Car won't rev past ~4k in neutral/park

Sjej

Does anyone else's edge do this? I have a 2010 Ford Edge Sport, and the car revs just fine in drive. It'll go to redline, it isnt slow, it isnt going down in mpg, but when trying to rev it in neutral, even with full throttle holding it down, the revs wont go higher than 4k. I don't know if this is just a problem with my car or if anyone else's Edge does this. If it is a problem though it would be nice to know so I can fix it before it becomes a bigger issue

11 hours ago, Sjej said:

Does anyone else's edge do this? I have a 2010 Ford Edge Sport, and the car revs just fine in drive. It'll go to redline, it isnt slow, it isnt going down in mpg, but when trying to rev it in neutral, even with full throttle holding it down, the revs wont go higher than 4k. I don't know if this is just a problem with my car or if anyone else's Edge does this. If it is a problem though it would be nice to know so I can fix it before it becomes a bigger issue

I can appreciate your line of thought in regards to wanting to resolve a issue before it gets worse, has a negative impact on another part etc...

Fortunately there is nothing wrong with your edge. I can't explain the reason why your edge, my edge and every edge that I have revved in park/ neutral only goes to 4k.  Perhaps its a safety feature...

I know of a few owners with modded exhaust (myself included), and we can only hit 4k if we're not moving.  Unfortunately I do not have a technical reason why it works this way, but know that you're not alone with this!

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, akirby said:

It’s a safety feature.  First vehicle I saw that did this was a 2000 Lincoln LS.  Protects the engine and transmission in case you decide to redline it in neutral and drop it into gear.

That explains it. I'm not dumb enough to do that, but I know that some people would. Thank you

From the 2010 Gasoline Engine Powertrain Control/Emissions Diagnosis (PC/ED) Manual, with emphasis added...

Engine RPM And Vehicle Speed Limiter

The PCM disables some or all of the fuel injectors whenever an engine RPM or vehicle over speed condition is detected. The purpose of the engine RPM or vehicle speed limiter is to prevent damage to the powertrain. When the vehicle exhibits a rough running engine condition, the PCM stores one of the following continuous memory diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs): P0219, P0297, or P1270. Once the driver reduces the excessive speed, the engine returns to the normal operating mode. No repair is required. However, the technician should clear the DTCs and inform the customer of the reason for the DTC.

Excessive wheel slippage may be caused by sand, gravel, rain, mud, snow, ice, or excessive and sudden increase in RPM while in NEUTRAL or while driving.

Good luck!

On 10/9/2022 at 6:17 AM, onyxbfly said:

I can appreciate your line of thought in regards to wanting to resolve a issue before it gets worse, has a negative impact on another part etc...

Fortunately there is nothing wrong with your edge. I can't explain the reason why your edge, my edge and every edge that I have revved in park/ neutral only goes to 4k.  Perhaps its a safety feature...

I know of a few owners with modded exhaust (myself included), and we can only hit 4k if we're not moving.  Unfortunately I do not have a technical reason why it works this way, but know that you're not alone with this!

Good to know, interesting to see if adding a new intake/exhaust changes the number at all? I doubt it but I’ll update with my results once I modify the edge

Had a vette that did same thing. Dealer told me it was to protect tranny and engine. Some people were trying to floor it and shift at the same time, and could cause over revs particularly if they accidently went to neutral, car could actually get over red line briefly. Think they got tired of replacing  blown engines,.  Saw one in shop guy had reprogrammed so it would, and they were waiting for him to write a check for around $10k (and this was over 15 years ago) for factory new engine/tranny as they voided his warranty. Interestingly he had removed the chip before towing it in, but the history stored in the car ratted him out.

• Like 1

Not sure if it's the same story with the Edge, but way back when I had my '10 Focus SES it did the same thing in park/neutral. I remember the shop manual for that car said it was also normal, and was to protect the exhaust & related emissions equipment from overheating due to lack of airflow when the vehicle is not moving.

• Thanks 1