All of a sudden temperature display missing from touch screen on 22 Edge ST

I've had the car about 2 weeks and around 400 miles on it.  All of a sudden today the temperature display is missing from the upper right corner of the large display screen.  It just shows a dash there.  The temperature still displays on the right dash panel behind the steering wheel like it always does.  I have restarted the car multiple times and it won't come back.

I went into the settings and noticed that they show Celsius instead of Fahrenheit, and KM instead of miles.  I figured this must have something to do with the missing temperature, so I changed them both back to Fahrenheit and miles, but every time I change them, the settings, within about 2 seconds switch back to the metric settings.  No matter how many times I change them, they change back.  I think somehow the 2 are related.  

Any ideas on what to do?  I dread taking it to the dealer already, and they will probably say they are backlogged and it could take weeks to get to it.

I would give it a few days and see what happens. It is probably a server side issue. Then you could do a factory reset if not working, and it should come back up. By any chance do you live in an area of limited cell service or have you set up connection to your house wifi if it reaches garage? This could help if it needs to download data or update. I just got a letter on a recall or bad back up camera screen and my car auto updated it without a visit to dealer

The following is from relevant sections of the 2022 Edge Workshop Manual...

The Outside Air Temperature Display Is Inoperative or Incorrect

Outside Air Temperature - Normal Operation

The Ambient Air Temperature (AAT) sensor is hardwired to the PCM through separate input and return circuits. The PCM provides a reference voltage to the Ambient Air Temperature (AAT) sensor and monitors the change in voltage resulting from changes in resistance as determined by outside air temperature.

The PCM sends the ambient air temperature data to the GWM through the HS-CAN1 . The GWM sends the ambient air temperature message to the HVAC module over the MS-CAN .

The HVAC module filters the data and sends the ambient air temperature filtered data back to the GWM over the MS-CAN . The GWM sends the ambient air temperature filtered message to the IPC over the HS-CAN3 .

The HVAC module is programmed to update the messaged outside temperature data at different rates depending on several criteria to prevent false temperature displays due to a condition known as heat soaking. Heat soaking is where the outside air temperature is hotter in the location of the Ambient Air Temperature (AAT) sensor than the actual outside air temperature.

The outside air temperature display update strategy requires a starting temperature to update from. This starting temperature is controlled based on the length of time the engine is off and the engine temperature. When the engine has been off for longer than 6 hours, the update strategy begins with the unfiltered ambient air temperature input to the PCM . If the engine has been off for less than 6 hours, and the engine coolant temperature is less than 49° C (120° F), the update strategy begins with the filtered ambient air temperature equal to the unfiltered ambient air temperature. If the engine has been off for less than 6 hours, and the engine coolant temperature is greater than 49° C (120° F), the update strategy begins at the stored previous outside air temperature value.

When the sensed outside temperature rises and the vehicle speed is above 33 km/h (21 mph), the outside air temperature display updates after approximately 90 seconds. As the vehicle speed increases, the outside air temperature display updates at a faster rate that is proportional to the increase in vehicle speed. Once the vehicle speeds exceeds 81 km/h (50 mph), the display updates without any delay. If the vehicle speed drops below 33 km/h (21 mph), the update delays reset. When the sensed outside temperature drops, the display updates more quickly following the drop experienced by the Ambient Air Temperature (AAT) sensor.

Outside Air Temperature - Fault Conditions

If the air ambient temperature message is missing or invalid for less than 5 seconds, the IPC defaults the outside air temperature display to the last temperature reading, based upon the last message received.

If the air ambient temperature message is missing or invalid for 5 seconds or longer from the PCM , the IPC displays all dashes (- - ) in the outside air temperature display area.

Possible Sources

• Communication concern
  • Ambient Air Temperature (AAT) sensor input to the PCM
  • GWM concern
  • HVAC module concern

You mention that the Outside Air Temperature value is correctly displaying on the right side message center of your Instrument Panel Cluster, which suggests the AAT sensor, Powertrain Control Module, and Gateway Module communication to the Instrument Panel Cluster is good, but that the communication of the Outside Air Temperature value to the Center Stack Touch Screen is missing.

Given that your Edge has just 400 miles on it, and the disappearance occurred suddenly, it's possible a wiring connector is not fully seated and the proper data communication to the Center Stack Touch Screen is now interrupted.

You also mention the Settings menu does not allow you to change from Metric measurement values to English measurement values, though you don't mention if you're attempting this using the Center Stack Touch Screen, or if any-or-all data values in the display are expressed in Metric measurement.  If indeed you're using the Touch Screen to attempt that Settings change, the the lack of success, as you say, may be related to an apparent communications problem, possibly caused by a not-fully-seated electrical connector.

As a check on System function, try using your Edge's steering wheel controls to access the Settings menu in the right hand side message center of the Instrument Panel Cluster to change the measurement values from English to Metric and back to English for you IPC.

Overcome your (understandable) dread of returning your Edge to the dealership, and give your sales rep a call to see if he-or-she can facilitate scheduling a more prompt Service appointment and loaner-vehicle provision, on your behalf. Your sales rep has a vested interest in you remaining a satisfied dealership customer.

Also keep in mind, they are no more happy than you, to be correcting a warranty issue so soon after a vehicle's delivery to its new owner.

I checked OASIS to see if any Technical Service Bulletin regarding you concern showed up, but I found none, though I only used model year in my request, and searching by VIN is a more sure method.

Good luck!

Edited by Haz
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, MLTEdge said:

I would give it a few days and see what happens. It is probably a server side issue. Then you could do a factory reset if not working, and it should come back up. By any chance do you live in an area of limited cell service or have you set up connection to your house wifi if it reaches garage? This could help if it needs to download data or update. I just got a letter on a recall or bad back up camera screen and my car auto updated it without a visit to dealer

Thanks for the response.  I live in suburban Phoenix, so no lack of cell reception.  I can also hook up to my wifi and there were no updates.

On 5/7/2022 at 2:05 AM, Haz said:

The following is from relevant sections of the 2022 Edge Workshop Manual...

The Outside Air Temperature Display Is Inoperative or Incorrect

Good luck!

Thanks for the useful and detailed response.  I don't know if it is just luck or not, and still concerned about why it failed yesterday, but this afternoon when I went out to start the Edge, the temperature was back on the display.  Hopefully this will stay on forever, because if it is intermittent it is always hard to diagnose.  If it does occur again, I will try the settings on the right hand side message center to see if it will change from metric to english, although I don't recall seeing that level of being able to change those settings from the steering wheel.  If it is indeed a loose connection, that also isn't real good as they probably have to take the whole dash off or something drastic to get to it.  I'll report back here if it occurs again.  

Edited by 1004ron
No need to quote everyting
  • Like 1

From the 2022 Edge Workshop Manual...

Manual APIM Reset

Simultaneously press and hold the POWER button (in the middle of the volume button) and the RIGHT SEEK button on the audio controls panel to reboot the APIM . As the APIM reboot begins, the display unit turns black before the startup sequence begins.

Good luck!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Davidoo said:

I did not realize that.  Does that still work for the new generation of the large stack monitor in the center console area?  

Yep. Works perfect on my 2021, and I've had to use it several times. New cars are just like computers and smartphones, need to reboot every now and then. Turning car off does not reset apim

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, Davidoo said:

Thanks Haz and MLTEdge.  That would be better than having to reset and re-enter all the presets and everything as I assume this reboot would keep the settings entered?

Some good news for you.  After a recent update, I had to do a master reset.  Having learned in my 2019 Escape, I went out and wrote down all my presets beforehand.  When I did the reset in Sync 4A, I did NOT lose my presets!  Most everything was there.  I think there were a few little settings that I had to make.  Ford has made significant strides in my opinion. 

Hello, 

Though my question is not related to the temperature display, it is related to the newest over-the-air updated that was released on May 4th, 2022. Has anyone noticed that their front camera only work’s intermittently? I have done the APIM soft reset and this does not seem to fix the issue.   

Just noticed this on Ford's Professional Technician System bulletin board...

May 9 2022 2021 - 2022 Edge, APIM Software Update Failures

The Ford Technical Assistance Center and Ford IT teams are aware that due to server related concerns, APIM programming is failing with an error message stating “Procedure Unsuccesful - GetConfigDataFromGIVIS Modified Configuration data is missing from Ford server". Monitor PTS for updates.

If any updates are provided, I'll pass them along.

Good luck!

52 minutes ago, Haz said:

The Ford Technical Assistance Center and Ford IT teams are aware that due to server related concerns, APIM programming is failing with an error message stating “Procedure Unsuccesful - GetConfigDataFromGIVIS Modified Configuration data is missing from Ford server". Monitor PTS for updates.

Good luck!

Thank you!!! I do appreciate this! I never realized how much I enjoy the front camera until it is gone

4 hours ago, Haz said:

Good luck!

Thank you!!! I do appreciate this! I never realized how much I enjoy the front camera until it is gone

**UPDATE**

I am currently at the dealership to get my oil change done. There is a recent recall (Ford Recall #: 22S14), apparently this is a full day job at the shop, and should correct most of the issues. I am going to book it and see if this works. 

11 hours ago, Rysiu said:

Hello, 

Though my question is not related to the temperature display, it is related to the newest over-the-air updated that was released on May 4th, 2022. Has anyone noticed that their front camera only work’s intermittently? I have done the APIM soft reset and this does not seem to fix the issue.   

OK, how do you even get the front camera to display?  I didn't know you could do that.

Ford must be on it. Got another update yesterday. Details page not coming up for me, but guessing it was some bugs such as camera. I don't have 360 so unsure. If available on your car, highly recommend adding your home wifi if it reaches garage, seems to help me get updates quickly.

14 hours ago, Davidoo said:

OK, how do you even get the front camera to display?  I didn't know you could do that.

For the 180° view system, you can trigger on the front camera when the car is below 6 mph, by touching the camera button on the audio screen. Lolks like a little movie projector.

There are two different views, one for directly in front and the 2nd showing approx 180°.

May 12 2022 RESOLVED: 2021 - 2022 Edge, APIM Software Update Failures

RESOLVED- The Ford Technical Assistance Center and Ford IT teams are aware that due to server related concerns, APIM programming was failing with an error message stating “Procedure Unsuccesful - GetConfigDataFromGIVIS Modified Configuration data is missing from Ford server". This has been resolved.

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

For any 2019-2020 Edge/Nautilus owners reviewing this discussion due to Sync 3 screen loss of temperature display, please see...

TSB 22-2225 2019-2020 Edge & Nautilus + Other Models: SYNC 3 - Various SYNC Symptoms, SYNC Screen Flicker, Echo/Robotic Voice Concerns, Temperature Not Displayed In Pop Up Screen

Good luck!

Edited by Haz