CV Axel Replacement/ creaking noise

Hello, I was wondering if anybody has had experience with CV axel issues? I have a slight creaking noise in my 2011 Ford Edge SEL while turning my wheel at very slow speeds and am curious if this could be the issue. My vehicle has 84,000 miles and just had both front struts replaced so I can eliminate that being the potential issue. If anybody who has experienced this issue could help me with the diagnosis I would greatly appreciate it. As well as anybody who has gotten these replaced, if you could please shed some light on how much this repair costs. Thank you!

Edited by ColinM31

@handfiler I’m not sure if the upper strut mount bearings were replaced. But I don’t recall hearing this noise at all before expect in the last couple of weeks. The strut noise was the usual clunking, but after both were replaced I recall a period of time where there was no noise. Both struts were replaced less than 6 months ago. Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all,

I was wondering if anyone has had any experience getting their CV Axel's replaced at the Dealership (Or any Mechanic's Shop)? If so could you please share some information on the matter: how long it took, how much it costed, any kind of warranty with the repair, etc? I am starting to think that mine will need to be replaced soon on my 2011 Ford Edge SEL AWD, it only has 85,000 miles but I am starting to hear a clicking noise when turning the wheels left to right at slow speeds Thank you all in advance!

That’s a great idea! I called a mom and pop shop yesterday and he ball parked over $1k for job, I thought that seemed kind of high. Especially with you showing me that link where they will come out and do the repair for $600. I’d like to be around $300-400 (if not cheaper) but not sure that is possible.

• 4 weeks later...

I just replaced the passenger side strut mount hoping it was the clicking problem in my 2011 SEL.  It wasn't so I'm gonna replace the CV axle next.  Looks like a fairly easy job so I'm thinking of just grabbing one at Autozone for $110.00 and doing it myself. Mine clicks while turning right at slow speed.

Edited by fishx65

Let me know how you make out? I took mine to a fire dealership and they did an inspection of the entire front end and found no issues. I even specified my my concern with the CV axels. They found an extremely small leak in the power steering pump but said it’s something that can just be monitored every inspection to see if it’s worsen. Still thinking about doing the axels myself if it’s not too hard.

13 hours ago, fishx65 said:

I just replaced the passenger side strut mount hoping it was the clicking problem in my 2011 SEL.  It wasn't so I'm gonna replace the CV axle next.  Looks like a fairly easy job so I'm thinking of just grabbing one at Autozone for $110.00 and doing it myself. Mine clicks while turning right at slow speed.

There's a pretty good "How-to" Youtube video by TRQ which makes it look super easy.  Ran out to Autozone this morning and grabbed the CV Axle and a 36mm socket.  Only took me a half hour to get the axle out but will wait for a friend this afternoon to install the new one.  Definitely worth doing if you have the time and a little mechanical ability.  I'll edit this post later if I run into any snags putting the new one in.

• Like 1

Thank you! I would greatly appreciate any pictures or tips you find out during your repair. Also maybe break down at the end how much it cost when all said and done. I have a quote for $575 right now for both driver and passenger side replacement. I’d also love to know if it solves the noise you were hearing 

On 10/5/2022 at 4:05 PM, ColinM31 said:

Thank you! I would greatly appreciate any pictures or tips you find out during your repair. Also maybe break down at the end how much it cost when all said and done. I have a quote for $575 right now for both driver and passenger side replacement. I’d also love to know if it solves the noise you were hearing 

It was pretty easy to get the new CV axle in.  I crawled under and held it in place while a buddy tapped it in with a rubber mallet.  The whole job from start to finish took about an hour and a half and was exactly how it looked in that TRQ Youtube vid. I just used a floor jack and jack stand to lift the passenger side. My torque wrench only goes to 150 ft lbs so I just cranked the axle nut on with a hunk of pipe which was probably pretty close to 268 ft lbs.  Paid  $130.00 for the new axle and a 36mm socket from Autozone. No more clicking when turning to the right!!!! It was way easier than I thought it would be:)  The $575 quote you received for both sides seems extremely reasonable if it includes both CV axles.

Edited by fishx65
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 10/5/2022 at 4:05 PM, ColinM31 said:

Not sure if it's common but the CV axle I purchased at Autozone is not balanced or the CV joints are bad.  I'm getting a shimmy when accelerating and it seems to be getting worse.  I will be replacing it with a genuine Ford part and getting a refund from Autozone.  I highly recommend grabbing one from the stealership for $170.00. 

Just a quick update:  The brand new Auto Zone axle had a really bad inner CV joint. Put the Motorcraft CV axle in last night and it's perfect:)  Only took a half hour this time!!

Edited by fishx65
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...