Cold Air Intake Edge ST & Sport 2.7EB

Xtra

Just because there has been a set back I am still moving forward in hopes that some will be able to obtain the lid on their own, or I find another source or way . .

This is the patch that will relocate the snorkel input into the air box.  

IMG_8186.JPG

This shows the gasket installed and the patch is almost ready to attach permanently.  

IMG_8192.JPG

Edited by Xtra
  • Like 2

Thought I would give a step by step to make this happen. Do the list in order, do not order the filter first, make sure you have the Top Half Lid first . 

1. Call Cobb and get the top half or lid and gasket. You only need the lid and gasket from this kit that Cobb offers. Ask for a replacement lid for your F150 or Raptor. 

The lid is from one of any of these kits, pick one that fits "your truck".  Remember you have this kit installed and need a replacement lid and gasket. Costs around $55

A.  https://www.cobbtuning.com/products/air-induction/ford-intake-system-f-150-ecoboost-raptor-limited-3-5l      ... Raptor with 3.5L EB

B,  https://www.cobbtuning.com/products/air-induction/ford-intake-system-f-150-2-7l-ecoboost-2018-2020           ... F150 with 2.7L EB

2. Once you have the lid and gasket go online at Cobb and order a filter. 

The filter can be ordered on line , you don't have to talk to anyone. The filters available in wet or dry  it costs around $65 + tax. 

A. Dry air filter, disposable will not contaminate sensors  :

https://www.cobbtuning.com/products/air-induction/ford-air-filter-dry-media-f-150-ecoboost-raptor-limited-3-5l-2-7l

B. Oiled Air filter washable Better air flow than the dry filter,

https://www.cobbtuning.com/products/air-induction/ford-intake-replacement-filter-f-150-ecoboost-raptor-limited-3-5l-2-7l

C. Optional Air filter sock fits both dry and wet filter

https://www.cobbtuning.com/products/air-induction/ford-intake-air-filter-sock-f-150-ecoboost-raptor-limited-3-5l-2-7l

3. Contact me ( PM ) and I will build you the bottom half and supply everything you need to finish the Air Box once you have the lid and gasket. I will do all the work except installing the sensor. I will supply the sensor and the mount,  but you will have to drill a hole in the lid and mount the sensor. . I will include instructions, and it is easy to do. 

** I don't have a locked in price yet on the kit but look for it to be around $420 + shipping. 

Edited by Xtra
  • Like 2

Now that the design is settled I decided to take a new bottom half and convert it into the first real non prototype V3 bottom half. Here is how I did it. 

This is the OEM bottom half that I start with. It has an appointment with my hand held air saw. 

IMG_8225.JPG

The flange and bolt standoff for the snorkel need to be removed so there is a flat surface to work with.

IMG_8229.JPG

Cut off the flange and still needs some finish work, and the hole needs to be modified to fit the Edge snorkel .

IMG_8232.JPG

This is the finished side ready for the snorkel adaptor plate. 

IMG_8243.JPG

Adaptor plate is ready to mount.then this side is done. 

IMG_8247.JPG

Edited by Xtra
  • Like 2

The next step is to cut off this big mounting flang , it is not needed and takes up valuable space in the engine compartment.  

IMG_8252.JPG

Here the flange is cut off.

IMG_8256.JPG

This is the finished side all cleaned up. No trace of that huge mounting flange.

IMG_8261.JPG

Edited by Xtra
  • Like 3

Now that all the parts have been cut and trimmed, I did a test fit and added a bolt to hold the snorkel in place.

It is just taped together, and I am still waiting on the patch to be molded. I also need a heat gun to fold a flap on the snorkel adaptor plate. You can see the part of the adaptor plate that needs bending, it is sticking out under the bolt on the snorkel, it needs to wrap under the bottom edge. Right now I am using a cad plated nut as a spacer. The bolt may not even be necessary as the snorkel is a press fit into the gasket. If I decide to keep the bolt I will install a proper spacer on future V3s.  

V3 SNORKEL BOLT.JPG

This is the inside of the bottom half  with the snorkel bolt installed. You can also see that the patch is in place and how it fits. The patch is the damaged one that is just being used for this test fitting. 

Everything is coming along and I need the new patch to be molded. When I get the patch and the heat gun It will  be ready for final assembly. Once this First V3 is complete and installed, I will dyno test to see how much it helps.  I have not given up,  and will continue to work towards creating a high flow Air Box and filter system for the Edge platform. If the dyno results are positive, the intake air temp drops, and there are no problems found when road testing.  I will to look into designing and casting my own lid. Something that would be compatible with My Adaptor and My Bottom Half ... My Lid   LOL sounds like the pillow dude.  

INSIDE V3 BOTTOM HALF.JPG

Edited by Xtra
  • Like 2

I finally got the heat gun and It works great, I can now heat up the ABS and bend it to shape. 

Harbor Freight to the rescue. I like that this heat gun sits up and has a cool down mode. 

IMG_8321.JPG

The heat gun allowed me to bend the tab on the snorkel plate to help seal and attach it. 

IMG_8327.JPG

The snorkel plate is now permanently attached to the bottom half with rivets. I used black RTV to create a gasket and air tight seal. That RTV made quite a mess, but it will never be seen. Once the bottom half is fully assembled it will be wrapped with a heat shield to help protect it from excessive engine compartment temps. 

IMG_8329.JPG

Edited by Xtra
  • Like 2

All that is needed is for the patch to be molded and installed then the bottom half will be ready for the heat shield. Getting very close, permanently installing the snorkel plate was a major milestone. For those of you that are still following the bottom half is from a 2018 to 2020 F150 EB. 

Edited by Xtra
  • Like 1

The OEM mounts need to be trimmed in order for the air box to sit low enough for the snorkel to line up.

IMG_8334.JPG

Here are the trimmed mounts, I place tape over the holes and fill them up from the backside with that same messy black RTV. 

IMG_8336.JPG

Edited by Xtra
  • Like 2

After trimming the mounts I bolted on the snorkel and did test fit. Everything lines up and fits as designed. This proves the templet for the snorkel patch is good and ready to go.

IMG_8339.JPG

This shows where the patch goes, and what it covers. .  

IMG_8341.JPG

Edited by Xtra
  • Like 4

The heat shield arrived today. It will wrap the entire bottom half of the air box to help insulate the incoming air charge form that oven called the engine bay. I got 4 sq. ft.  two 1 ft

X 2 ft  pieces, I hope that is enough to do the job. 

IMG_8397.JPG                  IMG_8398.JPG

Edited by Xtra
  • Like 1

Decided to insulate the snorkel today, even one degree drop of intake charge helps.  To insulate the snorkel it took the best part of a 1X 2 ft sheet , because I did this, I ordered up another 2 packages of insulation to guarantee there was enough for the bottom half, so far I have ordered  4 packages and used one. This stick on insulation forms very well to curves, but it still took several pieces to cover the snorkel. 

SNORKEL FRONT.JPG

SNORKEL BACK.JPG

• Like 2

Just received the new patch from the plastic shop. Adding the wood around the base did the trick and the mold is now producing good parts. 

IMG_8550.JPG

All that is needed is to cut out the part and attach it to the bottom half with black RTV and rivets. I am ordering 5 of these to get started. 

IMG_8548.JPG

Edited by Xtra
  • Like 3