Missing Cabin Air Filter Screws

Two retaining screws are called out in the 2018 Edge Workshop Manual, but no fastener size nor torque spec is provided...

2018 Edge Cabin Air Filter Cover w retaining screws -Workshop Manual CAD Image.jpg

Cabin Air Filter Removal and Installation - 2018 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf (download link)

I checked my Gen-1 2015 MKX, but its cabin filter cover uses a spring-action plastic tab as a retainer, instead of screws.

Buying a pair each of #4, #6, and #8, by half-inch long, phillips-head sheet metal screws from your local hardware store's fastener drawers will likely get the job done, judging by this YouTube video screen capture...

YouTube Video Screen Shot - 2018 Edge Cabin Air Filter.jpg

Good luck!

Edited by Haz
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, enigma-2 said:

I was talking to a fellow on another forum and he said they ALL come without screws. The screw holes are provided for screws should the tabs on the side break off. He didn't know what the thread or size was however. 

Wouldn't it make more sense to just design a more robust clip :idea:

Link to past Forum discussion on Gen-2 Cabin Air Filter Cover tabs/screws.

I have a new-found appreciation for the Gen-1 cover, which is effectively a slab of plastic with a large tab that engages into a slot in the housing on the passenger side, and uses a molded-in latching tab for retention on the driver side...

GEN-1 2015 Edge-MKX Cabin Air Filter Cover.jpg

GEN-1 2015 Edge-MKX Cabin Air Filter Cover - YT.jpg

Good luck!

Edited by Haz

1 hour ago, Haz said:

Link to past Forum discussion on Gen-2 Cabin Air Filter Cover tabs/screws.

I have a new-found appreciation for the Gen-1 cover, which is effectively a slab of plastic with a large tab that engages into a slot in the housing on the passenger side, and uses a molded-in latching tab for retention on the driver side...

GEN-1 2015 Edge-MKX Cabin Air Filter Cover.jpg

GEN-1 2015 Edge-MKX Cabin Air Filter Cover - YT.jpg

Good luck!

Just goes to show you.....newer isn't always better 

I've never seen the need for those screws. I understand the OP says his tabs are broken, maybe he should get a new cover. I feel the tabs alone are sufficient.

My wife has a Honda and my daughter has a Toyota. Both use a similar cover with tabs, but no screws. This is one time I think Ford over-engineered the design.

14 hours ago, normkol said:

I've never seen the need for those screws. I understand the OP says his tabs are broken, maybe he should get a new cover. 

Isn't the gen 2 covers molded to the housing? (Not sold separately).

And aren't the tabs on the housing and not the cover?

(I have a gen 1 and only seen a gen 2 once).

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...