Swapping 20" wheels for 17"

crossboss

Off the top of my head, I know they have the same bolt pattern. Not sure of the offset nor hub size. More importantly 18" is the smallest wheel size for the edge. Your spare is 18" Not wanting to assume but I think 18" is the smallest wheel that you can use that will clear the brakes.   There are a few members who have both vehicles. Hopefully they will chime in with clarification.

In comparing the 18" tires that came on my mix from the factory to the 20" on there now, even a small difference in diameter makes it look different. Not much, but I prefer the larger size for looks. (Doesn't ride as well however).

Back to the op's question, yes, the 2008 Edge SE came with 235-65/17" tires; so they will fit. The pressure sensors are strap type (at least they are on my 09, assume yours are the same). And, due to the age, and these sensors have an battery life span estimated at 10 years, plan on buying new sensors as well. (I had problems with aftermarket strap braking, went with Motorcraft instead. Dealer told me they have a return problem with NAPA and other aftermarket sensors. But expect to pay a lot more for Motorcraft).

14 hours ago, enigma-2 said:

In comparing the 18" tires that came on my mix from the factory to the 20" on there now, even a small difference in diameter makes it look different. Not much, but I prefer the larger size for looks. (Doesn't ride as well however).

Back to the op's question, yes, the 2008 Edge SE came with 235-65/17" tires; so they will fit. The pressure sensors are strap type (at least they are on my 09, assume yours are the same). And, due to the age, and these sensors have an battery life span estimated at 10 years, plan on buying new sensors as well. (I had problems with aftermarket strap braking, went with Motorcraft instead. Dealer told me they have a return problem with NAPA and other aftermarket sensors. But expect to pay a lot more for Motorcraft).

But you can put whatever size 17” tires that match the factory 20”.  Not limited to the OEM sizes.

On 10/1/2022 at 3:50 PM, akirby said:

But you can put whatever size 17” tires that match the factory 20”.  Not limited to the OEM sizes.

With those sidewalls, they'd look like I was driving around with a bias-plys. Add a 4" white wall and ...... 

My spare is 17", but 2" shorter than the Scorpion's. Now, THAT looks small in the wheel well. LOL.

18 hours ago, enigma-2 said:

With those sidewalls, they'd look like I was driving around with a bias-plys. Add a 4" white wall and ...... 

My spare is 17", but 2" shorter than the Scorpion's. Now, THAT looks small in the wheel well. LOL.

Not that big a difference.  This is the 2013 Edge 17” vs 20” OEM tires and wheels.

E7022A93-3269-4611-93AD-B65C3BBEFAAE.jpeg

• Like 1