Dyno Tune Choices

Markham12

Hi again,

I have decided to dyno tune my ford edge after a year of problems with misfires and no clear answer with any place I take it in the Chicago area. Nobody around here is comfortable dyno tuning a ford edge so I am looking at two options. Livernois and National Speed in VA. I have talked to both and am on the list for Aug or Sept. My question is which one would you go with if you were going to pick one? Unfortunately remote tuning just didn't cut it for me. I tried ZFG and Unleashed and am done datalogging and replacing plugs every two weeks at $350 a pop with black fouled out plugs. My gut tells me that National Speed is my better option after speaking with them. I told them whatever is needed including replacing the cats or adding downpipes/custom exhaust? I am done with misfires and black plugs. What do you guys recommend? Who is better for installing and getting everything out of an ecoboost?

Thanks

Edited by Markham12
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

So many replies I don't know where to begin. ? Anyway I dropped it off at National Speed in Richmond last weekend. It was supposed to be dyno tuned today, but apparently something went wrong. They never called me back today after getting it ready for the dyno. I drove down on the stock tune slowly. They called me today after replacing the plugs before the dyno and said it runs great/ fine on the stock tune after test driving it.  I don't need to tune. lol.  Yes, I drove 900 miles to change the spark plugs. Hopefully the dyno is what it needs to solve all the problems. I am not bringing it home until it runs fine tuned. Good luck to everyone tuning their vehicle.

• Like 1

Can anybody give me input? My dyno tune went well at national speed. The numbers were respectable 373 whp and 405 tq on 93 tune. Problem is it misfires with the paddle shifters. What is puzzling to me is I gave the vehicle to them with the stock tune and modified comp turbos. They told me on the dyno showed it running rich with the modified comp turbos. Why would this be with bigger turbos on the stock tune? They said it was pegged lower than their gauge could go at 10 Afr. They tuned it and said they leaned  it out to 12 Afr. How can bigger turbos run rich? 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Markham12 said:

My dyno tune went well at national speed. The numbers were respectable 373 whp and 405 tq on 93 tune.They tuned it and said they leaned  it out to 12 Afr. 

My car had similar numbers with 361.6 WHP and 416.3 TQ with a 91 tune. The air/ fuel ratio is 12-1

• Like 1

On 9/23/2021 at 11:34 AM, Cookiemonster117 said:

Where did you pick up turbos from? Theres a good food ecoboost tuner down here in FL, but might be a hike for you. I plan on taking it there once i finish installing some parts. Whats the point of changing the theromstat?

What Ecoboost tuner are you using down here in Florida? I'm located in Tampa. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, bryantgbell said:

What Ecoboost tuner are you using down here in Florida? I'm located in Tampa. 

Palm Beach Dyno. Haven't gone there yet but they mainly do ecoboost. Alot of mustangs, f150, explorers. I believe they did 1 edge so far. I'm waiting for parts and then i have to install them, then going to get it dynoed tuned. They have a single roller, but they have a partner shop next door they use for awd. Let me know if you ever go.

• Like 1

On 7/10/2021 at 6:24 PM, Markham12 said:

Hi again,

I have decided to dyno tune my ford edge after a year of problems with misfires and no clear answer with any place I take it in the Chicago area. Nobody around here is comfortable dyno tuning a ford edge so I am looking at two options. Livernois and National Speed in VA. I have talked to both and am on the list for Aug or Sept. My question is which one would you go with if you were going to pick one? Unfortunately remote tuning just didn't cut it for me. I tried ZFG and Unleashed and am done datalogging and replacing plugs every two weeks at $350 a pop with black fouled out plugs. My gut tells me that National Speed is my better option after speaking with them. I told them whatever is needed including replacing the cats or adding downpipes/custom exhaust? I am done with misfires and black plugs. What do you guys recommend? Who is better for installing and getting everything out of an ecoboost?

Thanks

ZFG will be hands down one of the best options for the edge with larger than stock turbos.  Datalogging is part of the tuning process and is needed in order to adjust the over 2000tables the car references in daily driving.  if you have fowled plugs its due to fueling issues which after about 5-10 revisions should be dealt with.  

Plugs cost no more than 75~90 bucks with shipping, who is charging you 350.00 to change them?

National speed is our dyno sponsor and is a fantastic place to get tuned even though they have limited knowledge on the ecoboost 14G371 ECM logic.  Its a very complex and not straight forward logic to tune and will usually render low numbers if the user/tuner is not familiar.

On 9/16/2021 at 7:16 PM, Markham12 said:

So many replies I don't know where to begin. ? Anyway I dropped it off at National Speed in Richmond last weekend. It was supposed to be dyno tuned today, but apparently something went wrong. They never called me back today after getting it ready for the dyno. I drove down on the stock tune slowly. They called me today after replacing the plugs before the dyno and said it runs great/ fine on the stock tune after test driving it.  I don't need to tune. lol.  Yes, I drove 900 miles to change the spark plugs. Hopefully the dyno is what it needs to solve all the problems. I am not bringing it home until it runs fine tuned. Good luck to everyone tuning their vehicle.

if changing plugs makes that much a difference most likely the gap and heat range was previously incorrect.

On 9/22/2021 at 9:06 PM, Markham12 said:

Can anybody give me input? My dyno tune went well at national speed. The numbers were respectable 373 whp and 405 tq on 93 tune. Problem is it misfires with the paddle shifters. What is puzzling to me is I gave the vehicle to them with the stock tune and modified comp turbos. They told me on the dyno showed it running rich with the modified comp turbos. Why would this be with bigger turbos on the stock tune? They said it was pegged lower than their gauge could go at 10 Afr. They tuned it and said they leaned  it out to 12 Afr. How can bigger turbos run rich? 

In order to judge these numbers we do need to know a comprehensive list of engine mods and parts added.  these seem low with aftermarket turbos on 93.  you should have seen 450+.  

Larger compressor turbos can and will cause pressure increase and flow increase causing the computer to add more fuel.  This is not an uncommon side affect, and one that can be hard to manage with the fomoco 14G371 logic

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Cookiemonster117 said:

Palm Beach Dyno. Haven't gone there yet but they mainly do ecoboost. Alot of mustangs, f150, explorers. I believe they did 1 edge so far. I'm waiting for parts and then i have to install them, then going to get it dynoed tuned. They have a single roller, but they have a partner shop next door they use for awd. Let me know if you ever go.

PBD is okay with fusions and edges.  Recommended tuners for these are ZFG, Tuned by James, and Unleashed.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Cookiemonster117 said:

I actually reached out to them and they weren't interested in the custom tuning for my Edge! 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/27/2021 at 10:14 AM, Special_K said:

ZFG will be hands down one of the best options for the edge with larger than stock turbos.  Datalogging is part of the tuning process and is needed in order to adjust the over 2000tables the car references in daily driving.  if you have fowled plugs its due to fueling issues which after about 5-10 revisions should be dealt with.  

Plugs cost no more than 75~90 bucks with shipping, who is charging you 350.00 to change them?

National speed is our dyno sponsor and is a fantastic place to get tuned even though they have limited knowledge on the ecoboost 14G371 ECM logic.  Its a very complex and not straight forward logic to tune and will usually render low numbers if the user/tuner is not familiar.

if changing plugs makes that much a difference most likely the gap and heat range was previously incorrect.

In order to judge these numbers we do need to know a comprehensive list of engine mods and parts added.  these seem low with aftermarket turbos on 93.  you should have seen 450+.  

Larger compressor turbos can and will cause pressure increase and flow increase causing the computer to add more fuel.  This is not an uncommon side affect, and one that can be hard to manage with the fomoco 14G371 logic

Thanks for the response. I thought 373 whp was probably normal.  I have modified comp technology turbos, ultra performance intercooler, cold side pipe, turbo smart bov, catch can, kn filter, 170 thermostat, motor mount. 450 hp at the crank? Surely not at the wheels with just upgraded compressor wheels. That would be insane. ? 

The zfg racing 93 tune has more power.  I can feel the difference easily. But I wanted to solve the misfires which is why I drove to national speed. National speed told me it was a conservative dyno tune. Three people test drove it and said no problems were found. I drove it home with no problems. But after a few days the misfires are back again at wot. They told me to gap the plugs down or they would send me a tune with less boost. I don't want a slower tune. A problem would have shown on the dyno right? My only regret is not choosing a turbo rebuilder who had checked the wastegates. Comp turbo said they did not/would not adjust the wastegates. Could it be that the stock wastegates are not adjusted properly or one is broken/not sealing properly? I don't hear wastegate rattle. Would national speed have caught a waste gate issue?

I will say it has a lot more lag than the stock turbos, which makes takeoffs feel slow.  I tested the 0-60 with the modified turbos on the stock tune and best I could do was 6.1 seconds. There is just so much lag even with brake boosting on these turbos.  I could do 5.8 on the stock turbos with stock tune consistently. Brake boosting on the stock turbos eliminated the lag and the tires would loose traction for a bit. Not now. 

I never had a single misfire while tuned with the stock turbos in a year and a half. But I wanted abit more power. Hmmm. Which leads me to think something isn't right with the turbos. Spent enough for now. Oh well. 

Thanks

Edited by Markham12
Added

46 minutes ago, Markham12 said:

Thanks for the response. I thought 373 whp was probably normal.  I have modified comp technology turbos, ultra performance intercooler, cold side pipe, turbo smart bov, catch can, kn filter, 170 thermostat, motor mount. 450 hp at the crank? Surely not at the wheels with just upgraded compressor wheels. That would be insane. ?  The zfg racing tune has more torque. I can feel the difference easily. But I wanted to solve the misfires which is why I drove to national speed. National speed told me it was a conservative dyno tune. Three people test drove it and said no problems were found. I drove it home with no problems. But after a few days the misfires are back again at wot. They told me to gap the plugs down or they would send me a tune with less boost. I don't want a slower tune. A problem would have shown on the dyno right? My only regret is not choosing a turbo rebuilder who had checked the wastegates. Comp turbo said they did not touch the wastegates. Could it be that the stock wastegates are not adjusted properly or one is broken/not sealing properly? I don't hear wastegate rattle. Would national speed have caught a waste gate issue? I will say it has more lag than the stock turbos, which I think makes takeoffs feel slow.  I tested the 0-60 with the modified turbos on the stock tune and got 6.1. I could do 5.8 on the stock turbos with stock tune consistently. I never had a single misfire while tuned with the stock turbos in a year and a half. But I wanted abit more power. Hmmm. Which leads me to think something isn't right with the turbos. Spent enough for now. Oh well. 

Thanks

I am not into tuning, came across this post from the Fusion Sport Forums, the OP seems to have went through a lot to get his tune & misfires sorted out. Maybe he can help you out seeing how the Edge Sport is closely related to the Fusion Sport.

• Like 3

On 10/6/2021 at 12:29 PM, omar302 said:

I am not into tuning, came across this post from the Fusion Sport Forums, the OP seems to have went through a lot to get his tune & misfires sorted out. Maybe he can help you out seeing how the Edge Sport is closely related to the Fusion Sport.

Thanks. I will bug them over there for awhile if they allow me with my Ford edge.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Hey. I hope your tuning went well. My turbos were comp turbo technology upgrades. I never could solve the misfire and cel light on full throttle runs. I know it had to related to the upgraded turbos. I finally got tired of things not working as intended. I traded in my Edge in December.