Towing Capacity on 2016 2.7l

Hey Guys, 

I was wondering if any of you know what about the 2016 2.7L Sport makes it only capable of towing 2,000lb when the 3 other trims all can haul 3,500lb? It puts out more Hp and Torque than the 3 other trims. Tires? Transmission? Suspension? 

I'm looking to get a boat in spring and need to figure out if I'm gonna have to get rid of my baby. 

Let me know your thoughts. Thanks! 

It looks to me like the 2016 and 2017 2.7l Sport did not have an option for a towing package so the only option is aftermarket.

When means no upgraded radiator or oil cooler.  Maybe that could be the reason for the lower towing capacity. 

A normally aspirated  engine like the 3.5L produces less heat at sustained higher horsepower delivery then a forced induction (turbo) 2.7l engine.

They used to say:

There is no replacement

for cubic inch displacement

2 hours ago, FatalScroll said:

I've seen that video and he is incorrect and he even states that it's only 2,000 in a different video. 

I have an aftermarket class 3 hitch installed on mine. What happens if I tow say a 2,500lb boat? 

You sure that it wasn't the previous Gen? Because there's no oil cooler or trans cooler part of the towing package for the 2015+ edge. The Sports didn't have a factory towing package & you'd have to go after market for a hitch & wiring, but limited to 3,500lbs. I also have a Curt class 3 hitch & after market wiring for a 4 pin connector. I usually just pull a ZTR, but I can pull a more if I want to. 

20220903_124418.jpg

part-1_20220604_103019.jpg

Yeah pretty sure because he said something along the lines of the 2.7 will grenade itself which doesn't make much sense to me as the MKX has the 2.7 and a 3500 tow capacity. 

I already have the hitch installed along with wiring, I use it for my small trailer but was worried about pulling a boat in-between 2-3k because the capacity is lower, I could just never figure out why. 

Edited by FatalScroll

51 minutes ago, FatalScroll said:

Yeah pretty sure because he said something along the lines of the 2.7 will grenade itself which doesn't make much sense to me as the MKX has the 2.7 and a 3500 tow capacity. 

I already have the hitch installed along with wiring, I use it for my small trailer but was worried about pulling a boat in-between 2-3k because the capacity is lower, I could just never figure out why. 

I just remembered something that it also has to be AWD to get 3500lbs, FWD is limited to 2000lbs. I think that it has something to do with bigger brakes & when you take off the weight transfers to the back, so having AWD helps there. All 2016 - 2018 Sports are AWD (2015 they made some FWD versions) & all ST's are AWD. 

If I could go back in time, I would have bought my 2020 SEL with the towing package so I wouldn't have to install the hitch & wiring, but I have a better hitch & don't have a hole in the bumper. 

If you want to continue towing near the max towing, I'd recommend changing fluids much earlier than recommended, upgrading your pads & rotors & look at helper springs to deal with the sagging. I bought Air Lift Springs & they definitely help with sagging when towing heavier things or when I have passengers in the back or lots of cargo. 

Screenshot_20220904-213936_Gallery.jpg

It is the AWD version. It'll be running Mobil 1 Full Synthetic and newer tires and not cheapie, will be changing the tyranny fluid before I get the boat as well. I feel like it's capable of towing the 3500 but the fact that the official thing from Ford said 2,000 had me concerned. Also replacing the brakes soon as well. Does anyone have any pads they recommend for good stopping power while towing? 

Edited by FatalScroll

As per the service manual for the 2015 model, first year for Gen2, there are differences in the cooling systems for vehicles equipped with the tow package. So better cooling is part of the reason why the factory tow package allows for more towing capacity. 

Engine Cooling - Component Location 35L.pdf

Engine Cooling - Component Location 27l.pdf

Engine Cooling - Component Location 20l.pdf

• Like 1

Worst case scenario if my car couldnt handle it I would trade it in but hoping it won't come to that. If it's a cooling issue its easy enough to tell if the engine is getting hot. 

It's just been hard for me to grasp that Both my 2016 Edge Sport and my 2018 Escape with a 1.5L have the same towing capacity despite the edge being almost twice as powerful. My Edge feels like it has a lot of power while my Escape feels like one of the most underpowered cars I've ever driven (It is great on gas though so I do like it as I commute 30m to work). I know a lot goes into coming up with these numbers.

I plan on pulling my buddies Bayliner with it as a test and seeing how it handles. This may not even really be a factor as idk what type of boat I will get. I know my wife wants comfortable seats in the bow but I also want something that I can fish with. I guess it's really going to come down to what's available at buying time. I like the looks of a 2021 Smokercraft 172 Ultima Legacy and the dry weight on something like that is only 1300#, but if we went the bowrider way those are a lot heavier.

Does anyone else have any last-minute insight/tips for me?

Edited by FatalScroll

It's not a case of power, see the 2.7l F150 towing capacity, it can tow much more. It's to do with numerous things - braking, cooling and what the chassis and suspension can handle, all this equates to what the vehicle can tow safely and reliably with buffer room. No matter what they rate towing capacity there will be a fool, not saying that this is you, that figures there vehicle can handle 2 or 3 thousand over its rating even if the manufacturer posted a vehicles absolute maximum towing capacity. Power is not the issue. Imagine someone trying to tow a 6 or 7 thousand pound load with an edge. ?

10 hours ago, Perblue said:

It's not a case of power, see the 2.7l F150 towing capacity, it can tow much more. It's to do with numerous things - braking, cooling and what the chassis and suspension can handle, all this equates to what the vehicle can tow safely and reliably with buffer room. No matter what they rate towing capacity there will be a fool, not saying that this is you, that figures there vehicle can handle 2 or 3 thousand over its rating even if the manufacturer posted a vehicles absolute maximum towing capacity. Power is not the issue. Imagine someone trying to tow a 6 or 7 thousand pound load with an edge. ?

Lets not forget the rear wheel drive coupler and transmission cooler.

I recall that the RDU coupler is the achilles heel when it comes to towing with AWD vehicles.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...