line.

The Edge in Europe is more premium than in the US. You also get leather wrapped dashboard & carpeted cargo area (sides). For the US, people wanting a more premium 2-row crossover can go for the Lincoln MKX which is not offered in Europe. The only (and main) thing better in the US Edge is the 2.7 EcoBoost engine ?.

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, omar302 said:

The Edge in Europe is more premium than in the US. You also get leather wrapped dashboard & carpeted cargo area (sides). For the US, people wanting a more premium 2-row crossover can go for the Lincoln MKX which is not offered in Europe. The only (and main) thing better in the US Edge is the 2.7 EcoBoost engine ?.

Thanks. I didn't realise that. I was under the impression US cars were always higher spec than ours!

Does anyone have a link to a download of the US sales brochure for the 2015-19 Edge equivalent to this one from the UK?

Ford Edge UK late 2017.pdf

8 minutes ago, niceonept said:

Thanks. I didn't realise that. I was under the impression US cars were always higher spec than ours!

Does anyone have a link to a download of the US sales brochure for the 2015-19 Edge equivalent to this one from the UK?

Ford Edge UK late 2017.pdf

2017 Edge Brochure attached. 2019 is different because of the facelift.

Ford Edge US 2017.pdf

• Thanks 1