Just blew up my 2017 2.0

ssc

Hi all,  Last Saturday I did an intake valve cleaning on my 64,000 mile 2017 2.0 EcoBoost Edge.  I have done this 15,000 miles ago also. After I let it heat soak for the hour as per the instructions I started it to take it for the highway drive as recommended. I drove about 3/4 of a mile and heard a very tinny rattle, then no power, MIL light on then flashing, misfire and low oil pressure codes,  very rough running and smoke.

After beginning diagnosis I found: oil covering top of engine, #2 spark plug ground strap broken off (not burned), cylinder compression # 1 cyl 195, # 2 200 psi, #3 & 4 0 psi wet and dry. Leak down test indicating compression getting past the rings. After turbo inlet tube was removed and borescope inserted to the compressor wheel, NO fins could be seen, only score marks in the compressor side housing. Engine is coming out and further details pending.

Has anyone else ever heard of issues after intake valve cleaning? Thanks 

@ssc sorry to hear about your misfortune.

It sounds like you believe its the intake cleaning that caused the failure - could you tell us what product you used and the procedure, and what about it you think caused the problem.

I don't recall anyone else posting an experience like this.

I've got 70K miles on my 2017 ecoboost and haven't seen the need to do any such intake cleaning.

Edited by 1004ron

What's your theory on the cause?

No harm listing the product used and how it was used without suggesting it was the cause - that would have some benefit to those that may be considering this type of cleaning, and whether they really need to do such cleaning.

Edit: I notice you have "CRC" in the thread tags.

Edited by 1004ron

12 minutes ago, ssc said:

I don't want to name any brands without proof of cause. The first cleaning increased response and .8 mpg

The thread tag lists it as CRC.

With so many variables I doubt that a motorist could accurately determine that the CRC intake & Turbo cleaner resulted in 0.8 mpg improvement - you'd need lab conditions for that.

https://www.amazon.com/CRC-05319-Intake-Valve-Cleaner/dp/B00PHNQKR2

Edited by 1004ron
  • Like 3

Preliminary theory before teardown is a large piece of carbon broke loose, entered the cylinder and out the exhaust valve to the turbine side of the turbo. Damaging the turbine wheel, seals,shaft and compressor wheel. I'm still not sure of the damage to cylinders 3 and 4

On 8/14/2021 at 8:52 PM, ssc said:

I don't want to name any brands without proof of cause. The first cleaning increased response and .8 mpg

0.8 mpg is nothing. it can simply be different fuel, driving style, ambient temperature,...etc.

For the name/brand, I don't remember that there is any Ford "approved" intake cleaning brand/method. So if the brand you used claimed to be "approved", they should be called out to warn others. 

Edited by 1004ron
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...