My 2015 AWD  Ford Edge sport 2.7l v6  is rated to tow only 2000lbs with the 20" rims being the reason it is not 3500 like other edges.   If I change my rims to a smaller size not normally offered on the sport, will I be able to increase my towing capacity or is there more to it? I am wondering if there is a gear ratio aspect as well because the only thing that is referenced in the towing chart footnotes  is the rim size.

The 20" wheels are not the reason. Other models can also come with 20" wheels and higher tow rating rating. The 2019+ Edge ST with the same motor and same size wheels (20" or 21") comes standard with 3,500 lbs tow rating. As far as I know, there is no official reason on why the 2015-2018 Edge Sport was limited to 2,000 lbs tow rating only. It might be a marketing thing, or an actual physical limitation.

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, MLTEdge said:

Never understood why the Edge with the v6 turbo and factory tow package only tows 3500lbs. With the power, braking, larger radiator, and the ST having A larger tranny cooler with AWD, makes no sense with other similar subs like KIA towing much more with similar package.

Lots of things affect towing capacity including tires.