2020 Edge ST Transmission/Powertrain Issue(s)

pgmtry

I apologize if this topic already exists on this forum--please redirect me if needed. Searched but didn't come across one.

I have a 2020 Edge ST with 30K miles. Five months ago during a road trip I began to notice a subtle lag/jolt and wood-like 'thunk/knock' when coasting between 10 and 15 MPH and gently pressing the gas to maintain speed (10-15 MPH). Occurred only in this range--low RPM, low speed. As the months have gone by, this issue persisted--I've developed the ability to trigger it consistently--at low speed/RPM. The last few weeks the issue (lag/jolt and thunk/knock) now appears occasionally when rolling to a stop--occurs about a half second before a full stop. Also appears occasionally in the 35 MPH range.  I took the ST into a Ford dealership two weeks ago and was referred to their service advisor who was said to have considerable transmission experience.  He had the transmission software reset and asked me to drive the car normally for several days and see what develops.  Unfortunately, the issue remains. He asked me to bring the car back if things didn't change, so I intend to see him later this week.

Anyone have any thoughts/ideas/recommendations?

Many Thanks!

I also experienced this on my old Titanium. My bucking was at slightly higher speeds, 45 range. Dealer kept telling software issue, finally took to another dealer who confirmed TC and replaced along with a complete transmission rebuild since it took 49k miles to properly confirm. Transmission was burned up. I became proactive to fix since warranty was about up. Just like you found myself driving differently to avoid kick so I could live with it.

• 1 year later...
On 8/28/2022 at 3:16 PM, pgmtry said:

I apologize if this topic already exists on this forum--please redirect me if needed. Searched but didn't come across one.

I have a 2020 Edge ST with 30K miles. Five months ago during a road trip I began to notice a subtle lag/jolt and wood-like 'thunk/knock' when coasting between 10 and 15 MPH and gently pressing the gas to maintain speed (10-15 MPH). Occurred only in this range--low RPM, low speed. As the months have gone by, this issue persisted--I've developed the ability to trigger it consistently--at low speed/RPM. The last few weeks the issue (lag/jolt and thunk/knock) now appears occasionally when rolling to a stop--occurs about a half second before a full stop. Also appears occasionally in the 35 MPH range.  I took the ST into a Ford dealership two weeks ago and was referred to their service advisor who was said to have considerable transmission experience.  He had the transmission software reset and asked me to drive the car normally for several days and see what develops.  Unfortunately, the issue remains. He asked me to bring the car back if things didn't change, so I intend to see him later this week.

Anyone have any thoughts/ideas/recommendations?

Many Thanks!

Hey, I have a similar problem as you, absolutely everything is as you described above.  Appeared literally a week or so. Have you figured out what the problem is?

At around 45k miles mine developed a pop noise similar to what the OP described. It sounded like someone tapping an empty soda bottle on the ground. It occurred when coming to a stop or lightly accelerating. I could reproduce it easily at low speed and sometimes even on the highway. Dealer claimed it was a loose axle nut. It stopped for a week and started again. Never figured it out. 

these noises sound like they could be driveline lash going from one state to the other.

loaded to unloaded or the other way around, like from a down shift/upshift

that could be caused by the engagement or disengagement of the rear drive.

just a guess