Exhaust tips: Y vs Offset for a 2016 Sport

TheWall0211

I’m looking to add exhaust tips onto my 2016 Sport.  I found some great looking tips in a Y configuration: 2.5” inlet, 3.5” outlet, dual tip with carbon fiber shell.  Sick.  Bit as I look at the stock exhaust, it looks set fairly inset (iE close to the middle of the car and not the middle of the housing).

when I search various sites, they lead me to Y tips.  Will those work well?  Or do I need to find offset tips?

I prefer not to have to weld, too.  

any comments appreciated.  Any referrals with links are even more appreciated!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TheWall0211 said:

Question: if my exhaust pipe measures 63.5mm inside and 66mm outside, what size exhaust tip am I looking for if I don’t want to weld?  66mm?  67mm?  I’d like it to slip over the stock exhaust pipe and clamp in.

I’m seeing all sorts of unhelpful information online.

Maybe it has to do with the fact that your looking for unobtanium. 2 5/8" is an odd ball size.

• Like 1

Yes I'm aware of that. The trapezoidal openings in the rear lower facia are meant to give the appearance of exhaust tips. I have no idea why Ford didn't make the design exhaust tip installer friendly. My best guess would be to eliminate the need to constantly clean the soot build up that GDI motors produce in abundance. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, handfiler said:

Yes I'm aware of that. The trapezoidal openings in the rear lower facia are meant to give the appearance of exhaust tips. I have no idea why Ford didn't make the design exhaust tip installer friendly. My best guess would be to eliminate the need to constantly clean the soot build up that GDI motors produce in abundance. 

As best I can tell, the facia is easy to remove, as is the plastic hanger underneath.  I want to delete both and hang a dual tip on each side. I think I need an H-style tip with both barrels parallel or the outer one slightly protruding.  Right?  But what intake size?

When running dual exhaust tips using a Y pipe  the exhaust bezels must be removed to make room for the tips . I am running 2 1/2 inch  in and dual 3 inch out tips on my 2016 Sport. Unfortunately you must also remove the tabs that the bezels attach to for the dual tips to fit . This is a permanent mod and once  the tabs are removed they are gone forever and the bezel  cannot be reattached. My tips are staggered with the inside tip shorter and they are also cut at an angle . . The 2.5 inch in and dual 3.5 inch tips out you are looking at will work great, 3.5 is the max size (imo) and will look and sound awesome ?. Theses are dual 2.5 inch tips I later swapped them out for dual 3 inch. Staggered, double wall, cut at an angle.

51B16F25-C9D6-49F4-94DC-4792E5AFC298.jpeg

Here you can see how the bezel is gone for the tips to fit. 2.5 inch tips. 

5B6FA57C-7795-4A61-A80A-1B02E35BFCF1.jpeg

These are the 2.5 inch in and 3 inch out tips that I ended up with hooked up to my MRT Axle Back Exhaust  system. 

333E050E-547D-40A1-ADA7-81B928168884.jpeg.a2f96722a4682877cd403c8002c66593.jpeg.70f868f967a1b04f40aed378c6d996b1.jpeg

Edited by Xtra
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Xtra said:

When running dual exhaust tips using a Y pipe  the exhaust bezels must be removed to make room for the tips . I am running 2 1/2 inch  in and dual 3 inch out tips on my 2016 Sport. Unfortunately you must also remove the tabs that the bezels attach to for the dual tips to fit . This is a permanent mod and once  the tabs are removed they are gone forever and the bezel  cannot be reattached. My tips are staggered with the inside tip shorter and they are also cut at an angle . . The 2.5 inch in and dual 3.5 inch tips out you are looking at will work great, 3.5 is the max size (imo) and will look and sound awesome ?. Theses are dual 2.5 inch tips I later swapped them out for dual 3 inch. Staggered, double wall, cut at an angle.

51B16F25-C9D6-49F4-94DC-4792E5AFC298.jpeg

Here you can see how the bezel is gone for the tips to fit. 2.5 inch tips. 

5B6FA57C-7795-4A61-A80A-1B02E35BFCF1.jpeg

These are the 2.5 inch in and 3 inch out tips that I ended up with hooked up to my MRT Axle Back Exhaust  system. 

333E050E-547D-40A1-ADA7-81B928168884.jpeg

Great info. Thx.

So did you modify beyond just the tips?  How did you get the Y-tip to fit right?  I prefer not to modify the entire exhaust system.  I’m just doing it for cosmetics.

You can get clamp on tips and that’s all you need. You will have to permanently remove the chrome exhaust bezels and the tabs that the bezel screws to for the tips to fit.  Once the tabs are removed the bezels cannot ever be put back on. So be sure about if you want dual tips for there’s no going back. If somehow you can get the tips on without removing the tabs then you will be able to see them and they look (imo) funky.
I suggest for you to go with clamp on Y tips With 2 1/2 inch in and three or  3 1/2 inch out . You can unscrew and takeoff the bezel and then take a look see . Test fit the tips before cutting off the tabs. 

Edited by Xtra