2019 Edge ST ptu fluid service

kruzr1

• 2 years later...
On 6/17/2023 at 1:41 PM, ST Road Runner said:

My 2019 Edge ST has two rubber caps as highlighted by the 2 red arrows.  Are these where a cooling unit would connect?  Irritating that 2018s have a drain plug and for 2019 they dropped it.  

Is this a US spec edge? My 2019 has the additional cooling for the PTU. All marketing material listed it as a liquid cooled PTU for the ST in my region (Newengland)

Edited by 1004ron

Yes, that is a PTU cooler with the ports plugged. My 2020 ST has a simple plug that was installed rather than the capped cooler. It appears that your Edge was built at some time during the transition from cooled to non cooled PTU's in Edge ST's

This is what the cooler looks like: https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=11176489&cc=3444713&pt=2088&jsn=565

Read this link for my experiences, Ford diagrams and part numbers: 

https://www.fordedgeforum.com/topic/31746-2020-edge-st-ptu-fluid-drain-fill/

Edited by CTEdgeST
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Fingernip - Yes the picture is from a U.S. Edge.

CTEdgeSt - Perfect.  Thank you for the picture of the cooler at Rockauto and the other post detailing your drain and fill!

Looks like I just need to purchase the purchase the cooler plug kit (K2GZ-7A010-M), remove the cooler, let her drain and then replace with the cooler plug kit.

Super write-up and pics on your post.  Thanks for sharing!

Is the PTU fill plug a TP-50 torx bit

No, it is HW8 metric hex.

I don't know how long the cooler assembly is so I would be slightly concerned that it might run into the cross brace located directly behind it before it clears the PTU housing.

You can probably make a good estimation by measuring the length of the bulge for the cooler on the housing and comparing that to the distance from the face of the cooler boss on the PTU to the brace. 

2020_Edge_ST_PTU_Comp.jpg

When I was working with an independent shop on this - their tech had worked on these at the dealership and had said that removing the cooler would involve taking the cross member out - but that may have involved other obstructions like the lines that are supposed to be attached to your Edge, but are not.  From what I saw on the cooler I looked at - it appears to run most of the length of that shape on the case.  It is infuriating that these things don't have drain plugs - what a screw up.

The other problem with these PTUs is straight up the volume of fluid - there just isn't enough of it.

ST Road Runner,  I guess you have at least 4 options:

1) The cooler comes out with no issue.  Even if  you can't remove it by pulling it straight back, you might be able to turn it so that the tubes move into the open space to the left and above the cooler mounting bore. If so, the cooler may clear the cross brace.

2) Even if the cooler can't be removed due to interference with the cross brace, it will still come out far enough to allow you to drain the fluid and then put the cooler back in place.

3) Move the cross brace to allow removal of the cooler

4) Replace the cooler with the plug like mine after forcing the cooler out without moving the brace.

Good luck, let us know how it went once you have completed the drain and refill.

Inside cooler plug boss.jpg

Edited by CTEdgeST

Thanks CTEdge! 

Going to get with a friend that has a lift and determine the best course of action to remove the cooler.  My preference will be to replace with the cooler plug cover, since it has a magnet to help catch the metal shavings and should make future drain much easier.  Hope to get this figured out over the next couple weeks and will report back.

• 4 weeks later...

Ended up working with a friend at my local NAPA service center.  Unfortunately the cooler could not be removed due to interference with the cross brace, but they were able to get it out far enough to drain the fluid and then refill at the fill plug.  I have 56K mostly gentle miles on my ST.  The oil was captured in a container for inspection and they noted it came out looking pretty good with a small amount of metal filings.  Total charge $152.  Thanks to all for your input!

• Like 1