ST Overheating

Rick P

I am new to the form because I just got my 2020 ST. It only had 3419 miles on it when it arrived from out of state last week. I only got to drive it 4 miles to the gas station and back. It started overheating so bad the over temperature screen came on.  No Check Engine Light though. I spoke with the used car dealer I purchased it from and he said he drove it for a couple of hundred miles without any problems.. I had it towed into the dealer, thank you Roadside Assistance. They said the thermostat was locked shut. After that they found that the radiator wasn't flowing properly and they are replacing it. The service writer said that Ford was going to want it back to see why it's not flowing properly because it's so low miles. I do like the ST with the little bit I was able to drive it. The question I have is has anyone experienced something like this with their ST?  Thx

• Confused 1

I haven't . . Love the car. 2021 ST.

PS they want it back??? Never heard of this on a used car. I have seen them send techs and engineer to inspect, tear down at dealer site, had this on  vette i bought that wouldn't shift correctly.

Are they buying it back from you or properly compensating you?

Edited by MLTEdge

24 minutes ago, MLTEdge said:

I haven't . . Love the car. 2021 ST.

PS they want it back??? Never heard of this on a used car. I have seen them send techs and engineer to inspect, tear down at dealer site, had this on  vette i bought that wouldn't shift correctly.

Are they buying it back from you or properly compensating you?

He said they want the radiator back.

18 minutes ago, dajo2012 said:

He said they want the radiator back.

Makes much more sense. Let them have it, consider an extended warranty. Search this forum, you'll see some Ford discounts, dealer might match. PennFed has great rates for powertrain coverage, plan to buy one just before I hit 1 year ownership.

30 minutes ago, todd92 said:

Thermostat stuck shut and radiator 'not flowing' on a 2 year old car with 3,000 miles?   Something very wrong.

Might not even be 2 years old. My 2020 ST was build December 16th 2020. That's crazy if no foul play. I haven't had any overheating problems in mine ~5K miles and in Florida heat

On 7/4/2022 at 3:34 PM, Rick P said:

I am new to the form because I just got my 2020 ST. It only had 3419 miles on it when it arrived from out of state last week. I only got to drive it 4 miles to the gas station and back. It started overheating so bad the over temperature screen came on.  No Check Engine Light though. I spoke with the used car dealer I purchased it from and he said he drove it for a couple of hundred miles without any problems.. I had it towed into the dealer, thank you Roadside Assistance. They said the thermostat was locked shut. After that they found that the radiator wasn't flowing properly and they are replacing it. The service writer said that Ford was going to want it back to see why it's not flowing properly because it's so low miles. I do like the ST with the little bit I was able to drive it. The question I have is has anyone experienced something like this with their ST?  Thx

Any evidence its been touched before? I would look at bolt heads at the thermostat housing. Possibly was previously tuned and a lower temp thermostat installed then removed by the previous owner. Could be air locked if that's the case.

On 7/4/2022 at 3:34 PM, Rick P said:

Any update on this, and response to the comments?

Has the issue been resolved and was it covered under warranty?

Did you actually want to keep the failed radiator and thermostat? - when Ford installs new warranty replacement parts, the old ones belong to them.