How much oil is too much?

ben senise

2020 Edge ST (2.7 EcoBoost, just under 10,000 km)

i noticed a good amount of smoke from the exhaust when i stomp on the go pedal. it doesn't happen at idle or giving it gas in park/neutral.

I connect my OBD reader and it gave no codes. I then thought I would check for excessive oil consumption but found the level to be higher than i would expect on the dipstick. the oil has about 4,000 km on it and is still quite clean so it's hard for me to tell exactly what the level is. I can tell that it's above the small hole that's above the cross-hatch pattern on the dipstick.

I think too much oil can cause smoke and can also damage the engine, no? doesn't it score the cylinders or something like that? i'm wondering if i have done any damage already. it only smokes under heavy throttle so would the damage only occur then?

What should i do? the dealer that did the last service is closed now, as in not there anymore. the same owner has two other dealers so i can go there but this is going to be a hassle since surely they will say that i must have added the oil myself.

is there any way to remove just a bit of oil? or do i need to do another oil change?

i'd be grateful for any suggestions you have and information regarding the severity of this problem.

Edited by ben senise

1 hour ago, WWWPerfA_ZN0W said:

too much oil can blow seals over time, and cause excess oil vapors to end up in the combustion chamber for sure.

should be able to pump out the excess using the dipstick tube as an entryway.  you do have to wait 15 minutes after engine shutoff to check oil level.

thanks for the info MacT. i tried putting a quite narrow polyethylene tube down the dipstick tube but it wouldn't go. do you happen to know exactly how narrow of a tube i have to use?

1 hour ago, 1004ron said:

Don't think an extractor will work well on the 2.7, but you should be able to extract just a little if the tube diameter is no greater than the dipstick width.

Fast, Clean Oil Changes - Edge ST - Ford Edge Forum

Also there is a restriction orifice in the dipstick well that will slow the oil entering into the well. The extractor will lose it's prime almost immediately.

• Like 3