Suggestions on Looking Deeper into a New Purchase

billycar

Recently purchased a 2015 Ford Edge Titanium with good Carfax records.

126000 miles

Shows kept up well on servicing, owned in Virginia, and mostly driven in the area.

Last Ford Dealership/Shop where it was Serviced for scheduled servicing, also said it was a well kept up car.

Has Paper Manual and paperworks in original Apple pouch.

With my Used Car Dealer, I have a 30 day promise "We'll fix anything you find wrong with it". They also give a Powertrain Warranty 3 months/3000 miles ...

I also purchased an 18 month / 18000 mile extended warranty from "AVP - Assured Vehicle Protection", and of course wondering about them, too

What testing do you suggest to find any fixable issues?

Prior to purchase, I took it to my mechanic (non Ford shop) and we looked it over underneath and down into the engine. On the surface it looks great. Drives remarkably smooth, and the Dealer Mechanic went on a test drive with me as well.

No issues reported in the Carfax, with one minor accident on passenger side, undetectable.

Thanks for any suggestions.

30 days and the clock is ticking ... lol

IMG_20220221_181504945~2.jpg

Edited by billycar
minor spelling, punctuation

I paid $100 on my MKX for an inspection (a few years ago). Worth every penny. 

You could also consider purchasing an extended warranty inasmuch as your getting a full Ford inspection. (Can purchase the warranty online, or print out a quote and take to dealer to match. Also ask for waver of $100 deductible if all service done at this dealer).

• Like 2

not sure an inspection is worth it unless they will certify the vehicle for warranty.  the inspection is just an entry into the warranty process. it will not uncover everything that is/could go wrong in the near OR long term.

i would recommend looking into the Ford Protect premiumcare coverage if you intend to keep the vehicle for a while.

Flood, Zeigler, and Lombard are among the top online favorites.

start here ... https://www.lombardfordwarrantys.com

• Like 1

I have a "Used Car Inspection" scheduled for next Wednesday, $150 at local Ford Dealership's Quicklane.

Same inspection they use to Certify their Used Vehicles (170 Multi Point Inspection?) at that location.

One multi-brand Ford Dealership, 45 minutes away, is offering an extensive sounding 3 YR / 36000 miles, requiring their Used Car Inspection, $100 Deductible

Currently down to $3200, includes the Inspection. Believe it requires me to have it serviced there. (~$88/month)

Where I purchased my Edge, sold me a $2700 "AVP" Warranty, 18 months / 18000 miles, $100 Deductible. (~$150/month)

Seems extensive, but maybe not as much as the one above. Cancellable anytime.

AVP is the "paper pusher" and has 2 bad comments about their skills on BBB.

Staff at the Dealership says it is owned by the Dealership Owner, and has a good reputation of payments

3 hours ago, WWWPerfA_ZN0W said:

... the Ford Protect premiumcare coverage if you intend to keep the vehicle for a while.

Is that available for Used Ford Vehicles bought elsewhere?

Continuing my search online over the weekend.

Thanks!

Edited by billycar

i know the ford protect plan is available online for owners in the USA. other countries have to jump hoops, if available at other than the dealer. but yes, it does not matter where you bought it, just that it should pass inspection to qualify for the plan, typically $100 or so. you will see it all when you get a quote at the lombard site.

not worth having any other plan.  even when dealers offer "lifetime" warranties of their own, they generally are not as good as Ford's. just like mfrs that offer lifetime warranty on parts, but their parts dont work as well as ford's with the 2 yr/unlimited warranty, lol.

if you can get a refund on the AVP plan and apply that to a Ford plan, i think it would be worth it.  ford warranties have served me well over the years.

max mileage you can get coverage for is 24K or so on your ride thru ford unfortunately. they have a rather hard limit right around 150k miles. how long would it take you to reach that mileage determines the exact length you sign up for.

do you have the 3.5 or 2.0 engine in it? 3.5 should be fine with regular fluid maintenance.

seems to well past the mileage most 2.0s of this gen let loose at, but ... check label on right side of valve cover near pass strut tower for which plant and what year the engine belongs to.

These plans from the LombardFordWarrantys site were presented ... Choosing $50 Deductible

Premium and Extra Care excluded.

(see diagram)

I have the 3.5L

I'll add the info from the ...

1 hour ago, WWWPerfA_ZN0W said:

label on right side of valve cover near pass strut tower for which plant and what year the engine belongs to

tomorrow, when the sun comes back up and I find a diagram of said parts.

LoL

I can get a refund on the AVP Plan.

18000 < 24000 < 36000

AVP <<< FORD <<< Assurance (?) from an employee at a Ford Dealership

Onward!

1689973759_ScreenShot2022-02-25at9_18_15PM.thumb.png.3d121d306bbfe3e20faead531a9a1dd7.png

Print out the internet offer and have your local dealer match it. Then tell him you'll sign if he will give you $0 deductible if you agree to have all your service done there ($100 is done at any other Ford dealer). I used the inspection they did at a The Works oil change to qualify on the latest warranty.

• Like 1

Got a Discount in my email, so I will print this and take it to Apple Ford Lynchburg and see what they can do, to match, asking for waiving the Deductible if I bring all my Service there.

Will probably need the Inspection I have scheduled on Wednesday for $150, even though LombardyFord requires one at $99.

I also want this to possibly find any existing issues.  The Used Car Dealer (I just bought it from), said they will fix anything (mechanical) within 30 Days of Purchase. This should also meet ESP criteria for Used Vehicles.

Onward ... will keep you informed of my progress (helpful to me).

ThankYou

Screen Shot 2022-02-26 at 7.55.16 AM.png

I decided on the FORD BaseCare ESP sold by Lombard.

$50 Deductible since it only costs $70 more overall.

Relatively happy with a 2 year / 24,000 mile FORD ESP.

Will get my Used Car Evaluation at local FORD's Quicklane still, for the $150 charge,

and have anything mechanical repaired under my Dealer's 30 Day Promise.

Will save about $(2630+69.69Tax - 50.00AdminCancelFee) - $1478 = $1171.69 off AVP Plan,

which I can use to pay down my car loan by $1000, and ~ pay most of the $150 Deep Check and $99 Lombard Centro Required Test Drive.

... and then there's the Peace of Mind.

Thanks to all at Ford Edge Forum for sharing your experience.

Used Car Evaluation went well.

Everything checked out by a Ford Technician.

Shaking was while braking, and could be resolved by polishing the rotors;

Brakes were given a "6/32 6/32", Tires "8/32 8/32"

Almost makes me wonder why I am getting a Warranty ...

Peace of Mind perhaps.

(not sure why the attached image is fuzzy ... local one is clear using Mac Preview)

IMG_20220302_112537861CorrectedSmall.jpg

Edited by billycar

Points well made.

My Edge Titanium has a good CARFAX record, and a previous Service Dept shared it had been well maintained.

The color is growing on me ... turns more metallic gray on cloudy days

Agate Black is Beautiful, too

My '96 Ford Ranger XLT is Black, especially with a good coat of polish!

Photo shows my attempt to create a Ford Explorer out of a Ranger XLT with hard camper shell

(couldn't afford the '96 Explorer, but have loved my Ranger all the way through 240,000 ...)

To Infinity and Beyond!!!

LoL

PSX_20220304_132342.jpg

• Like 1

The Motor World dealer, where I bought my 2015 Edge, is replacing both front and rear rotors and brake pads under their 30 Day Promise Warranty.

Under their direction, I took it in to their trusted Slayton's Auto Shop, and had it analyzed by them.

Motor World responded and I will now set up an appointment for the work to be done at Slayton's, when the parts come in.

Nice.

• Like 1

Update

My FORD ESP 24,000/24 month Warranty went through.

Passed their Centro Inspection by a descendant of the Virginia Jefferson family.

Should I keep the FORD ESP Warranty at a cost of about $1500?

Trying to be the mature one, and overlook a somewhat rude employee at our local Ford Dealer: would not let me return a part approved for return by Ford Accessories Online: a lockable gas cap that doesn't work on a 2015. They yelled out as I entered: "You're not going to try and return that part are you?"

Also a person who had just picked up his new looking Ford truck from their shop, stopped and yelled out his window: " It took 3 weeks to get this back!!!"

Or should I keep an "AVP Warranty" I purchased at the Used Car Dealer for around $2700? and be able to get my car repaired anywhere I choose? (18/18,000)

Rationalizing: If I need a large repair covered by Warranty, I'll probably want to go to a Ford Dealership Shop ... right?

FORD parts, FORD know how, etc? 24 vrs 18 months ... 24,000 vis 18,000 miles ...

Edited by billycar

Personally I would go with Fords ESP warranty.  That's not to say that they're aren't any other skilled mechanics or other good warranties etc. Ford ESP will cover your repair at any Lincoln/ Ford dealership in any city in the country and Canada.

Pay for rental coverage as well.  Yes the stealership has held my edge hostage. Yes it can take longer than anyone would like to have their repair completed. Things happen. It's not the norm but the exception.  As we are all aware there is a national shortage on parts for various manufactures. If the newish looking truck that you previously mentioned was there for service, it could be possibly due to whatever part needed to be replaced etc. 

When my car was at the dealership and it took them longer than a few weeks to replace the BCM. They needed a "Ford Engineer" to do some programing for it that the dealership techs were not able to complete. I work for the city and I drive from location to location. I can do as little as 0 miles a day or 50 depending on whatever the schedule for the day is.

I paid $5/ day to cover regulatory rental fees etc.... I also had a new hybrid fusion.... The money I paid was pale in comparison to the money I saved in gas and the mileage I saved on their dime.

I was also to recover the majority of rental fees from Ford Corporate.  What other warranty/ company will do that?

• Thanks 1

Officially signed out of the dealer's Assurer Vehicle Protection extended warranty ...

And accepting the FORD ESP offered through Lombard Ford.

I think I did the best of None, AVP or ESP

Won't need to add Rental as I still have my '96 Ranger and State Farm Auto Insurance which has Rental options.

Time Will Tell

Edited by billycar
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Rotors and Pads now replaced.

Ford ESP Base Care now paid in full.

2 years / 24,000 miles

According to  Carfax reports last full servicing of all fluids was around 91,000

At 126,000.  I'm thinking I'll start anew and do all that again, including maybe replacing spark plugs with "E3's".

Suggestions about maintenance we;lcomed.

Edited by billycar

Where are the recommendations listed? My '96 Ranger has them in it's manual if I remember correctly. I've got all the original printed materials in a nice cloth wallet/pocketbook ...  paper manual, other things and the original car window sales list of add-ons.

Edited by billycar

14 hours ago, billycar said:

Where are the recommendations listed? 

For a late model Edge, they're listed in the owners manual. Your Ranger (as well as my 2009 MKX) have a separate maintenance manual. Ford stopped that due to cost. (If fact I believe they eliminated the printed  owners manual as well, in late model cars).

Most here feel it's better to change fluids sooner than what Ford recommends. Especially for the equipment where they claim that its good for life. It's true most fluids can go 60k or 90k, but most studies indicate that fluid change earlier prevents problems. 

In addition, there ard several different schedules for different driving conditions. Have you ever driven through deep water? A different schedule kicks in at that point. For example, in my 2009 MKX, the PTU has no requirement for fluid change. Unless I drive through water deep enough to touch the housing. Considering wave action and splashing, that can be as little as a foot of water. Lincoln then recommends changing the fluid. Rear Axle as well. (Manual says "submerged" but dealer's service manager told me whenever there was any possibility of water entering the vent). There are different schedules for dusty roads, excessive idling, etc. I drive short trips. And my car sits for long periods between trips. Engine draws moisture into oil and other fluids (normal engine use burns the water out, sitting doesn't).

Changing to PTU fluid at 30k intervals (Lincoln says its lifetime) is good insurance. I had the unit replaced last year under warranty. The fluid turned to sludge and stopped lubricating. Had the RDU fluid & break (wink) fluid changed as well.

And we haven't even started discussing changing the air in our tires. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1